Wing Commander 4 on Win 7 64bit

gmw

Spaceman
Ok, so I got the Dual-Side DVD of WC4 and installed it without much problems. I applied Gulikozas 1.5 Patch, but now when I start the game, I just flat out gives me a "movie missing" message, with the path to the file where it should be, and after I checked: Where it actually is.

I tried to run Gulikozas dll configuration, which I remember has an option for an alternative filepath, however, double clicking the configuration link resulted in a "is not a valid win32 application error".

However, by manually running "rundll32 c:\games\wc4dvd\dxmci.dll,configure" I managed to get up the configuration panel, but when I try to save changes, it gives an error message "can't save 0x02".

I'm at a loss here :/ Is there any other way I can set a alternate file path to the vobs?

NEVER MIND I'm an idiot. Instead of manually starting the dll with rundll, modify the configuration link so that the link target is: "%WINDIR%\system32\rundll32.exe dxmci.dll,configure" This will result in the configuration dialogue working properly. Got the game up and running now :)

Hey I got the Dual-Side DVD as well, and managed to get the 1.5 patch working using your suggestions here. Only problem is, after a movie plays, the game crashes. If I replace mpeg2.dll with the original one, the movies dont play, but I can play the game fine. Put in the mpeg2.dll from Gulikoza's patch and movies play, but game crashes...
What compatibility settings are you using, and did you use any other patches?
I also have win7 x64
Thanks!

Hey I got the Dual-Side DVD as well, and managed to get the 1.5 patch working using your suggestions here. Only problem is, after a movie plays, the game crashes. If I replace mpeg2.dll with the original one, the movies dont play, but I can play the game fine. Put in the mpeg2.dll from Gulikoza's patch and movies play, but game crashes...
What compatibility settings are you using, and did you use any other patches?
I also have win7 x64
Thanks!

Do you have powerDVD installed (or any other Cyberlink software) by any chance? If so, then you can try running (should be in your WC4 folder) register.bat -several times even. If that doesn't fix it, then you can always try uninstalling PowerDVD.

Do you have powerDVD installed (or any other Cyberlink software) by any chance? If so, then you can try running (should be in your WC4 folder) register.bat -several times even. If that doesn't fix it, then you can always try uninstalling PowerDVD.

Tired uninstalling powerDVD. Tried running register.bat... several times. Still no.
As a side note, I tried using the direct draw hack for the cd version (I'm desperate...) and when I use that, the SOUND in the movies play's, but no video, BUT there is no crash and I can play normally. I'm not a programmer, I can't fathom what circumstances would cause the game to crash at the end of a video sequence... (note: I can choose dialogue options fine, and the next video will play, its only when the whole sequence is done that it crashes) I tried progressing a little bit with the videos in non working order to make sure it wasnt just the opening sequence and no luck either, any movie that plays, after it ends game ctd's...

in response to the powerDVD thing, do you think this could be a codec error?

EDIT: Found this in the windows event viewer, not sure if it can help.

Faulting application name: wc4dvd.exe, version: 3.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x341eb4be
Faulting module name: atiumdag.dll, version: 8.14.10.784, time stamp: 0x4ca2961e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000168dc
Faulting process id: 0x1ff8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb7d7a53dddef7
Faulting application path: C:\wc4dvd\wc4dvd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atiumdag.dll
Report Id: a21974c1-e96d-11df-8f38-485b3902ec38

Thanks for helping btw!

Tired uninstalling powerDVD. Tried running register.bat... several times. Still no.
As a side note, I tried using the direct draw hack for the cd version (I'm desperate...) and when I use that, the SOUND in the movies play's, but no video, BUT there is no crash and I can play normally. I'm not a programmer, I can't fathom what circumstances would cause the game to crash at the end of a video sequence... (note: I can choose dialogue options fine, and the next video will play, its only when the whole sequence is done that it crashes) I tried progressing a little bit with the videos in non working order to make sure it wasnt just the opening sequence and no luck either, any movie that plays, after it ends game ctd's...

in response to the powerDVD thing, do you think this could be a codec error?

EDIT: Found this in the windows event viewer, not sure if it can help.

Faulting application name: wc4dvd.exe, version: 3.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x341eb4be
Faulting module name: atiumdag.dll, version: 8.14.10.784, time stamp: 0x4ca2961e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000168dc
Faulting process id: 0x1ff8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb7d7a53dddef7
Faulting application path: C:\wc4dvd\wc4dvd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atiumdag.dll
Report Id: a21974c1-e96d-11df-8f38-485b3902ec38

Thanks for helping btw!

So the game crashes completely? Does is exit out to the desktop? Or just hand with a black screen? Or hang with the last video frame? Pressing escape or space bar doesn't do anything?

It sounds like it's possibly a codec issue, but maybe more likely a video driver version. From the error log you pasted it looks like you have an ATI card... I guess it would tell you if it was a driver issue if you roll back to an older video driver.

So the game crashes completely? Does is exit out to the desktop? Or just hand with a black screen? Or hang with the last video frame? Pressing escape or space bar doesn't do anything?

It sounds like it's possibly a codec issue, but maybe more likely a video driver version. From the error log you pasted it looks like you have an ATI card... I guess it would tell you if it was a driver issue if you roll back to an older video driver.

It goes to the desktop. "WC4DVD has encountered an error and needs to be shut down. Windows is checking for solution blah blah..."

Funny thing is I tried updating my drivers.... don't want to know how far back I would have to go to know for sure. I also tried disabling any fancy features, crossfire etc. so that's not it either.
Not sure where to go from here other than messing around with codecs... still I feel like the mpeg2dec from the Gulikoza patch should be working. I have also tried all the compatibility modes in that patch...

It goes to the desktop. "WC4DVD has encountered an error and needs to be shut down. Windows is checking for solution blah blah..."

Funny thing is I tried updating my drivers.... don't want to know how far back I would have to go to know for sure. I also tried disabling any fancy features, crossfire etc. so that's not it either.
Not sure where to go from here other than messing around with codecs... still I feel like the mpeg2dec from the Gulikoza patch should be working. I have also tried all the compatibility modes in that patch...

It doesn't seem to be the mpeg2dec specifically. Normally, if the game has an issue with the mpeg2 it doesn't crash to the desktop. It would usually give you an error message in game, essentially bypassing the video file after which you would be able to play the gameflow portions and spaceflight, kind of what happens when you replace the original mpeg2.dll. The ddhack file doesn't actually work with the DVD version, at least not yet.

Alternately, are you running the WC4 exe in windows compatability modes as well as playing with the compatability modes of Gulikoza's patch as well? Have you tried older versions of the patch (V1.3 etc)?

It doesn't seem to be the mpeg2dec specifically. Normally, if the game has an issue with the mpeg2 it doesn't crash to the desktop. It would usually give you an error message in game, essentially bypassing the video file after which you would be able to play the gameflow portions and spaceflight, kind of what happens when you replace the original mpeg2.dll. The ddhack file doesn't actually work with the DVD version, at least not yet.

Alternately, are you running the WC4 exe in windows compatability modes as well as playing with the compatability modes of Gulikoza's patch as well? Have you tried older versions of the patch (V1.3 etc)?

Ya, I've tried most of the older versions of the patch, running it with and without compatibility (both windows, and the patches).
And ya, I know the ddhack doesnt work with the dvd version, still its curious that the sound plays and prevents the game from crashing... I suppose if I cant get the videos to work properly sound but no video is better than nothing at all.

Good morning everyone

I am encountering the same problem as TheNerd1

I have read this thread and the CIC tech support page, and am at a loss as to what to do.

I am running Win 7 pro x64

I have wc4dvd.exe set to win 98 compatibility and I have added gulikoza's DXMCI.dll Version 1.3 along with the AC3 filter

The game will load, and the intro video plays just fine, (heck its gorgeous to watch compared to the interlaced WC4 CD video) and the first 2 decision points work just fine. once the sequence where Maniac and Blair lift off completes the game crashes to desktop with "WC4DVD has stopped working"... blah blah blah, no error code and it closes the program.

My father gave me his coveted DVD because I am a WC nut, and I really wanted to play WC4 on my new 1080p monitor. oddly enough my DOS version of WC4 works on win 7.

I downloaded Queeg's WC4 movie so at least I got to see the video in high quality, so as they say life is good. I have resigned myself that Ill never play the WC4 DVD unless I start building an old computer with win 98 just to play it. however, since ya'll are much more experienced and knowledgeable then perhaps there is something I missed, is there any hope to get it to run on win 7?

Have you tried the dxmci version 1.5 pack? As an aside, someone emailed to let me know the copy of 1.5 that we had on the CIC was missing the mpeg2.dll file, which didn't seem to raise any flags for a couple years, but I figure it couldn't hurt to add back in (from the 1.3 pack). Have you also run the mpeg2dec?

Ok, so I got the Dual-Side DVD of WC4 and installed it without much problems. I applied Gulikozas 1.5 Patch, but now when I start the game, I just flat out gives me a "movie missing" message, with the path to the file where it should be, and after I checked: Where it actually is.

I tried to run Gulikozas dll configuration, which I remember has an option for an alternative filepath, however, double clicking the configuration link resulted in a "is not a valid win32 application error".

However, by manually running "rundll32 c:\games\wc4dvd\dxmci.dll,configure" I managed to get up the configuration panel, but when I try to save changes, it gives an error message "can't save 0x02".

I'm at a loss here :/ Is there any other way I can set a alternate file path to the vobs?

NEVER MIND I'm an idiot. Instead of manually starting the dll with rundll, modify the configuration link so that the link target is: "%WINDIR%\system32\rundll32.exe dxmci.dll,configure" This will result in the configuration dialogue working properly. Got the game up and running now :)

I've had similar problems, and have the same version of windows. When I change the target to the one suggested, I can get the configuration panel up, but then I get the error that rundll32 has stopped working.

Back