Wing Commander in general question

Razorback

Spaceman
Hey guys I've been kinda out of the Wing Commander world for a while...can you guys tell me if any new official Wing Commander game has been released or is in the works for the regular Wing Commander series following the Secret Operations add-on for Wing Commander Prophecy? Thanks for your time everyone.

Hate to break the bad news to you Razor. There will be no more Wing Commander products until Origin returns to single player games. They do not intend to do this at any time. But there are many fan projects in the works that i would recommend you check out. They are our last best hope now.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Alright. Thanks guys. That's too bad that Origin went and decided to be freakin' idiots. I'll make sure I never buy any of their games now.
smile.gif
I miss Chris Roberts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I cant wate tell origin drops that damn ultima for a wile and get to more inportant games like wc
smile.gif

------------------
SEPHIROTH (ICEMAN)

Yeah I hear ya man. Ultima's cool and all, but they really need to finish Wing Commander...WHAT THE HELL AM I SAYING!? They should never FINISH Wing Commander....they really need to come up with the next one though.

Damn theres alot of those ultimas I was looking at a old origin cattalog and theres like 9 of those things counting the new ones.

------------------
SEPHIROTH

[This message has been edited by SEPHIROTH (edited August 23, 2000).]

Yes, of course people like and play Ultima. Just because you wish you had another WC game doesn't mean that everybody hates Ultima all of a sudden.

no duh quarto I never played ultima myself.But wanted to they looked cool I got a copy of the old savage impire one from a gradge sale but the copy was bad
frown.gif

Yeah, geeze Quarto, no duh!
smile.gif

However, many of the Ultima games, IMHO did suck (though there were some good ones, the middle trilogy being the best)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Apologies, I meant no slight to Ultima players, I was just wondering why Origin seems to favour Ultima over WC at the moment. If they ever do get round to making another WC game, it better NOT be a shocker like everyone makes Ascension out to be.

I thought the Ultimas were great until 8th one. BOth the 8th and 9th blew. The 7th (both parts) were my favorites, I wish someone could remake the 4th one, it was the most original RPG ever made. The reason Origin is going with Ultima is that there is a proven market for Online RPG's. There is not a proven market of suffecent size for online space games. Origin knows they can make at least a million a month off of the Ulitima franchise. Unless someone could convince them that they could make that much off of WC, we ain't gonna see it.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

You know, I gotta admit that I rather liked Ultima 8. It was the first of the mainstream Ultimas that I saw (but THE first Ultima I ever saw was Martian Dreams). However, I didn't like it enough to actually finish it. Same goes for U4,6, and 7. Though I almost finished U6... because it used the same engine as Martian Dreams (which, as far as I'm concerned, is the best Ultima game ever...). Of the non-mainstream ones, I also saw Savage Empire, one of the Underworlds, and of course, Martian Dreams.

Just out of curiosity, how many people have played Martian Dreams? It seems to be... well, not very well known.

8 was too arcadish for my taste, the spell system was horrible. Combat became a badly designed click fest. only one i finished was both parts of U7, which totally rocked. I've heard of martian dreams (wasn't it based off of the U6 engine?), but never played it.

------------------

To speak the truth, the only Ultimas that I played were the Underworld ones and Ascension. And ascension was one big lemon to me. Horrible performance and those damn lot of show-stopper bugs.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

The 4th one was probably the most original game ever. You had to become the avatar by meeting all of the virtues. To do that you actually had to live those virtues. It made for amazingly deep gameplay, though it took forever. The 7th was probably the most deep in story alone of just about any rpg. Unfort the last 2 catered to the arcade crowd and lost everything that was special about Ultima. Asscention was forced out unfinished and Origin released a final patch with dozens of bugs unfixed and will not fix any more of the game. The Origin we grew to love is truely dead.

------------------

Dead is right. I read someone's opinion on Prophecy (who loved the other WC's mind you) that without Chris Roberts, Prophecy is just 'another' space sim.

I think the only thing that made Prophecy feel somewhat like the others was Mark Hamill. Atleast that's all that made me feel that way.

In somes ways Prophecy went back to the roots of WC1. You were in a lower rank (and the promotion rate was not insanely fast) and your conversations had no branches, so the story only varied based on your ability in the cockpit not what you said outside of it. It clearly was a WC game, it just went retro in its story options. Also more foul language
smile.gif

Some critics argued it was "saving" the series since it removed all the "complicated" story choices. I think it was a setp backward but it is part of a general trend in dumbing down games, but that's just my opinion. I was/am hoping any future games with Casey will give him a little more personal freedom outside of the cockpit.

Back