Wing Commander: Armada

I think there's quite a few threads addressing this. What are you trying to run Armada in?

First off, the big question is how are you trying to run it. DOS window, reboot to DOS, or a 3rd-party DOS emulator (DOSbox, etc)?

You can't use a regular DOS window, as Windows uses its native memory scheme, which is incompatable with Armada's requirements. If using an emulator or rebooting to DOS, pasting in copies of the contents of the configuration files (either emulator's or DOS's config.sys and autoexec.bat, depending on how you're trying to run it) would probably get things started.

The link I posted did include instructions to change the EMS line, but that could very well be the problem.

:eek: My fault. Didn't read it, sorry :(
I'd guess Lone Wolf didn't read it as well, cause running loadfix and setting ems=False fixes the mentiioned bug in most cases.

@Lone Wolf:
Anyway, considering you are on Win 98, rebooting to DOS with a proper config.sys and autoexec.bat should be the best solution for you, cause under Dosbox the Joystick support for Armada really s**ks :(
Forgot how such a bootdisk should look like, sorry. But hopefully others know how to do it / know a link with instructions...

Well, I copied in JEMM.ovl from privateer. And now it says "program halted by code." And there's a whole bunch of other stuff too. (sigh)

JEMM Overlay

Try installing the game...

1.) Mount the directory with the main.001, main.002 etc. as a floppy on a: or b:
2.) run install.exe within DOSBOX, install the game.
3.) run the game from the new directory created by the install

actually shouldn't he find out if his sound card has soundblaster compatibility?
he mentioned he was running windows '98

privateer runs excellent on a pentium 2/3 system, and if he has support for
his soundcard, creating a descent bootdisk would solve his problem.

if he has an athlon or pentium 4, he should just run windows XP and dosbox.

Mace said:
actually shouldn't he find out if his sound card has soundblaster compatibility?
he mentioned he was running windows '98

Yeah, one of the nice things about DOSBox is that it'll do a good emulation of an original soundblaster, no matter what card you have I believe, as long as it's running okay in Windows.

Well i figure running windows '98 on a machine capable of running dosbox would be better of with windows XP, that's all.

I found it running at best at an AMD K6/500 and windows 98's command prompt;(wing commander 1)

Back