Wing Commander Figures

Did they make or plan the fighters for this line, or am I just insane? (would have ruled, they should have made them Exosquad scale in order to have some cool ships that wouldn't be too big).

Fighters were planned, but never released. A pair of prototypes (a Rapier and a Dralthi) exist.

Speaking of the Exo Squad line, though, Playmates had done early planning for a similar line of WC toys -- which would have been developed if the Wing Commander Academy show had had a second season.

If you're familiar with the Exo-Squad line, you can kind of tell how WCA was designed to be similarly toyetic -- with two main 'small' fighters (Scimitar and Dralthi) and two large ones (Broadsword and Grikath).

It would have been pretty darned cool.

Wow, that cover is really awesome,
Loaf, have you got that version of the game? or just a scan of the cover?
it's really beautiful.

I do have this version of the game (and I did give Chris his copy... and Joe Garrity his, and Hades his, I believe). The most notable change (in so far as I can see) is that the game has in-flight speech -- which is kind of a shame, given the fact that Origin went back and dubbed the entirity of Ultima VI for the FM Towns release.

I also have the Towns versions of Armada, Wing Commander II and The Secret Missions. WC2 has equally impressive original art, which you can find in the CIC news archive (I'll do a nice scan of it when I get home).

Collecting weird Japanese ports was a fun adventure... but it's a project to be continued only by someone who has a lot more money than I do now.

Also: WC1 FM Towns comes with a neat plastic-y fold-out star map of the Vega Sector. Wing Commander has always had the short end of the stick when it comes to Origin's wavering policy on cool trinkets... but at least the Japanese were trying at one point.

Back