Wing Commander IV DVD

mpanty

Keen Commander
Sorry to bring this up once more, but I'd like to get it straight once and for all...

If I understood correctly from previous discussions, the DVD will work on any DVD player, but you will only be able to play the movies, correct?
Also, to play the game from the DVD, you'll need a special DVD drive, whose name I forgot (in addition, I'll be grateful if someone could tell me the DVD players that do allow you to play the game).

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Just wondering by the way... can anyone tell me why Origin/Electronic Arts never decided to sell the DVD directly, but only coupled with the Creative DXr2 decoder card?

I apologize if this has been answered before...

Ok, but I meant selling it as a "compatible-for-all-drivers" DVD, just like DVD's you find for sale today...

Because at the time there wasn't really a good standardized DVD API. So they used a popular one that isn't compatible with most players now that they're pretty much done through DirectX.

TC

IIRC, the WC4 DVD was created for Creative to help them show off their DVD system which they wanted to become standard of course.

Originally posted by mpanty
Sorry to bring this up once more, but I'd like to get it straight once and for all...

If I understood correctly from previous discussions, the DVD will work on any DVD player, but you will only be able to play the movies, correct?
Also, to play the game from the DVD, you'll need a special DVD drive, whose name I forgot (in addition, I'll be grateful if someone could tell me the DVD players that do allow you to play the game).

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Any drive should be fine -- you want a special decoder card... either the Creative DXR2 or the Hollywood+ (?)

If you consider that you can play the vob files by themselves with pretty much any player out of the game, wouldn't it be relatively simple for, say, origin or ea, or someone with programing skills to write a patch to allow support for other drivers in game??? After all, WC4 DVD is already the win95 version.

WCIV's DVD conversion was done by Daylight, though, and I don't think they're in the WC DVD business anymore...

so is there actually any official "support" for people - like myself - who own the DVD??

Do you think anyone would complain about someone either, puting out an unofficial patch (not that I have the talent)? Would there be someone you could pay (a large sum) for the option of publishing an updated version?

The only thing that Origin ever did that gets actual support these days is Ultima Online -- and there are people who will vehemently disagree on even the latter.

That said, Mark Day did a wonderful job of answering everybodys questions and solving their issues personally at alt.games.wing-commander and other places while he was still with Daylight. He may still be someone to ask for help...

And I'm sure no one would be bothered by an unofficial patch.

Back