Wing Commander III - GFSAMPLE.IFF

L

LightNinja

Hi,
i tried to play Wing Commander 3. It's the DOS version and I have Windows XP, so I used the dos emulator dosBox 61 (newer versions won't run properly).

The configuration and copy of some files worked well, but when I want to launch the game it displays the error message, that a file named GFSAMPLE.IFF is missing. I did not find this file on any of the 4 CDs.
I also tried to launch the game with each of them, because it said, a damaged CD could cause the problem. It didn't help.

I hope somebody has a solution for this issue.
Thank you, in advance.

LightNinja

PS: I could also run WC3 with VDMS (a soundcard emulator) but iit seems as if I have to set the dos FILES value to 25 or higher... but since there is no CONFIG.SYS, it will not work. And I don't know if the problem with GFSAMLE.IFF will be solved by that, yet, because it just does not he loading up stuff... I tried to use SET FILES=25 to set the value, but, as expected, it does not work.

So if anyone knows how to get this fixed, I would be glad, too.

But propably the GFSAMPLE.IFF error will occur anyway.

I wish I could get WC3 to work perfectly on my win 98 computer. Maybe I'll reinstall dosbox and play it on my athlon64.

I managed to run WC3 Setup with VDMS, but when the game should be launched, I keep getting this message:

---------
Open failed on file: ..\..\DATA\SOUND\GFSAMPLE.IFF

This error is probably the result of a bad CD-ROM read.
Please try running the game again from your latest save
game and the problem should go away. If the problem
persists, you may have a bad CD. If you continue to have trouble,
please call Origin Customer Service for more information

----

I can't load my savegame, because I don't have one... I never played the game, the message appears from the first attempt to start the game on.

I selected the option to copy 46 MB from CD to harddisk to get the game run faster.

I found out, that it's not a problem with the CD, because none of the 4 CDs work properly, but I could mirror all of them to hard disk using nero without an error message. I use the original CDs when trying to play WC3, not the images on HDD.

I'm having the same problem! :(

it aren't the cd's for sure, because it does work for me in win95 mode.
When using dosbox I also get this error msg.

let me know when you found a fix for it

//shrap
jkallai@hotmail.com

for dosbox: You have to disable ems (set it to FALSE in config file), that should fix it. But forgot how I did fix it with VDMS :\

Anyway, WC3 still runs a bit too slow in combat, but is definitely playable, imo. - But that's with a 3.2Ghz CPU. No idea how it runs on much slower PCs like 2Ghz.

To the config.sys thingy:
Look for the config.nt file. That one is used for the windows dos. - You can find it under: C:\WINDOWS\system32

EDIT: Sorry for the late reply, but wasn't online that much in the last few months :(

I solved the problem by turning on the mscdex sort of thingie in dosbox.
however the joystick didn't work properly under dosbox :(

I installed vdmssound now, joystick works fine, but i got this annoying mouse problem.
The cursor keeps moving to the top left.
I should use mouse2kv to solve it...... only problem is how to use it :(
I have no idea how to use vdmsound manually :(

Back