Wing commander 6 - possible story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a rumor that WC6 scenario has been complited and that they are casting it. And the game is going to use FMV scenes as we all now them whit all original actors. The story - after 9 years gets out form another dimension that he was pulled in in WC5. So he sees that all makind was destroyed by that new mysterous race. So game is splitted in two parts
-FIRST PART you fly form planet to planet in quest for time machine
-SECOND PART you get back 9 years stop yourself on going to that mission and help defatd that new race.

Remeber that this is only a rumor but if it's true....:p :D

We can just hope.;)

Besides, there's already been a "Wing Commander 6".

It was called Wing Commander: Secret Ops.

:p

[QUOTE='Maverick' Blair]I heard a rumor that WC6 scenario has been complited and that they are casting it. And the game is going to use FMV scenes as we all now them whit all original actors. The story - after 9 years gets out form another dimension that he was pulled in in WC5. So he sees that all makind was destroyed by that new mysterous race. So game is splitted in two parts
-SECOND PART you get back 9 years stop yourself on going to that mission and help defatd that new race.

We can just hope.;)[/QUOTE]

Where did you get this?

Death said:
Besides, there's already been a "Wing Commander 6".

It was called Wing Commander: Secret Ops.

:p

SO is just an addon - not exactley a sequel per se to Prophecy, but just a follow up.

I can say without reservation that the rumors mentioned in the first post are absolutely untrue.

SO is just an addon - not exactley a sequel per se to Prophecy, but just a follow up.

This is a strange statement to make.

In so far as I can tell, the only thing which makes a game an 'addon' is that it requires a previous product to play. The Secret Missions requires the original Wing Commander, and so is an addon... Wing Commander II does not, and so it is not.

I have no idea at all how you're differentiating 'sequel' and 'follow up' -- the two concepts seem to be one and the same (our favorite internet dictionary goes so far as to define a sequel as something which follows something else).

Be that as it may, Secret Ops is certainly both follow up and sequel to Prophecy... it continues the story of the last game and tells a new one, follows he same character, etc.

I understand that there's an impetus to label any game that uses the same ships or (to a lesser extent) 3D engine as an "addon", with the term taking on some awful derogatory meaning... and I am not accusing you of this -- because it's a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do.

[QUOTE='Maverick' Blair]I heard a rumor that WC6 scenario has been complited and that they are casting it. And the game is going to use FMV scenes as we all now them whit all original actors. The story - after 9 years gets out form another dimension that he was pulled in in WC5. So he sees that all makind was destroyed by that new mysterous race. So game is splitted in two parts

We can just hope.;)[/QUOTE]

If I may ask, where did you here that?

It seems crazy.

If there was indeed a new WC game in the works, the people who run this site would likely be first to know.

It sounds vaugely like one of the Privateer 3 scripts -- with a Steltek time machine being used as a device to bring back Kilrah. I'm pretty sure I have the script for that scanned in our archive.

Bandit LOAF said:
I can say without reservation that the rumors mentioned in the first post are absolutely untrue.

In so far as I can tell, the only thing which makes a game an 'addon' is that it requires a previous product to play. The Secret Missions requires the original Wing Commander, and so is an addon... Wing Commander II does not, and so it is not.

I have no idea at all how you're differentiating 'sequel' and 'follow up' -- the two concepts seem to be one and the same (our favorite internet dictionary goes so far as to define a sequel as something which follows something else).

Be that as it may, Secret Ops is certainly both follow up and sequel to Prophecy... it continues the story of the last game and tells a new one, follows he same character, etc.

I understand that there's an impetus to label any game that uses the same ships or (to a lesser extent) 3D engine as an "addon", with the term taking on some awful derogatory meaning... and I am not accusing you of this -- because it's a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do.

Well SO has something of an addon - it follows the naming schematic of the WC addons (secret missons, spetial ops, secret ops:) and was re-relased in a package named "PROPHECY gold" like the previous WC addons, so it is more than just ships and engine, some people may be mistaken (i was mistaken for the long time since i got it in WCP gold)

Like how Wing Commander Academy was an addon to Wing Commander II? The *only* factor which makes something an addon is that it... well, adds on to an existing game.

Lt.Death100 said:
Technically it isn't an addon but in spirit it is. It uses the same engine along with very similar ships.

WC4 uses WC3's engine (albeit minorly tweaked... kinda like the Vision engine had done for WCSO) with "very similar ships", but no one seems to have problems thinking WC4 is a new game, and not an add-on to WC3.

Death said:
WC4 uses WC3's engine (albeit minorly tweaked... kinda like the Vision engine had done for WCSO) with "very similar ships", but no one seems to have problems thinking WC4 is a new game, and not an add-on to WC3.
WC4 has numerous things that set it apart. It doesn't take place in the same conflict, it has more ships (BW ships, the dragon, etc.), and the engine was upgraded alot. SO had little in the way of new ships (mostly upgraded original ones) and didn't have the kind of improvements as from WC3 to WC4. Of course this is mostly just IMO, you can see lots of different ways. Just explaining my reasoning here. :)

MartySheen said:
If I may ask, where did you here that?

It seems crazy.

I was sort of wondering that too, but looking at it again (with all those smilies) it seems like he may have been trying to make a joke.

Bandit LOAF said:

Would you consider it a expansion pack sequel? How about a stand-alone expansion pack?

Would consider it a expansion pack sequel? How about a stand-alone expansion pack?

I don't understand where you're going with this. It's not an 'expansion pack' for exactly the same reason it's not an 'add on' -- it isn't expanding the original game, it's a separate game. "Stand-alone expansion pack" is a contradiction in terms.

I disagree, an expansion is generally an addition to an existing game and does not require the original game such as Half Life: Blue Shift, Half Life: Opposing Forces and Half Life: Decay which generally qualifies it as a stand alone expansion.

Expansion pack sequels generally refer to games that a sequel is issued but based off the same engine. Fallout 1 and 2 a good examples of this. Now just because it's numbered a different game doesn't take it out of the expansion pack realm.

I disagree, an expansion is generally an addition to an existing game and does not require the original game such as Half Life: Blue Shift, Half Life: Opposing Forces and Half Life: Decay which generally qualifies it as a stand alone expansion.

I don't know what any of those things are -- The Secret Missions, Secret Missions 2, Special Operations 1, Special Operations 2 and Righteous Fire are expansion packs... they all *expand* an existing game. Secret Ops does not, and therefore is not. If whatever horrible generation took over computer games after they stopped being fun has decided to pretend there can actually be a "stand alone expansion", then it's just a bunch of kids being idiots. Nothing to do with Wing Commander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back