Wing Commander affected our lives

Originally posted by Viking26
Let's face it, nobody played WC4 for the new and exciting flight engine.

Hey I'll have you know, I've played it many a time, for it's exciting flight engine :p . I also defected right away my first time through, but I chose "I owe him nothing" , I was thinking of the opening of wc2 at the time.

[Edited by Dekkar on 04-14-2001 at 22:08]

Well, I've been hooked on WC since the original game, and it has affected me a heck of a lot over the last decade. What I liked most about it that it had both characters I could care about, and a vision of the future that in many ways seemed more positive than the modern world. Okay, the Kilrathi War was bad news, but the idea of all humans, regardless of race , colour or creed, standing together in a common cause was a wonderfull one. It's a great universe to play in, and a great mythos to believe in.

That's one of the things that motivated me to take on the HTL writing project, when everyone else in the Aces Club was sceptical of the idea. Our last writing project had been someting of a disaster, and there was a general mood that future projects would go much the same way. Personally though, I *really* wanted to add something of my own to the WC mythos, so I figured what, what the hell?

Best, Raptor

Um, how did you get that view of wing commander? I always liked it because it seemed like the realistic progression of humans, there are still bigoted idiots everywhere, and the only time we can even half get along is when our lives are on the line. In Wc2 pretty much every one hated Hobbes, even Blair at first, in wc3 were Hobbes had more then proven himself there were still bigoted idiots who refused to fly with a kilrathi on there wing. In the wc movie people don't like Blair's religion. Then when we finally achieve piece through destroying a planet full of life, everyone goes on a tangent about those damned sub-human boarder worlder, who *gasp* no longer feel they should be governed by confed :rolleyes: .

[Edited by Dekkar on 04-14-2001 at 23:00]

The Confederation is a huge society, and its not fair to lump everyone together. IS it odd that people wouldnt trust someone from a people who were constantly killing your people for decades for no real reason, with the cat your flying with being one of very FEW exceptions to the rule? No. In WC2 Tolwyn, Angel, Sparks, Downtown, and Paladin all trusted Hobbes. During the false truth, most of Confed's civilians were willing to trust the Kilrathi against all evidence to the contrary to stop the fighting and argued any other point of view was bigoted parania. In WC3 Rachel, Eisen, BLair, even Maniac, and again Tolwyn trusted Hobbes. All AFTER being betrayed by the entire race, and having several worlds wiped clean, and Earth heavily devestated. NOw lets talk about a people who betrayed humanity and ruthlessly attacked it Pearl Harbor style. Mass genocides and executions, years of fighting, constant sabotage from the inside, and probably a nasty propoganda machine blaming Pilgrims for every problem Confed had. YOur not going to find to many people who immeadiatly trust that. THen we have the Border Worlds. Even the military was split by that one, half the pilots including Blair hated having to fight them cause they had friends there, other memebers had family that lived there. Only when steered by Tolwyn did they think something was going on there. We only saw Senators who were vying for screen time and political power by backing the "cause of the moment". There may be bigotry, there may be need for revenge, but there is also alot of fairness and open minded.

"You can't trust someone who will kill his own kind."-maniac wc3.

I never said all of confed was bigoted, I never meant to lump them all in one. Clearly the whole human race doesn't consist entirly of bigoted morons now ethier. Meanwhile Hobbes had been an exception to the rule and should have been treated as such, if Canada was at war with asia, all of which caused by a seemingly unprovoked attack on say Nova Scotia, I wouldn't be bitching about Canadian citizens who were of asian decent. Hitler had a nasty propaganda machine blaming Jewish for every problem Germany had, it still didn't make killing the jewish justified. As for the Boarder worlds even though it was with Tolwyn steering it on, it was an easier target for him because they followed a different creed and were a different race. Tolwyn is another example of just how corrupt humans can be and his whole point was trying to create a better 'race' . So in wc there are examples of bigotry based on race,creed,species & religion , yet clearly it's not something confed is based around. Making it very similar to how society is now.

Well, I never said that it was all sweetness and light in the WC universe, but that all of us, for all our differances, were able to work together in a common cause. That, to me, is a lot more positive than the endless divisions and squabbling we see in the modern world. For example, Blair, despite being a Pilgrim who lost his parents in the Pilgrim Wars, and hence might have every reason to hate Confed, is willing to put his life on the line for it. Similarly, the Border Worlders and Confed officers in WC4, despite everything that happened, are willing to work together to stop Tolwyn,

Best, Raptor

How about if I keep this message board for around a month or more so I can contain our opinions.

But please, keep the opinions around the topic.

How has Wing Commander affected our lives?

Hm, Loaf? We may never go only out from our own experience. You're talking from you never forgetting your real life. But in fact, I can say I really forgot it some days! So what you say can't be definitely true, or? Maybe I am not the only. I hope not, but who knows?
I had to set myself away from it, bringing distance between the WC universe and me. So I didn't post some days here, didn't play some weeks. It was radical, but it was necessary. Now I am on holiday, it is okay, if I come more often. But I can say of myself I was able to make the 'jump' away from it. I am little proud of it.:)
And the answer I got before you posted shows others also thought about it....it can really become a problem if it changes your REAL life too much. I had to realize it is just a virtual reality.

WC offered such a fascinating universe to me. It spurred my imagination and made me want to develop that universe more.

How has WC affected me?

For just about every scientist today, science fiction has been both the thing that introduced them to science and the major influence upon which their careers and ideas are based. For me, that influence came from the action-packed, sci fi drama we all know as Wing Commander. :)

It just really inspired my imagination. There was a huge part of me (and there still is) that actually wanted to be a starfighter pilot, even if there was a war. More than any game I've played, I actually felt like I was in the story.

If I could just go back to the point about 'losing real life' I'd like to disagree, there are some situations that you are utterly powerless to alter and it does no good to think about them, and hanging around friends without releaving stress first can be a very good way to loose friends. I was simply sick of my life being in the hands of others, it still is, in WC the fate of the human race depends on you :)
It'd be near impossible to loose your life to Wing Commander, we haven't got a lifetime of games ya know. Escaping reality is always a good thing whether its in the form of a book, music, movie or game and wing commander offers all of those. If you stick to real life 100% of the time you'll likely become an alcholic, either due to the eventual boredom of living in a tiny town with nothing to do or to drown your troubles, Computer games like anything else are a break from reality, not a replacement.

Ya but if you brake completely what is then??? If your reality is just not very nice and you go deeper and deeper in the WC universe to forget reality and because WC, there you can be what you ever wanted to be. Like you said: Hero, saver of the world or even 'important' something depends from you....that is a feeling we don't have today (not very many people have). We are too many humans. The one seems to be unimportant, replacable..If I died today for ex. would that leave a hole behind? My parents would feel sick and my friend. But I am not important for the world. It will turn on as if nothing happened. And that's it. If Blair died, maybe the war would be lost and human race would die....you feel important. And this can art out. That was not the case at my falling apart. But I imagine it can be an explanation.

How has it affected me?

The thing that set it apart from everything else was immersive storyline. Wingmen became friends your actions affected storyline. Most other games including the Star Wars games didn't have this quality. In Freespace you do not know any wingmen so thier deaths have no effect. In X-wing the underlying story was good but you had no character development. For me it was the creation of a complete and wonderful piece of fiction, much like the Ann Mcaffery books of Pern.

Yes, it inspired my imagination... and I will continue to play, and play, and play even if everybody says that it is stupid to use a game whose universe interests nobody ,here, in France...

The Wing Commander series brought me both inspiration and hope for mankinds future. I can say that if things today were like they are depicted in WC, the world would have no shortage of pilots! If there was a way to document the time spent on playing these games, it would far exceed the time spent on anything else, including other games! My dedicated machines that run the older WC games never get shut off, they sit there running the games 24/7, keeping the WC universe alive and well at my home! Indeed, Long live WC!

RFB

They set my standards too high.

I compare *every* game I play, from RPG to RTS, to WC3-P. And so far every game since WC3-P has been a disappointment. I have not played any sim games to the end since WC, this is not an exaggeration. None of them (including Freespace, Iwar, & Crimson Skies) have been able to hold my attention to the end like WC. In fact, I stopped playing CS in order to play Kilrathi Saga.

Yeah you really begin to compare. But I accepted there are no comparable games. I like other games for being different...seen from your point of view all are disappointing. But they are different. They have no films, they maybe don't have such close characters. But many of them also have good storys, inclue good ideas and have good graphics. At the moment I am for ex. banned in front of the PC by Homeworld...it is different, but also good even if it is different. Don't compare! I know it's difficult but it brings you nothing. You only lose fun to play other games...and do you want to play your whole life just WC? Even if no new one comes???

Back