Wing Commander: Covert Missions (was: SM 1.5 (Working Title))

Right. I'd love to know what the ending sequence of the original SWC is (I'm pretty sure it's not a re-play of the Vega Campaign's ending sequence)

I definitely agree. Thanks for your offer, I'd highly appreciate if you took care of that.
If we have to use the losing ending sequence maybe a new one could be maid with a different planet to give it a different feel?
That should be easy. It should be just a matter of changing the planet and calling it a new name. Just another thought.

Here are the images for Knight reversed. I'm thinking that it would be best if it were added to Talking1.vga so that it doesn't affect the original Knight. Any thoughts on this? Can it be referenced that way?

Attachments

• SM1.5 Knight Reverse.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 129
I believe the .VGA file contains several distinct image sets, each containing several images. I think @Shades2585's solution will work if you add Halcyon's quarters to the briefing room image set, though you're still going to have to change some indices around.
I can post the images if can be done.

I've added the new words from Brimstone.
I don't know if you wanted me to post this here or in the WCworkshop thread.

Attachments

• WCPhonetics .txt
    18.4 KB · Views: 210
Looking through the script for SM1.5 I noticed Sam call it a "covert mission" and the Colonel call it "covert operation". Each only once.
If you're looking for a working title either of these could work. Personally I would choose Covert Mission. it fits better with the Secret Missions titles.

Does the project really need a working title? A lot of people already know it as Secret Missions 1.5, which is a name that makes it pretty obvious that it's missions that take place between The Secret Missions and Secret Missions 2.

Since we also have Special Operations and the Secret Ops, there's already kind of a lot of similar names out there. To me, "Covert Ops" sounds like some type of fan project... (actually it reminds me of the Commander & Conquer Covert Operations expansion) whereas you guys are actually porting the expansion that people know as SM1.5.

Does the project really need a working title? A lot of people already know it as Secret Missions 1.5, which is a name that makes it pretty obvious that it's missions that take place between The Secret Missions and Secret Missions 2.
I can't say I've given this much thought before, and initially it seemed appropriate that the project has a name better than "SM1.5". But on second thought, I think you're right. To call the project Covert Ops seems to imply something qualitatively new - when, of course, the whole charm of SM1.5 is that it's this weird mix of SM1 and SM2 that wasn't originally available to PC players precisely because it combined concepts from existing expansions.

But, call it whatever you want, guys, just keep going with it - it's an awesome project! :)

You're making a good point here in that the name SM 1.5 is already pretty much canon among the community.
So, calling the "stock" SWC campaign SM 1.5 probably makes sense.

But, SM 1.5 (as we call it) really does not happen between SM1 and SM2. It's in fact a parallel storyline to SM2 with major things like Bossman dying in both of them.
Given the fact that the Firrekan's are removed and Tolwyn is introduced (among other things), it really seems to be more of a re-booted SM2 that tries to get in line with the WC2 storyline (not my words, has been discussed elsewhere here on the forums a while back).

"Covert Missions" would probably the fitting title of a "unified" SM2 campaign, that merges the two of them (and removes any duplicate story elements), which was already briefly discussed on this thread previously.

Long story short: It's fine for me to go with whatever the community sees fit. Maybe we might try that poll feature some day...

"Covert Missions" would probably the fitting title of a "unified" SM2 campaign, that merges the two of them (and removes any duplicate story elements), which was already briefly discussed on this thread previously.
Hmm. Wasn't "Covert Missions" proposed specifically to set this apart from SM1/2? A "unified" SM2 campaign should really be called Secret Missions 2 v. 1.1 or something :). However, the catch is that SM1.5 doesn't only take elements from SM2, but from SM1 as well. And that in turn means that a truly unified SM1/2/1.5 campaign should probably be called... just plain Secret Missions.

However, the catch is that SM1.5 doesn't only take elements from SM2, but from SM1 as well
Really? It also takes elements from SM1? I wasn't aware of that. I always thought, SWC contains the same Vega and SM1 content as the PC version and SM 1.5 instead of SM2.

The element from SM1 it takes is that we are destroying the shipyard that created the Sivar. Otherwise it rips a lot of direct story text from SM2. I'm slowly piecing together how it fits and overlaps with SM2. Among other things.

Looking forward to the results
I have all but one conversation of 1.5 flow-charted, for my books, and done some rough placement of missions based on where their stories intersect. There are a few issues with tying them together that I will have to figure out.
I've put it on hold to go back to the phonetics dictionary.

I still prefer Covert Missions to SM1.5

Last edited:
Reactions: cff
My understadning it that SWC has WC1, SM1 and SM1.5. No SM2.
@Shades2585 is correct, and so was your initial understanding @delMar, SWC is comprised of WC1, SM1, and a modified SM2 (what has become SM1.5).
  • WC1 has minor differences, nothing substantial: a few dialog references to the Kilrathi working on a secret weapon, and the removing of system, time and date references in dialog.
  • SM1 appears identical.
  • And of course, SM1.5 is a heavily modified SM2.
Separately, as for the name, @ChrisReid made a very good point. The name SM1.5 makes it immediately obvious what these missions are.

@Shades2585 is correct, and so was your initial understanding @delMar, SWC is comprised of WC1, SM1, and a modified SM2 (what has become SM1.5).
  • WC1 has minor differences, nothing substantial: a few dialog references to the Kilrathi working on a secret weapon, and the removing of system, time and date references in dialog.
  • SM1 appears identical.
  • And of course, SM1.5 is a heavily modified SM2.
Separately, as for the name, @ChrisReid made a very good point. The name SM1.5 makes it immediately obvious what these missions are.
Is there somewhere or someone who has gathered all the dialog differences? Additional story on the secret weapon would be very interesting to read. :D

Really? It also takes elements from SM1? I wasn't aware of that. I always thought, SWC contains the same Vega and SM1 content as the PC version and SM 1.5 instead of SM2.
Well, clearly I was confused :). I just read through the SM1.5 script, and yeah, as everybody else said - the SM1 connection is simply that it continues the SM1 story, rather than integrating it. The reason I got confused about it is that somehow, in my mind I had melded together SM1.5 from SWC with the Secret Missions add-on for the SNES. So, I was thinking "but there was that Sivar cutscene in SM1.5", which of course is not the case.

Back