Wing Commander Lego Mini's

saf0775

Rear Admiral
raptor.jpg

scimitar.jpg

Made with Lego Digital Designer. The instructions should be up on the Lego site shortly. I've made the four Terran fighters and the Tiger's Claw (which is just over a foot long when built) from WC1. I'll make some cats tomorrow night.

What Lego site would this appear at? Do you have a link? Do you have or does this site have larger pictures?

http://factory.lego.com/default.aspx

Click on the "Gallery" button. In the field that says "user name" type saf0775 and click on the little triangle next to it. All my creations will come up.

I just checked this morning and my WC models aren't approved yet. The process takes about 48 hours, so they may be in there later today or tomorrow morning.

Very cool. It's amazing how many different ways people have come up to display their WC pride.

Thanks!!! I've been a fan of WC since the early days of my 386, and who doesn't like Lego's? I may eventually make minfig scale fighters, but Lego Digital Desinger doesn't have a big selection of colored bricks....so it would make a large scale model difficult. I could probably design a 4 foot model of the Tiger's Claw that would be on scale with my mini fighters, but that will have to wait.

As it is, I'm trying to figure out how to make a good looking Dralthi without having access to orange bricks or plates. It may have to be done in light gray and then you would use the right colors if you have them in you Lego stash.

Nice work on those ships!

They are really small, so I assume it is impossible to make them less blocky. The important thing is that you can recognize them instantly. It is really difficult to build something that small of LEGO and still make it recognizable.
So you did a good job. :)

Here's my Krant. It took me the longest so far, considering it's extremely difficult to make this fighter be both small AND recognizable.

Krant.jpg

I'm glad everyone seems to like them :) It's possible to make them less blocky, but Lego Digital Designer doesn't have every Lego available in every color, so I have to make due with what I'm given. I'm still waiting on Lego to approve my designs, but I think it may be a copyright infringement to make WC models and have Lego sell them for a profit.

Once I finish my WC1 mini's I'll zip all the models into one big file and make them available for download. LDD has a built in feature that shows step by step instructions.

So does the model need to be accepted in order to buy the parts for it? or only to be uploaded to the gallery?

Also, LDR files can be loaded in this (making some of those older ldr models all the cooler!)

Yes, the model has to be accepted both for displaying in the gallery AND to be able to be purchased. All of my WC models were declined because they were in violation of the Lego.com rules, and this was entirely due to copyright stuff.

I'm thinking about taking all the Lego's for making the Raptor (for example) and building something else with them. It would allow you to buy all the Lego's you need to build each ship, then you would just download the model from my website and follow the instructions.

When I checked the estimated price for parts, none of my WC ships cost more then $9.00 from Lego.com.

Shame, still building something else with the same parts does indeed sound like a good idea, It's annoying that you cannot just order a bag of specific parts.

Yeah, I haven't tried that yet but it might actualy work. It's seems more logical to try and make something out of the parts anyways.

I have 50+ lbs of Lego's at the house and I cant build a single WC ship I've designed becuase of the micro-wings that I used in LDD. The wings are new Lego's and all I have are more "classic" blocks from the 80's and 90's.

I tried; nothing came up

It might be a problem with the site. I tried and after 2 attempts it came up. Try typing the user name in lowercase letters.....

I did see that one the pieces that I used to make the model is "out of stock". This means you wont be able to buy the models until they replenish the stock of missing pieces, which usualy takes a week.

http://shop.lego.com/Product/Factory/Product.aspx?p=LFH002&mid=c6151442-9c3c-4a4f-8bbc-a2942e37d9b9

http://shop.lego.com/Product/Factory/Product.aspx?p=LFH002&mid=9dce6582-aded-4267-8a48-fc93cc9a121c

Sigh, even if the parts were available apparently the ships aren't for sale to the UK

No, thats not true at all. It says the same thing about being available in the United States. That is a generic message that is displayed when there are parts that are out of stock. Some of the models I bought a month ago, ones that use the same piece that is 'out of stock', gives me the same message today. I sent an email to Lego.com about this. When the part becomes available then the model will be "cleared" for sale. No worries.

***update - I replaced the affected parts with pieces that are "in stock". I got a price of around $70 for the Kilrathi and about $62 (in US) for the Terran fighters. The models will be up for sale in 48 hours!!!!***

Hey, looks like they're showing out of stock again. Not sure if the new parts ran out or if it hasn't updated yet.

Back