Wing Commander III Joystick Problem

nitromon

Rear Admiral
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out here.

My WC3 won't detect my Advanced Gravis Analog Joystick at all. It use to work when I play WC3 on my PC486 - Win95, but now I'm running it on Win98 with an AMD 1.2 Gig.

It won't detect the buttons so I can't even calibrate. The joystick works for all my other applications. I don't know why it wouldn't work for this one. The joystick port is a standard game port from my Soundblaster 16. I have a legacy audio build in on my motherboard, but I disabled it in the BIOS setup.

I downloaded and tried the Alternate Joystick Patch from Origin but it did nothing.

Please help!!!

THANKS!

Jeff

Check in the Control Panel if your joystick is installed.

OR

Try the game in real DOS mode. Your joystick should work better there.

hmm

that seems to be the same reply Origin support gave me, they suggest that i create a boot disk. the only thing i've tried was "shutting down to dos" and then running it. i have a feeling this won't matter, but i'll give it a shot.

thanks!

it might work. Or you can just start your computer, hit F8 and select "Dos prompt". Tell me if you get the game running.

=(

hi,

nope, it didn't work... =(
it's funny, the game runs worse in dos. the sound was staticky, joystick still don't work. is there such thing as a joystick driver for dos? maybe i need to run something like it.

on another note, i also tried my Wing Commander IV (also for dos), and it gives me the same problem as wing commander 3, can't detect the joystick but everything else is fine. however, Origin tech support site has a Win95 patch for WC4 dos, i installed the patch and now the joystick is fine... BUT, the game doesn't seem to like direct sound on my computer so the audio during the movie is all screwed up. some bad jittering and echoing.

this prompt me to try my WC prophecy since i know that was made for Win. the joystick works, but the movie is messed up. it seems to skip quite often, not like what happened in wc4. seems like the video can't catch up to the audio.

dope...dope... =(

O Johnl12, where art thou?

You have got TONS of problems. :eek: Don´t worry, we will work´em out.

For the Prophecy movie, try disabling graphics acceleration while playing the game. Go to Control Panel, System, Performance, Graphics, move the lever all the way right. (be sure to put it back to "full" after you´re done playing).

About the joystick issue in DOS, you need to check if your sound card joystick port is activated. Please post you config.sys, autoexec.bat and tell me which sound card do you have.

hmm

adjust the graphic accelerator eh? hmm... sure, why not? =) I already tried the sound hardware accelerator and the CD buffer size. 3 times the charm.

as for the soundcard, i have a soundblaster 16 awe and it has the standard soundblaster set up (i'm not at my home computer, so i can't cut and paste, but i've been reviewing my config and autoexec lately)

it has some generic sound blaster lines

set blaster = 220 h1 l2 etc...

(i did notice i have no .drv nor .exe from the soundcard device initiated there, but i thought it would be taken care off by Window's CTCM.EXE)

Hmm, I'll check later when I'm home, i think this might be it.

thanks!

blah

i'm running out of ideas.

welp this is what's in my config:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys

devicehigh=c:\progra~1\creative\ctsnd\drv\ctsb16.sys /unit=0 /win95 /blaster=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5

devicehigh=C:\progra~1\creative\ctsnd\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

dos=high,umb
FILES=100

and autoexec:

SET CTCM=C:\WINDOWS
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

this pretty much sets up the sound blaster for DOS, but i'm not sure that it sets it for the joystick port. eitherway, the joystick still doesn't work.

=T

Maybe its because your joystick is digital and not analog - with old-school dos being unable to even begin to detect the newer modles. Ive come to the conclusion that that's the problem on my end...... though I do lack an analog joystick to test out my theory :eek:

Re: hmm

Originally posted by nitromon
adjust the graphic accelerator eh? hmm... sure, why not? =) I already tried the sound hardware accelerator and the CD buffer size. 3 times the charm.

You've already tried lowering or disabling sound acceleration? Was this in DirectX? If not, try lowering your sound acceleration via DirectX's setup program in C:\Program Files\DirectX\.

Nitromon, try adding J200 between E620 and T6 in your autoexec.bat.
Are you going to try playing the game in DOS or in Windows? I need to know so we can focus on one problem here.

Maniac move

Nitromon, try this test, in MS-DOS, to check if your computer recognizes the joystick.

Type debug from the DOS prompt once at the "-".

Type i201

If you get a FF response attempt hold one of the main buttons on your joystick, and while holding the button down type i201 and see if a different response is given, each button on the joystick should return a different response. However some special joysticks such as the Microsoft Sidewinder which has more then 4-5 buttons may not return a response for all extra buttons because these buttons are generally controlled through software.

If a FF is still given on each of the buttons on the game paddle or joystick it is a good possibility that either the Joystick and or the Joystick port is bad. If possible attempt these steps with another known working joystick.

However if you are receiving different responses when pressing and holding the keys on the joystick, the computer hardware is working properly.

Type q and press enter to quit out of debug.

Back