Wing Commander affected our lives

Originally posted by Sonntag
Why is that so? I mean I understand why you cannot close other threads, but what with threads you have created? I mean I once had a bad thread that I wanted to delete as it was off-topic...

Can I delete posts?
That's exactly why you can't close threads - if people had that power, they would want to close their threads once they went off-topic. And that's almost like giving users the power to decide what can and can't be discussed here - a definite no-no. I don't see a single valid reason why a poster should be allowed to close a thread. As for deleting posts, IIRC you can't - but if that's changed, I wouldn't even notice ;).

Admins and moderators can close threads and delete posts. It's not up to regular members to exercise control over the board. You can edit your own posts for a brief period only, I think I set it to two hours.

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Ahh......The old days..........Long Live WC!!! As long as we have working old machines, I think I'll live.

Trick now is to keep them up and running (old pc's) for these games. I am stocking up on mobo's (motherboards), hard drives and memory for my older pc's. At least if something dies in one of them, I can get it back up and running and keep the WC spirit alive in my comp room! (wife always bugs me about keeping machines on 24/7!)

RFB

Yeah, the old machines are cool to run WC and it is so nostalgic to play in Dos. Problem is, I don't have enough screens... :(

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yeah, the old machines are cool to run WC and it is so nostalgic to play in Dos. Problem is, I don't have enough screens... :(

That shouldnt be a problem, grab you one of those switch boxes for the monitor. They have 2 thru 4 input/output boxes so you can tie up to 4 machines thru it for one monitor. Thats what I use!! Works wonderfull! :)

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 05-03-2001 at 16:14]

Yeah my father has one of those and hast great trouble with it. But they are quite old too. Are they expensive? I gotta check.

They are not expensive. Ive never had any problems with mine, but there could be some monitors that do not like to be switched from one machine to another, when you do that, you switch not only the video contents, but the sync pulses that form the frame for the video, and the high voltage circuits in the monitor might not like that! There are 2 types, passive switch and active. The passive is simply a mechanical switch, switching between the machines. The acive switch uses IC buffer chips to isolate the inputs and outputs, so its less "strain" on those high voltage circuts in your monitor. The one I have is an active switch. Cost around 60 bucks, the passive switches are much cheaper, around 15 bucks or so. You can find some thru Computer Shopper magazine or perhaps at some online hardware site, maybe even ebay. :)

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 05-03-2001 at 16:22]

The trouble you mentioned about your fathers monitor switch is usually due to a dirty waffer switch. Dust gets in there and mucks up the contacts on the switch, giving strange results from no picture to missing color or loss of sync. The active switch I have does not use a mechanical switch, it uses push buttons to activate the switching IC's to change the source for the monitor. If you run in very high resolution mode, its best to use the active switch.

Be carefull tho, if one computer is set up for lower resolution and one is set for high resolution, and you switch between them, dont be suprised if your monitor decides to go into "HV shutdown" due to the instant change in H and V sync frequencies, which usually ends up in a blown H output transistor and or fried high voltage transformer (flyback). Then you start to see smoke escaping from the monitor!! Set everything up right and you wont have any trouble!

RFB

Heck with that! Didja know you could use an old Commodore monitor as a TV? The rez is even better than an actual TV and the cable hook up is already installed!!!

Originally posted by Quarto
Originally posted by Sonntag
Why is that so? I mean I understand why you cannot close other threads, but what with threads you have created? I mean I once had a bad thread that I wanted to delete as it was off-topic...

Can I delete posts?
That's exactly why you can't close threads - if people had that power, they would want to close their threads once they went off-topic. And that's almost like giving users the power to decide what can and can't be discussed here - a definite no-no. I don't see a single valid reason why a poster should be allowed to close a thread. As for deleting posts, IIRC you can't - but if that's changed, I wouldn't even notice ;).

Yeah topic drift can go really weard. like my what wouldhave happened to sether thread. all i had asked was what the lab guys wouldhave done to sether if the program had been canceled for real. how did it get to somolia.

DON"T ANSWER THAT! :mad:

Back