Wing Commander II 2D

Clythoss

Spaceman
Hello Everyone.

I Plan to make an 2D Version of Wing Commander 2. The Goal is to recreate the Feeling and Atmosphere of the Game. With the Sounds Musics Graphics and Ships of the original Game. I don´t want to start a Gigantic Project where i notice after a few weeks i will never be able to finish it. I got Experience at 2d Games, so the coding is not the Problem. But to get the content of a game is totally new for me. How do i get the graphics, sound effects music and speech of this game in a format i can use it? I´m pretty sure all this has been done before and someone here knows the answers, and the right software i need. As an alternative a collection of Links where i could get some or all of the content would be great. If you know even a little bit which could help me, please share.

Thx

I can't really help, but I'm curious. What do you mean by 2D? Like Subspace? What kind of gameplay are you envisioning?

What do you mean by 2D? A top down or side scrolling shooter? It might be fun. You could try and manually record sounds for your project in windows and dosbox, but someone may have a way (or has done it already) to extract the audio files.

Pretty much all the information on extracting and converting files from the older WC games is at HCl's website.

I'm not sure about sounds and such (HCl's site is your best bet for these), but all the graphics can be extracted directly with WCNAV. There's a link to it in this post.

I don´t want to start a Gigantic Project where i notice after a few weeks i will never be able to finish it.
That's a very good idea. :)

Ok let me tell more.

First of all i don´t know subspace so i can´t realy tell. But does anyone know Starcontrol? It will kinda look like it, but then again different since it´s a Wing Commander game. You look from an above view (Who could have guessed). You can turn your Ship Left and Right, with Forward you fly your ship to Full Speed, when you release it your ship will stop, unlike Star Control for example. This is because in Wing Commander you could also stop in Space.You can Turbo Boost of course. You will Fly around Auto Pilot to your Nav Points, defeat the Enemy´s and return. You fight very much the same as in the original game. You Lock your enemy´s. Can Fire Rockets. You have a Info Box on the Right Side, showing your Fuel, Energy, Shields and Armor Status.You can Zoom out very far to be able to Lock Capital Ships with your Torpedo without beeing Hit by The Flaks. But One Thing will be Different. While in Wing Commander it´s mostly you and a Wingman, vs Enemy ships and maybe 1-2 Capital Ships, my game will have greater Battle´s. Imagine the Concordia and 2 Destroyers Vs 5 Fraltra and 2 Wings of Grikath. Und you in it to overcome the odds. Oh Allied Ships can´t hit each other, and iam not sure if collision will be possible.

Outside of the Fighting Action the game will be very much the same as the original. You will see the Storyline to advance and then be able to fly the next mission.

I will do my very best to recreate the atmosphere of the original game. The Music, The sounds, The Speech effects "We Shall destroy Terra" :) The Explosions ( I wonder if i can make the Capital ship explosions as cool as in the original) and so on. I Promise, the game will FEEL like Wing Commander, even if it is in 2D.

... of course only if i can get all the content i need. I still need help, see first Post.

EDIT: THX Eder for your help.

I suggest purchasing a copy of the Kilrathi Saga collection if you don't already have it.

The WC2 audio and music set there is easy to extract, as the sounds and music are in simple 16-bit PCM format. The only problem is that the unique music from SO1/SO2 are missing.

If i remember right the Wing Commander Saga Version of Wing Commander 2 didn´t have the Original Sound Effects in the Game. (Yes i´m one of these guys :) ) I need the Sound of the Original game.

btw: i´m still living and still working on it...

I found out that when running wc2 with not enough ram it won´t play music. This give´s me a chance to record the sound effects in gameplay. Not the best method though.

If anyone knows a place where to find the original sound effects of wc2, or how to get them from the files, i´ll be glad to hear.

Have you tried contacting HCl? He's the only one who has done any work with the older games, I believe.

I also remember there was an old audio editing program that could play Privateer sounds, but I don't remember if it worked for WC2 as well. It was called Game Audio Tool or something like that?

Game Audio Player. I remember using it to extract a retro taunt to use as the SMS tone on my phone.

I think the sounds effects in the original WC2 were done through synthesis in the sound card. At least that's what they sounded like to me - I don't think they were remotely anything like the PCM streams used in modern games.

I haven't used DOSbox, but wouldn't there be a feature in it to capture the sound output? It's easy to configure WC2 to not play music, so you could sample sound effects that way.

Wedge, 2 things.

1st If you read my last post, you see i already do it that way.

2nd There is no way to CONFIGURE WC2 to not play musik.

Oh and BTW: I can fly with my Ferret around in Space now. Kinda ugly space i might add.

Wedge, 2 things.

1st If you read my last post, you see i already do it that way.

2nd There is no way to CONFIGURE WC2 to not play musik.

Oh and BTW: I can fly with my Ferret around in Space now. Kinda ugly space i might add.

Not entirely true, you can tell the game you have a digital effects card and not set anything for music card while you are installing.

I thought hitting Ctrl-M turned the music off? I used that to snag some samples for Pioneer from WC1 - I can't imagine that the same functionality doesn't exist in WC2...

I thought hitting Ctrl-M turned the music off? I used that to snag some samples for Pioneer from WC1 - I can't imagine that the same functionality doesn't exist in WC2...

Actually you're right too. Ctrl-M should work.

Back