Wing Commander: A Shattered Galaxy

milo

Spaceman
A new WC mod for Starshatter has just launched their official web site. Looks like they're off to a good start, especially since the lead developer is really new to Starshatter.

Anyway, I thought some people here might be interested in checking it out:

http://www.riha-games.com

Neat. I'm quite keen to see how this one goes.

(Back when we finally finished UE, I toyed with the idea of doing the sequel in Starshatter, though I eventually abandoned this idea because from what I saw, Starshatter doesn't seem to offer much in terms of mission scripting abilities)

Were you looking for any particular scripting functions? Starshatter mission events allow you to:

* Cause ships to jump into or out of a sector (or break orbit)
* Cause ships to take damage or explode altogether
* Order ships to hold position and take no action for a specified period of time
* Send radio messages between ships
* Change targets and mission goals for any ships
* Change the IFF code for any ship
* Exit the mission

I couldn't really think of any other game functions to automate, but I'm open to suggestions for future patches or "enhanced editions" or what have you.

A great deal of things in particular, actually - above all, the kind of scripting you'd need for cutscenes. So, for example, the ability to force a ship to move in a specific direction, at a specific speed, fire guns or missiles, and so on; also the ability to move a camera around, turn it to face a direction, zoom in and out, or program it to follow a ship around.

Those are the two big things that we found absent. I'm hesitant to mention other, smaller issues, because I suspect a great deal of them are of the "it's doable if you've bothered to learn how to mod the game properly" variety ;).

Just to be clear about this, I don't consider the lack of the above stuff to be in any way detrimental to Starshatter. It's clear that you wanted Starshatter to be very dynamic rather than story-driven, and you've managed this admirably - so, it's only natural that some things we need for a story-driven game are absent in Starshatter.

Quarto -

Thanks for the information. At one point I was hoping to include an in-engine cutscene system for news stories and intel briefings and so on, but I just didn't have any more time left in the schedule. It kind of ties in with being able to do ACMI recordings as well. It's still on the list of things I'd like to do at some point in the future...

No problem ;). Would be great if you do find the time for it eventually - I'd really love to try making some kind of mod for Starshatter, and that's the main problem holding me back.

Is this mod just unavoidably detained or MIA?

Site's down, no trace on any search engine. Bugger.

It just may be a copyright issue (Shattered Galaxy is, as far as I know, a MMORPG involving mechs), but maybe... not.

Great game anyway, Milo.

They were using Starshatter, not Shattered Galaxy. Starshatter is a space flight sim. I don't know what happened to their website.

Back