Wing Commander IV DVD Problem

maniac1911

Spaceman
I just got my hands on Wing Commander IV DVD. Filled with great joy I pop into my dvd drive and run the application. As soon as it started it indicated a message: "missing file d:\SC_0010A.VOB"

I checked my DVD Drive D:\. Sure enough the file is there. I double clicked the file sure enough it played in ATI File Player. I am not sure what is causing the problem. The in game play works fine, just none of the Video Playback works at all.

Any help to get Wing Commander DVD IV working on XP. Would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:

Intel PIII 600Mhz
400MB RAM
120GB HD
Windows XP
ATI AiW Pro 8500 Radeon 128MB

Snarl....

I just read all the other post on this same subject <sigh>. Tried different drivers, different configs. Nothing seems to work on Windows XP.

I am not willing to buy another video card or drive to read this game.

I paid good money for this stupid game and I miss all the cinematics that made the game great in the first place. Watching it on WinDVD is no alternative.

I am very upset and angry. I am not buying another Wing Commander game as long as live.

Screw you Origin...

Perhaps that's why the game came with Creative Labs cards only?

(Anyhow, it relies on obsolete interfaces that Windows 2000 and Windows XP officially deprecated. You may be able to get it to run on XP with the right combination of ancient drivers, settings and luck...)

I have the same problem. You can view the movies in WinDVD though, by opening the files through the DVD player. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make them work while playing the game. If I do I'll post it here.

In the meantime, I know there's some way to put multiple OS's on the same computer, like if I wanted to install Windows XP AND Windows 98/ME, but I don't know how to do it. The game worked fine when I had 98 and ME, so does anybody know the trick to putting multiple OS's on the same computer? I have 3 separate hard drives if that matters at all.

Ganon said:
In the meantime, I know there's some way to put multiple OS's on the same computer, like if I wanted to install Windows XP AND Windows 98/ME, but I don't know how to do it. The game worked fine when I had 98 and ME, so does anybody know the trick to putting multiple OS's on the same computer?
Space constraints prohibit a full listing/how to's , but there are several ways of running multiple OS's on one system. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I'll list the cheapest ways I know of (and yes, having multiple HDDs can be quite helpful). Basically, they all come down to hiding certain partitions/HDDs from other partitions/HDDs so as to avoid conflicts.

1) XOSL (free)
2) Several other multiboot utilities that are free for the downloading, but none are as good/configurable, IMHO, as XOSL.
3) Partition Magic's "Boot Magic"
4) Partition Commander/System Commander

Satisfied?...

maniac1911 said:
I just read all the other post on this same subject <sigh>. Tried different drivers, different configs. Nothing seems to work on Windows XP.

I am not willing to buy another video card or drive to read this game.

I paid good money for this stupid game and I miss all the cinematics that made the game great in the first place. Watching it on WinDVD is no alternative.

I am very upset and angry. I am not buying another Wing Commander game as long as live.
Whoah, there, bub: The DVD WC4 was, from the beginning, meant to run off of a HW decoder card. Seems you should've exercised a bit of "caveat emptor" (="let the buyer beware") before you bought the game, eh?... All it takes is such a card (Dxr2 or 3, Hollywood Realmagic, etc.) that you can get 2nd hand for ~ $25.

Mebbe instead you should be saying "Screw you, Mr. Gates"

maniac1911 said:
I just got my hands on Wing Commander IV DVD. Filled with great joy I pop into my dvd drive and run the application. As soon as it started it indicated a message: "missing file d:\SC_0010A.VOB"

I checked my DVD Drive D:\. Sure enough the file is there. I double clicked the file sure enough it played in ATI File Player. I am not sure what is causing the problem. The in game play works fine, just none of the Video Playback works at all.

Any help to get Wing Commander DVD IV working on XP. Would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:

Intel PIII 600Mhz
400MB RAM
120GB HD
Windows XP
ATI AiW Pro 8500 Radeon 128MB

Hmm... I had the "missing file d:\SC_0010A.VOB" error message myself when I tried to install it. I no longer have the DXR card that this game came with, yet I was able to install the game and, except for an extremely annoying quirk mentioned here, http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=318526&postcount=270, it works just fine for me. I suspect you may need to install it the way I did, by following AD's post (#268).

Hope that helps. Happy trails.

i to had this error..i found some help on another forum i forget the name..i know this is an old post..but for anyone who needs help still or clarification on this subject his is what i found out..

you need to download and install ac3filter_0_70b

heres a link it works as of this date..hoepfully this helps it helped me..

http://download.divxmovies.com/ac3filter_0_70b.exe

Hey, thanks for the file. Which issue does it specifically clear up? AD's from the other thread? http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=318437&postcount=268

Looks like he's got both an alternative to gulikozas patch as well as ac3 filter in an archive file. Though I wouldn't be able to tell if its not actually gulikozas patch in an installer. I guess someone would have to test and see which is better or whether or not they have the same weaknesses (like how gulikozas doesn't like powerDVD very much)

to tell you guys the truth i really don't know..i was just cruising through here..to see if there was a mention on WC 4 crashing after the superstation missionnear the end..i allected not to use the flash pack on the station and it crashes after i beat the mission..

but to the point i really don't know..i just felt like uploading a file that might be helpful to anyone..

Since this was posted to the main page, I think I should clarify things a bit...
The pack does include my patch (version 1.2 to be exact), and while I have no objection to it being redistributed, one should be careful when getting files from an untrusted source since they may be modified (and the fact it might not be the latest version). Although this isn't the case here - The pack is a collection of my patch, NStriker's VirtualProtect() error patch and free directshow filters. All can be found on the net with some searching, but a single pack might be more convenient :)

Back