Wing Commander IV ship editor problems

Virgil0211

Spaceman
Hey, all. I'm new to the site, so stop me if this is a total n00b question.

I'm trying to get the WCIV ship editor to work, but anytime I use it, the game crashes. I'll get the game to work fine on its own (I'm using the DVD version on a Windows 7 comp), but then after I use the ship editor, it won't even load the first mission. It says that the game data wasn't found anywhere on the hard drive or in the DVD drives, that the disc is missing or may be dirty or something. What's going on here? Does it have to do with the way the editor messes with the gameflow.tre file?

Okay. Now the game just crashes whenever it goes to actual gameplay. I've reinstalled it and backed-up the gameflow.tre file to see if that was where the problem was. Tried using the editor, launching the game, etc. Crashed when I got to the actual game. Replaced the gameflow.tre file with the backup, and then it worked fine.

Does the editor just screw up the gameflow.tre file so that it won't work? Was it designed to work with the non-DVD version of Wing Commander IV?

Alright, another update.

I tried simply changing which ship was being flown (the dragon as opposed to the hellcat), and it worked fine. I was flying the dragon instead of the hellcat, and there weren't any other problems. I even downloaded some of UCL's upgraded ship files and experimented with those. No problems. The only time I encountered problems was when I tried to 'make' a new ship and then fly it. Somehow, the ship editor isn't able to make a working .iff file.

How do you extract and edit/modify .iff files?

Back