Wing commander Kilrathi saga issues in virtual PC

U

Unregistered

Greetings one and all
I'm having some issues with running WingCommander 2 from the Kilrathi saga in Virtual PC (win98). In its "native" form VPC looks like this: http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6199/wcissues1.jpg
A comfortable 800*600 resolution.
Once I try to start the game, my VPC window scales down to this: http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/7877/wcissues2.jpg
A window size smaller than the resolution for the game. If I try to run Virtual PC in full screen, then I'll get some huge black bars on the sides, and I'll see parts of whats going on in WC2 (I'll see just as much of the game as I do in the window shown in picture 2).

My first thought was to edit the .cfg file that can be found in *\kilrathi saga\WC2, which has 2 hex numbers in it, corresponding to the expected game resolution. Well, that did absolutely nothing (I tried to set them to the hex code for 640*480, but there were no noticeable changes in the game). So now I'm at a loss, I have no idea about how to fix this. I'm not an expert at using Virtual PC, having only used it to run 2 games in the past (Chaos gate & Shadow of the horned rat, neither of which I had any issues with). Is my only solution to track down a CD-copy of the game and run it in DOSbox?

(By the way, running the game in WinXP is not an option, I get some very strange speed issues, and from what I could find through a swift google search, this is common).

The speed issue is not specific to Windows XP - it's due to the fact that while the flight sequences are frame-limited, the story cut-scenes are not. Since Kilrathi Saga is designed for Windows anyway, I expect it's not that helpful to try running it under a virtual Windows operating system.

Running the DOS version under DOSbox is a good way of experiencing WC2 on current PCs, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what solutions are available for Kilrathi Saga, short of running it on a very old Windows PC.

It was designed to run in Win9X, so I was hoping that running it in a virtual win98 would solve some of the issues. And it is in flight that I'm suffering from very inconsistent speed while trying to fly.

Oh well, I'll search ebay/amazon for a CD version of WC2 instead. It can't be too hard to find.

Back