Wing Commander: Kilrathi Saga

If I ever saw one, this is a case of walking around in Harlem with a big "I Hate Niggers" sign... For everyones pleasure, edit Your post and stop butchering this chat zone. It's people like You who made me lave in the first place and as far as I am concerned You're lucky I'm not bestowed with administrative powers.

Read the rules You are forced to agree to before You join. That goes for everyone reading this who is considering joining this place.

Oh yeah, and have a nice day.

Rule 1, gryphon, rule 1... :)
"Also, if you think another user is breaking the rules, do _not_ flame or harass him/her. Let the moderators do their job."

But since I also like Die Hard...
Originally posted by gryphon
If I ever saw one, this is a case of walking around in Harlem with a big "I Hate Niggers" sign (...)
...you're excused! ;)

If you had a problem with the rules, you shouldn't have joined in the first place.

As for the original poster, believe it or not, but I'm so not inclined to help you.

It is a decision I have deeply regretted, due not so much to the great silent majority, but to the little pellets of dust and rabbit dung who make life a living hell for everyone. Woe the world where the loudest voice is right. Ban me already, OK? I don't want to have to curse or spam or anything else, but my intent is clear.

???
According to Home of the Underdogs WC - The Kilrathi Saga is ABANDONWARE! I WAS NOT POSTING ANYTHING ABOUT WAREZ HERE! I would never do this for two reasons: First - I know that this brings this forum in jeopardy! Second - I think warez is for suckers, since it's no better than stealing.
Home of the Underdogs stated that everything they've got on their website is TOTALLY LEGAL! Since they're one of the biggest abandonware sites on the net (and therefore rather well-known), I can't imagine they are lying to everyone. I've just re-read the rules and seen that there is a ban to abandonware, which I had overlooked at first. So I apologize, of course! But a question to the moderators: Why any ban? Abandonware is COMPLETELY LEGAL! Or does any abandonware site on the net lie to me?

Greetings
ButtSeriously

Yes, they're all lying. There is no such thing as abandonware. The companies may not care enough to prosecute, but that doesn't make it right. And it definitely doesn't belong on a board for true fans.

Originally posted by gryphon
It is a decision I have deeply regretted, due not so much to the great silent majority, but to the little pellets of dust and rabbit dung who make life a living hell for everyone. Woe the world where the loudest voice is right. Ban me already, OK? I don't want to have to curse or spam or anything else, but my intent is clear.

I'm not going to ban you just because want to be. I'm not your boytoy. If you hate it here so much, stay away. If you want to talk things over, email.

In this case, I apologize again for the trouble I caused!
I just find it strange that no developer does anything against Underdogs then, since they state that they check regularly whether what they've got online is legal or not. Guess they're just another bunch of suckers...
Sorry again!
But: I've got to state that there ARE some definite abandonware games out there: Sierra, for example, declared Red Baron and Betrayal at Krondor freeware some time ago. And I also know that Microprose did this with B-17. That was intended to promote the sequel, I think.

Greetings
ButtSeriously

It's simply not worth the trouble. And there's a difference between a company releasing a game as freeware, and somebody thinking 3 years is old enough to proclaim 'abandoned'. I'd be willing to bet less than 1% of the games are truly freeware. And Origin is still making money off the first games. KS WC1 was put on a PC Gamer cover disk, and WC2 KS will likely follow. And they paid for that...

Oh, I know that difference for sure. It just seems that Underdogs doesn't! And considering that there's a download ban on some of the games (with the note that company so-and-so pulled back its freeware dedication) I thought they knew what they are doing. Well, apparently not.
Sorry again, folks!
Im off to Underdogs to see what they got to say to that...

Greetings
ButtSeriously

Ah, Serious, I'm surprised that anyone could be so naive to believe that just because someone says it is legal to pirate software, it makes it so. Just read their name, "Underdogs". Not exactly a credible sounding organisation, IMO. Too, their is no such thing as something being declared 'abandonware'. True, a company might declare something freeware after some time, but just listen to yourself - 'freeware' is not the same as 'abandonware'.

Actually, I've mailed them last night! And they still claim that everything that's downloadable on their site is with permission of the publisher.
Well, I don't know who is telling the truth here, so I'm letting my hand off their stuff for now and I'm going back to my old dos-version. Hell, how do I get that thing slower... ?
Oh, and btw.: What's that got to do with "naive"? Do I have to mistrust EVERYONE in this world? I have mistrusted nearly everyone so far, maybe that's not enough. And about their name: Do you bash everyone calling himself a strange name in a forum? Ah, come on, get Serious! ;)
I've seen a lot of things in 15(!) years of gaming, but not a WAREZ site calling itself "legal"!

Greetings
ButtSeriously

It's not that simple!

Well, I took the time of doing some research on what the different companinies' attitude towards abandonware is. I mailed different companies to see what they say. Here is what I found out:
Microsoft hasn't responded (so far).
Activision regards all abandonware distribution of their games illegal.
EA generally regards it to be illegal, since many games out there on abandonware sites were not declared abandonware by EA. BUT, and that's interesting, some sites cooperate with them, including "The Keep" and "Home of the Underdogs". Their content is regarded to be legal by EA. Same goes for LucasArts and Inforgrames, by the way (although both sites don't have any LucasArts software up).
This is not intended to brake a discussion about abandonware loose. This site has a non-abandonware-rule, and I respect that and again apologize for braking it by accident.
But, my dear Wedge, it seems to me that it was rather naive of you to think that the abandonware question is that simple. There's no clear "black or white" here! It's more complicated!

Greetings
ButtSeriously

Nope, it is very clear actually. Exact black and white. Each software got a copyright. And that one is in effect for a looooooong time. Abandonware is just a different name for warez no matter how nice somebody names or explains it.

If a company does not care it is still illegal.

If a company does explicitely allow then it is not abandonware, but freeware. This should not be mixed. It is unfortunate that abandonware sites mix abandonware and freeware.

As far as the Underdogs go... I contacted them regarding KS and SO some months ago. Their response was something in the line of "if it is not sold _NOW_ then it is abandonware and we will carry it". Which means they don't care much if it was still sold yesterday. Mentioned that WC1 of KS was on the coverdisk and SO is a part of WCP Gold. Didn't impress them any as both was too long in the past for them.

At least they did seem to bother to check the data. Just came do different solutions.

Back