Wing Commander Arena Tournament This Saturday (January 23, 2008)

It's too bad my smacktalk thing isn't here yet. I could have filled the airwaves with "You pathetic descendant of monkeys!" WC3 style.

I've got a problem with the whole logging into #Wingnut thing tomorrow - I can't be connected to the 'net and Xbox Live at the same time. And to make matters more difficult, it isn't as simple as unplugging a cable. Because my computer is screwed up, I'll actually have to turn off my computer, unplug the wire in the computer, plug the Xbox's cable in, play, and then...blah blah blah and so on. You get the idea, no thanks to my college figuring that no one would need more than one port in a dorm room.

Would it be okay if someone just sent me an invite for tournament stuff over Xbox Live or communicated with me through Live so I know what's up?

All you need is an Ethernet hub or switch, which are inexpensive. I can buy a switch for 25$, and hubs hubs are even cheaper.

Anyway, you plug this device into your wall plug, then plug your PC and xBox360 into it.

$25 for a college kid is like $5,000 real world money :)

I'm surprised the wall mount doesn't have at least 2 ports.

Hehe, when I was in college, a cheap switch cost 1500$, so 25$ for a current-day switch is a very good deal :p

Anyway, a hub would do just fine for just two devices, and it's even cheaper than a switch.

There are two spots for wall ports, but only one of them actually has a port in it. As for getting a switch, I've looked for them at area businesses like Best Buy and Circuit City, but nobody around here has ever had them.

There are two spots for wall ports, but only one of them actually has a port in it. As for getting a switch, I've looked for them at area businesses like Best Buy and Circuit City, but nobody around here has ever had them.

Wha? You sure? They might know of them as routers as opposed to switches. Just because they work in electronics doesn't mean they actually know anything about it.

As for getting a switch, I've looked for them at area businesses like Best Buy and Circuit City, but nobody around here has ever had them.
Impossible, I daresay. Any store that sells PCs will had at least a hub or switch in stock.

Go back in a store, and ask for a Ethernet hub and two patch cord. You'll find.

Yeah, it's a staple. It'd be like them having no mice or no TVs in stock at all when you visited.

Would it be okay if someone just sent me an invite for tournament stuff over Xbox Live or communicated with me through Live so I know what's up?

It might be too time consuming to do that for more than a few people in addition to moderating #Wingnut, but you're the first person I've heard with an issue, so that should be fine.

It might be too time consuming to do that for more than a few people in addition to moderating #Wingnut, but you're the first person I've heard with an issue, so that should be fine.

Thank you, I really appreciate it (even though I don't expect to get far in this tournament).

Thanks to the CIC for organizing this event! I had a great time and we should definitely get play days going more often.

Thanks for hosting this tournament. Hopefully we can get more stuff like this going so we can have more online games. Those big capital ship battles were cool as all hell!

I'm guessing the final results will be one today's front page story. I'll wait and see before divulging the results I'm aware of :D

Thanks for hosting this tournament. Hopefully we can get more stuff like this going so we can have more online games. Those big capital ship battles were cool as all hell!

You're welcome. It does take more coordination, time and effort than you might think, which is why scheduled events have fallen through several times in the past. It's up to everybody to take the initiative and try to work out good times to play.

I love it. The year that I graduate from this hellhole, they announce that in the fall, every single dorm room will have twice the amount of jacks in there because so many students have Xbox Live and whatever Wiis and PS3s use.

Back