Wing Commander CCG Inquiry

TheRedDuke

Spaceman
Sadly, I was too busy with M:TG, Star Wars and Star Trek CCG when these were origianlly available, and even since then, I never had the privledge of owning any cards or playing the game. Anyways, I'm very curious about its gameplay. I've read the rules (thanks to that news bite from late July), looked at some of the card reviews, but my burning question is: is the game any fun? What are the stronger and weaker points of the gameplay? I've been contemplating creating a board game of my own based on WC, and I've been really trying to put together something cohesive and get in gear in the last couple of months. It's my hope that maybe I can pick up a good game element or two and incorporate it into my creation. Any thoughts?

What makes me wonder is as to why we don't have a cardtable league on that plays the WCCCG?!

An online game would be cool.
I missed out on the CCG too, didn't have the money to buy the sets, so I don't know the rules either.
But I have often wondered if anybody has tried to implement the game on the PC, in a a one player or online game.

Decipher has a pretty elaborate Star Trek CCG Online gaming system, although I've never played. You pay for virtual packs or single cards to build your deck with. They also have mediums to discuss and trade cards, organize leagues and tournaments, etc. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth for an online WC CCG sponsored by the CIC.

That makes sense. One of my questions was how do you decide or prove that people have certain cards. Thanks for answering that.

I have the entire Enterprise-D bridge crew and the ship it's self sitting in my room as we speak. (In CCG format, that is)

You cannot prove that the other owns any cards physically. Which really isn't the point unless you want to talk about the legal aspects. Generally everyone has every card available to build his deck in such online plays.
As for programming - it would be far more time efficient to adapt a given software then to program a new one. I'd consider trying to do so if there is enough interest and if someone would sponsor the card images.

there was a WC card game? Im guessing they arent still for sale though, since I havent seen any in any card shops

cff said:
Generally everyone has every card available to build his deck in such online plays.

Don't people's decks end up having a majority of the same cards then? If everyone has access to the same card, I can imagine almost all of the federation decks have: Picard, Riker, Data, La Forge, Worf, Troi, Crusher, and the Enterprise in them.

There are several thousand cards ck, and hundreds of Federation personnel. I perfer to play Federation decks with the DS9 chracters and newer, as the newer cards introduced a lot of new game features.

WC CCG cards come and go occasionally on Ebay; I've been tempted to buy some a few times, but never followed through. hence the original question I asked. I've also never seen any in card shops, although I'm sure if you dig deep, you might find a box or packs in someone's bargain bin.

TheRedDuke said:
Decipher has a pretty elaborate Star Trek CCG Online gaming system, although I've never played. You pay for virtual packs or single cards to build your deck with. They also have mediums to discuss and trade cards, organize leagues and tournaments, etc. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth for an online WC CCG sponsored by the CIC.
Well, we certainly can't sell what we don't own. (re: virtual packs)

An online deck builder wouldn't be that hard to do, if it's just something to keep track of which cards you own and how many duplicates you have. I use a small VBA application (Access 97) to manage my inventory.

If you're looking to trade, you can post something on the Forums here. And I hear they have WC CCG tournaments at DragonCon.

cff said:
As for programming - it would be far more time efficient to adapt a given software then to program a new one. I'd consider trying to do so if there is enough interest and if someone would sponsor the card images.
What do you mean sponsor? Jetlag has scanned most of the cards. They're online here. (page takes 3 days to load)

Someday we'll probably try to do high res scans, but those won't come for a long while.

TheRedDuke said:
There are several thousand cards ck, and hundreds of Federation personnel. I perfer to play Federation decks with the DS9 chracters and newer, as the newer cards introduced a lot of new game features.

Ok, but in terms of Characters, the main characters or more well known characters tend to have the better attributes than the lesser known characters. So if you play as the federation, and you play someone else who is the federation, don't the two of you have a lot of the same cards at least in terms of characters and ships since everyone can pick out of the whole line of federation cards?

ck9791 said:
Ok, but in terms of Characters, the main characters or more well known characters tend to have the better attributes than the lesser known characters. So if you play as the federation, and you play someone else who is the federation, don't the two of you have a lot of the same cards at least in terms of characters and ships since everyone can pick out of the whole line of federation cards?

It depends on your play style and what strategy you designed the deck to use. Saying that every person who builds a Federation deck would use the same cards is like saying that everyone who uses Apprentice to build a White Magic deck would use the same deck.

ck9791 said:

It's been almost ten years since I've played the star trek ccg, but in Wing Commander each card has a particular cost. You can't just deploy a bunch of Elite Excalibur Squadrons, because you'll die for lack of supply points right then and there. You need to take advantage of cheap Arrows and Hellcats and balance your force.

And your sig is a bit long Banshee. At least stick that last bit onto one line.

Back