Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga on Windows 98SE

U

Unregistered

Hi,

Please help me. I am trying to relive the Wing Commander saga on an old PC which I reformatted solely for this purpose, but I have problem getting the music to play (what's Wing Commander without the music!?!). Sound effects like laser shots however, can play without problems.

I have a Pentium II-400MHz with 512Mb RAM and Sound Blaster Live! sound card. I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 98 Second Edition. I run my WC1 straight from Windows Explorer (not through some shortcut).

I have tried using DOSBox 0.63 but Wing Commander: Kilrathi Saga doesn't seem to be able to run from there. I got an error message which says it cannot run.

PLEASE help... Thanks in advance.

Did you download the game form some abandownware site or buy it? In any case KS is a Windows game and thus won't run in DOSBox, that is normal

Kilrathi saga works great under windows xp for me. I just had to change the resiloution on the compatibility menu and set it for win 95

My XP doesn't require any compatability changes for KS to run. When i had Windows 98, the same happened, all sound, no music. The same applies withXP for me. I think some of the downloads you get just can't fit the music in, because when KS was made computers weren't exactly what they are today.

Just go and buy it IMO.

Peidu said:
My XP doesn't require any compatability changes for KS to run. When i had Windows 98, the same happened, all sound, no music. The same applies withXP for me. I think some of the downloads you get just can't fit the music in, because when KS was made computers weren't exactly what they are today.

The reason is that KS music was comprised of hundreds of megabytes of wav files stored on the first Kilrathi Saga disc. Nobody bothers to distribute that.

Peidu said:
Just go and buy it IMO.

KS is stil expensive, but the good news is that regular WC1/2 are usually flawless in DOSBox. They're only a few dollars on ebay, and you usually don't have any more tweaking necessary than you'd need to get KS running in XP.

I downloaded it from some abandonware site.

The total size downloaded for the game is less than 100Mb, so I suppose some of you are most likely right to point out that the music files were left out.

Thanks so much for the assistance. Anyway, would anyone be able to point out where I can download the music files? Wing Commander just ain't the same without the music! ;-)

Cheerio...

rules said:
11) Linking to, offering, requesting, or hinting at the whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez, copying games or other illegal content, can result in immediate banning.

As has been pointed out, you are better off just getting the originals (dos CD versions) on ebay and running them in DosBox. I mean jeez! You can't spare the couple of bucks it will cost you to get legal copies?

Unregistered said:
IThanks so much for the assistance. Anyway, would anyone be able to point out where I can download the music files? Wing Commander just ain't the same without the music! ;-)

You need to visit ebay and read the forum rules.

Back