Wing Commander 4 & Vista x64

ltwally

Spaceman
I've seen some patches to run WC4 in win2k... those might actually work for playing wc4, if I could only get it installed.

Has anyone succeeded in installing and playing WC4 under Vista 64-bit ??

Instructions??

Thanks in advance.

What version of Wing Commander 4? You can install the DOS version via the instructions in our tech support section and then apply the windows patch. At what point do you encounter trouble when trying to install?

I have the dos version of WC 4 and Vista 64, I just installed it with the windows patch and it works fine. No compatibility mode change either

I've been trying to get the WCIV DVD working on my Vista x64 machine all day with no luck. I've installed the dxmci.dll version 1.5 and Guilkoza's patch for the VirtualProtect() errors, and the movies play fine (including the dialog choices), but as soon as I'm supposed to launch into spaceflight I get dumped to desktop with a standard Windows "This program has stopped working" error dialog. This happens regardless of whether or not I'm running as administrator. My system is a custom-built one, with an AMD Athlon x2 4200+ CPU, 3GB of RAM, and a 1GB Radeon HD4650 graphics card. Any suggestions?

What you tried the different compatibility modes? You might try running the game with a -d command line switch to disable double-buffering. That disables some of the directx stuff and runs the game more like the DOS version.

Same problem here.

Vista 64, Intel CPU, Radeon GPU. Crashes to desktop on entering spaceflight. Once I got it working by uninstalling FFDShow as the game seemed to activate it, but upon an uninstall and reinstall of WC4 it no longer works, with or without FFDshow. I think the codecs might still be on my system somewhere but I've run all the cleaner tools I can find with no luck. Would appreciate any help from anyone who's had a similar issue.

Well poop! Right after I posted this I figured out a solution. I went into FFDshow Video Decoder configuration, to the codecs menu. Down under MPEG2 the option was "disabled." I changed this to "libavcodec" and everything works fine! Apparently if you have or once had FFDshow on your system, you need to have FFDshow decode the video in order to transition to the game. The default is to let Windows handle it.

Back