Wing Commander II theme... remixerized!

Thanks Spien!
Madman said:
not keen on the instrumentation, but any remixes are always appreciated :)
Is it just the lack of the harp at the beginning? Which instrument am I using that you don't like?

Stones will never die.

Wow I liked this, it sounded really good, I liked how the WCII theme didn't have the heroic theme like the original did, but still had the kickback to it.

petey its mainly the start that i object to, partly the harp and also the bass line seems too synthy to me, but i like the way youve brough up some of the quieter melodies later on (the flute line especially) - its pretty good for the most part :)

I agree with you about the harp part! I found that I didn't actually have any harp samples at all... so I am using violin pizzicato as a placeholder. : )

I'll probably just record some decent midi sounds, and then massage them sonically until they fit. I'll probably play with the intro string sounds some more too.

Very nice work! May I ask what kind of gear you used to make it?
Also, I really liked the tempo decrease. Gives the theme a lot of character.

It sounds pretty good and quite interesting... nice ritardando at about 20 seconds in but I'm not sure about the scoring right there and for the next couple of seconds. That's a personal judgement, though, and overall, it's very nice.

EDIT: Listening to the source, I think that scoring perception on my part's probably from the difference in instrumentation. The violin substitution doesn't sound that bad, either.

Again, very nicely done and my one problem is one of personal preference.

I'm using Propellerhead's Reason 2.5 software. I started using it at school and have gotten hooked. It comes with a crappy-yet-not-horrible sample library which is pretty diverse. Reason is a virtual 'rack', that lets you load instruments, run them through a dirty little sequencer, and then do various audio effects on the output.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think I'll do a couple more Wing Commander II tunes. Any specific requests? I'd like to end up with a good sample of the coolest WC2 music.

jazz's theme, the bar music and the piano work are personal faves, if done well they can be incredible (i heard a superb piano mix of townlife from chronotrigger that made me want a decent piano mix of the wc music so much :) - i think ace did a nice one on piano of jazz playing jazz (literally)

Well, I did a version of the Kilrathi theme. Let me know what you all think.

I've been looking at some of the other WC2 music. There's really nothing I can do to improve on the higher quality recordings of Jazz on the piano. There's a few more big WC2 pieces that I can do... but I have also been playing around with some of the shorter pieces, and maybe stitching them together into a larger piece of some kind.

Back