Wing Commander Comeback

Wow, great article. I agree with all the games on that list. So many forgotten franchises or games that SHOULD have been franchises. I always really badly wanted a SHOGO 2, I like the original but there was so many ways in which it could've been expanded to make it much better and it was never given that opportunity.

This also reminds me that I need to play the Freedom Force sequel.

cool article.

lots of games I remember and would love continued. And a couple i hadn't heard of. Now I'm off to do research and buy some old games. ~~~.

Wanting a new Wing Commander game is great, but it's kind of silly to go and throw out all kinds of non-space sim Wing Commander alternatives that they think would be cool, and then make a crack about Arena on the next line. It works against the message that they're trying to get across in the first place. When EA does go and tries something new, people give them a hard time.

Oh good, a video game blog to preach the truth to the faithful horde.

Between reading that tripe and having my fingers broken with a ball-peen hammer, I'll take my chances with the hammer. It may miss and won't affect my brain like reading something stupid would.

Oh good, a video game blog to preach the truth to the faithful horde.

Between reading that tripe and having my fingers broken with a ball-peen hammer, I'll take my chances with the hammer. It may miss and won't affect my brain like reading something stupid would.

And thats why I like this guy! Brutally to the point.

Seconded btw.

True these lists are a dime a dozen, but it's still nice seeing Wing Commander being mentioned by the masses. The games listed beside it, well most anyway are top-notch and despite the inane descriptions were fun to contemplate modern-day sequels for. I would of mentioned the Tex Murphy and The Longest Journey series myself (simply awesome story-heavy adventure games).

Any predictions for how many other unashamedly similar lists that Wing Commander is going to appear in this year?
I reckon two more times at least.... The Top 10 games that are part of the Top 10 franchises that have been mentioned in previous Top 10 lists from the last year.....or some shit. :)

True these lists are a dime a dozen, but it's still nice seeing Wing Commander being mentioned by the masses. The games listed beside it, well most anyway are top-notch and despite the inane descriptions were fun to contemplate modern-day sequels for. I would of mentioned the Tex Murphy and The Longest Journey series myself (simply awesome story-heavy adventure games).

Any predictions for how many other unashamedly similar lists that Wing Commander is going to appear in this year?
I reckon two more times at least.... The Top 10 games that are part of the Top 10 franchises that have been mentioned in previous Top 10 lists from the last year.....or some shit. :)

You don't think it'll appear in an Honored Dead list in another 5 or 10 years?

It's better than being completely forgotten. Sure anybody can make a generic blog and wax nostalgic about Wing Commander but isn't it a good sign that people bother to do so?

It's better than being completely forgotten. Sure anybody can make a generic blog and wax nostalgic about Wing Commander but isn't it a good sign that people bother to do so?

People still bother to bring up the original ET game on Atari. That doesn't make it a good thing.

I gave up hope for anything new in the WC universe some time ago .That excludes fan created material .EA owns the rights to WC and that company could ruin a sledge hammer with a steel handle .The only EA games I've owned that were not something a horse left on a trail were WC games and they cancelled them .

People still bother to bring up the original ET game on Atari. That doesn't make it a good thing.

One is a fond remembrance, the other is people mocking it for a LACK of quality. The comparison isn't entirely relevant.

I gave up hope for anything new in the WC universe some time ago .That excludes fan created material .EA owns the rights to WC and that company could ruin a sledge hammer with a steel handle .The only EA games I've owned that were not something a horse left on a trail were WC games and they cancelled them .

There's Arena and S*S- what's wrong with them?

You don't think it'll appear in an Honored Dead list in another 5 or 10 years?

I'd like to think we'll have a brand new Wing Commander game by then! Though I can't see EA investing a great deal of money into it right now. Perhaps after the current financial crisis maybe...

As LOAF has said many times Privateer wasn't a success it's considered to be a cult classic. Sure I may still play it every year but that doesn't change that fact. The main series was solid but not a best seller since wing commander 3/4 and 4 didn't recoup production costs. The odds of a full FMV revival are low at this point. How old is the actor who played Casey now anyway?

How old is the actor who played Casey now anyway?

They wouldn't have him come back at all. There were some 'issues' IIRC, that also led to his not being used for voicing in Secret Ops, as well, that I think are related to their feelings about that.

As LOAF has said many times Privateer wasn't a success it's considered to be a cult classic. Sure I may still play it every year but that doesn't change that fact. The main series was solid but not a best seller since wing commander 3/4 and 4 didn't recoup production costs. The odds of a full FMV revival are low at this point. How old is the actor who played Casey now anyway?
Uh, what are you talking about? WC3 was hugely profitable, and even WC4 was profitable in the long run - it just wasn't an immediate success.

(as for the odds of an FMV revival... well, I'll wait and see. But in the meantime, I suspect C&C fans also thought FMV would never happen again...)

Wow, look. Already. Ten games that deserve to be remade.
These are evidently churned out faster than I thought. It's a much better read though....

...and it's not like I go out of my way to find these lists. Sourced it via N4G which I visit every now and then.

I'd like to think that FMV will be part of the next WC game. It's synonymous with the series, just as it is with C&C. It's a matter of if EA is willing to splash the cash or not. I think they will, one day...

There's Arena and S*S- what's wrong with them?

Everybody forgets that most of the Wing Commander series, including their favorite games and awesome new things like Star Soldier, were only made possible by EA taking a chance on Wing Commander. There haven't been many WC games lately, but EA does still continue to produce and publish other great games - Warhammer Online, Rock Band 2, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead and Red Alert 3 are all super games that have just come out in the last few months.

I'd like to think that FMV will be part of the next WC game. It's synonymous with the series, just as it is with C&C. It's a matter of if EA is willing to splash the cash or not. I think they will, one day...

I do too, but there's lots of Wing Commander that doesn't revolve around FMV games. There's plenty of great WC stuff that they could do that isn't focused on video cutscenes.

Back