wing commander 4

stuboy

Spaceman
Can't seem to get past the mission to Disable Only the Confed transport. I either destroy it or myself. Is there an answer?

The on with Eisen in it? You can't disable it. It has to escape. With or without you.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

i thing he means the BlackLance transport "Wow, will you look at that boat"
wink.gif

Press "H" and select the leece guns, or leece missles, and fire away. when the target turns grey on your radar, it's disabled...taddaa a mighty succes for the Border worlds.

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCESCRP

Last edited by a moderator:
But it wouldn´t work with the Bugs, righ? Since their ships are bio-stuff. That´s a shame... it will be nice to analyse a "living" bug fighter.

[This message has been edited by Asterix (edited June 20, 2000).]

Oh, the bug ships probably do have electrical systems that could be shorted out. The trouble would be getting to them - unlike metals, plastic and other organic materials just don't conduct very well. The leech weapons would probably melt the bug ships (but they wouldn't do anywhere near as much damage as a conventional laser anyway).

Hmm, maybe if the missile was a very high powered "dart", which would be fired at point blank range, so that it would pierce the outer skin and thus gain access to the electrical systems inside...

Going along with that idea, you could retrofit an EMP device inside the missile that, once it pierces the outer "skin" it releases an EMP burst inside the bug ship knocking it out.

yes, but you can use the same idea ang just use an explosive charge...but that will destroy it at's that's not what we want here..
wink.gif

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCESCRP

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that wouldn't really work anyway. The whole point of using a dart-like missile is to punch through the armour. Now, if you attach an explosive charge at the end, it'll no longer be a dart, and too blunt to puncture anything.

Quarto: not necessarily. How do you think earlier armor-piercing warheads were made? The tip of the dart is solid, but the core might be very powerful explosives that would result in flying fragments. The reason we dont use them anymore is because we came up with shaped charges. It effectively shoots a bolt of molten metal through armor at insane velocities (sort of a pneumatic effect). Would be great against plasticine materials or metals. I doubt it would work that well against crystalline armor, however, seeing as the top layers of crystals would slag off and absorb the blast, leaving the rest untouched. Also, organic materials are decent conductors as long as they have free ions in them (such as the dissolved salt in our bodies). This is what makes us (our nerves specifically) so vulnerable to shock. It's a crystalline material (silicates perhaps) that would prevent such a blast from being effective if it relied on through-material conduction. However, if it was just a brute-force blast it would take a barrier of lead or some similar shielding to protect your systems.

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

Back