Wing Commander and Beyond!

The Punisher

Spaceman
Well I thought I would ask if anybody can give me the low down on everything that has come or might come after WC:p, since that was the last game that came out for the series. I heard some stuff about P3, and then some tidbits about how it got cancelled. I wanted Somebody to fill me in on all that. Like the process of origin deciding not to make anymore games and the effect the books and the movie had on it. I don't know alot about the news behind the games.

Also, like any new projects or related projects that origin is working on. I heard for instance chris Roberts is working on some new game that is supposed to be like WC or P2 called Starjammer or Star-something
(I'm pretty sure it's not starjammer but something like that) Anyway,

Later

THE PUNISHER!

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited November 04, 2000).]

Well, you want to know what happened to P3? Just two letters: EA.

After CR left Origin he founded his own company Digital Anvil. They have launched one game so far (with M$ as publisher) called StarLancer. It's a decent game with some quite nice fan-made ship MOD's (see TLR for some of the best!
wink2.gif
).
DA is currently working on an Privateer-like MMP game called FreeLancer. It should be out some time next year (release dates range from spring to fall '01). See the link posted above for more details (or DA's official website which doesn't hold more info anyway).

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Last edited by a moderator:
everything that has come after prophecy: Secret Ops

New WC pojects by origin: None

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

Seing how it was originally distributed by itself, and absolutelly doesn't require Prophecy to run, not it's definetly not a part of Prophecy. It's a stand along game, though not a next full release. Think of it like Prophecy part 2.

Ok then.
smile.gif
Ok EARTHWORM so then is it just one disk and does it have video like WCIII - WC:p

Oh yea and whats the deal with this StarLancer/FreeLancer? Are the two seperate games or what and are they going to be our answers to more WC/P2 games!

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!"

THE PUNISHER!

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited November 04, 2000).]

By the way, Origin removed the Secret Ops to download from their site - is there anybody who knows where I can get them from, now?

------------------
...don't hide your emotions - they'll be your last ones...

Some sites carry the SO episodes, but they do so illegally. OSI stoped their free release of SO a long time ago, and now the only legal way to obtain it is to but Prophecy Gold.

The Punisher said:
Ok EARTHWORM so then is it just one disk and does it have video like WCIII - WC:p
Nope, no video. Though there are few in game cutscenes made with the game engine.

Oh yea and whats the deal with this StarLancer/FreeLancer? Are the two seperate games or what and are they going to be our answers to more WC/P2 games!
Starlancer is similar to our traditional WC game, though it has practicly no character interaction, and is unbalanced in many ways. But it's probably the best non-WC space sim I've seen. Freelancer will be similar to Privateer/P2, if it ever comes out that is. There's supposed to be a SP version with some MP options, and an MMP version will be released about 6 months later, either as an add-on or a seperate game. Keep in mind that FL will most likelly not have a traditional control system like the one we see in WC.

Oh, I heard a curious thing in IRC about that different control system.

"Privateer-on-rails" someone said. Don't remember who...

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our neck before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

To Earthworm:

Do you know a site which still carries the SO episodes (I was searching before but I just found dead links to the official site).

Why is it illegally? I think these were free downloads and so everybody could have a copy - plus - the online registration-sheet is still active!!

------------------

We're not allowed to give you that information, 'cause, as was said earlier, getting SO in any other form aside from WCPG is illegal!

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

1st: It isn't illegal just to tell somebody where he can find something, and

2nd: I still don't understand why SHOULD be illegal when I still can fill in the registration at origin!!!

But-perhaps Dralthi5 can give me a hint...
wink2.gif

------------------

Mav said:
1st: It isn't illegal just to tell somebody where he can find something, and
Just as it isn't illegal for a security guard at a bank to tell a thief when is the best time to steal the cash...

2nd: I still don't understand why SHOULD be illegal when I still can fill in the registration at origin!!!
The registration is there because the original download with the first episode serves as a demo for Prophecy Gold. So people will still nead to unlock it.

Mav said:
Why is it illegally? I think these were free downloads and so everybody could have a copy - plus - the online registration-sheet is still active!!
It's illegal because it was a limited offer. Prophecy Gold is still being sold, and OSI would prefer if people payed for it.

I don't want to blow this up too much, especially 'cause I see that you don't really want to help me on this, but nevertheless there's a lack in logic:

If I bought the game before WCPG edition
but had no possibility/knowledge of downloading SO, Origin can't expect me to buy Prophecy again if I wanna have the SOs.

At least they've to sell them seperatly, what they can't do 'cause it was free, and so ... I'll have to keep on searchin'...

------------------

Mav said:
If I bought the game before WCPG edition
but had no possibility/knowledge of downloading SO, Origin can't expect me to buy Prophecy again if I wanna have the SOs.
So you think you should get a game for free instead? Think of it as buying SO, and geting an extra copy of Prophecy for free.

Mav: I share your predicament. Anyways I've pinned my hopes that someday Origin, or whoevers got the rights at that point, completes the trilogy & releases a 'Prophecy Saga' like KS. Yes wishful thinking at its best but Hell, what else have we got?

A whole lot of nothing, that's what, Penguin.

Hey, you know, I wouldn't mind having two copies of Prophecy? What about you guys?
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back