Wing Commander Armada Cutscenes with Soundfont Chorium

Yes, you can run Soundfonts with DOSBox but it can't record General MIDI and Roland while capturing videos.
Yes, I set the soundfont in Windows. But you need certain Soundcards in order to use them. I have a Soundblaster Audigy to use them. Youtube-User Swaaye also uses Sounfonts: http://www.youtube.com/user/swaaye

I used the Gravis Ultrasound midi bank with the GUS emulation from within DOSBox - this music gets recorded by the DOSBox video capture. However the GUS midi bank doesn't sound as good as this SoundFont, though.

Armada has such interesting music, did The Fat Man have anything to do with it? If not, how did they get away with using the melodies from the original game?

you can use soundfonts like Shan's SGM-V2.01 with a softsynth if you don't have such wonderful hardware.

I don't think dosbox has an internal Soundfont player, but can use timidity with virtual midi connection like Midi Yoke to tie it to your Windows Os.

Well just to clarify, dosbox just sends midi commands to the OS, and what ever midi device you have selected with the OS. Slight difference from it handling the midi directly.

I don't know if this helps you guys, but Armada's music was originally composed using a Roland SC-55.

I'm interested to hear how the Armada MIDIs sound on a Roland SC-55.
(Does SC stand for Sound Canvas, the device Mad Hatter used for his recordings of the WC3 MIDIs?)

If Mad Hatter did his recording recently, then I very much doubt he used a sound-canvas 55 - since I think that was an internal ISA board. The later ones were like the MT-32 and external

FekLeyrTag, did you rip the German version of Hellmarch from the game? I'd like a copy but don't think I need to supplement my 4 Redalert copies with a german version (yes i collect CnC too!)

If Mad Hatter did his recording recently, then I very much doubt he used a sound-canvas 55 - since I think that was an internal ISA board. The later ones were like the MT-32 and external

Nah, the SC-55 was external. And they glowed orange.

FekLeyrTag, did you rip the German version of Hellmarch from the game? I'd like a copy but don't think I need to supplement my 4 Redalert copies with a german version (yes i collect CnC too!)

Yes, I did. (And I'm still suprised that the other Hell Marches weren't censored at all)

What would you think if someone with a SC-55 would record all the Armada-MIDIs with it and upload it at wcnews?

What would you think if someone with a SC-55 would record all the Armada-MIDIs with it and upload it at wcnews?

I think that'd be rad. I have an SC-55, but no recording knowledge.

Back