Wing commander 4 dvd video quality

Actually, the closest I got was WC4 actually ran and played the movies. However, it didn't properly get the end of movie signal... so you saw about half the movie (especially after a decision point).

Worf said:
Actually, the closest I got was WC4 actually ran and played the movies. However, it didn't properly get the end of movie signal... so you saw about half the movie (especially after a decision point).
Yeah, that happened with most software decoders. You have to ESCape at the end of the movies. Actually this happens in other games as well, but the problem with Wing Commander is, that ESCape not only quits the current movie but the whole movie chain.
The only decoder working for this game is SoftwareCinemaster in some versions (for example ATI DVD 4.1)
Unfortunately it seem to be rather picky about your system

to akrovah, if you would like to sell your copy of the dvd, email me at fishinman1000@aol.com. i have the double sided dvd of wc4 if you would like to trade also.

I have both the Wing Commander IV DVD and a Creative Labs DXR2 DVD decoder card (the one it's designed to play on) that I'm going to sell. I'll probably put it up on Ebay as a bundle - WC IV with free decoder card :rolleyes: :D

Do you think there'd be much interest from Wing Commander fans for this?

Yes, there normally should be ;) - Even now, that you can play it without DXR2 card via Directshow. But one tip: Call the ebay topic something like Wing Commander IV DVD with DXR2 card. ;) I mention that cause I got such a bundle for 20€, while a single DVD (without DXR-2 card I mean) went for over 50€ at the same time. Why? Simple: The guy just called it Creative DXR2 card or so - no word about WC IV DVD, only in the description :D

I not registered here, but I'm looking for the DVD as well

I see some ebay auctions that just sell the DVD for 7 to 10 dollars.

I'm from Europe myself and I own Wing Commander 3, 4 and 5 on CD

and I'm dying to get the DVD of 4 just because of the movies (like most here do)

You might also want to check the German or UK ebay or other European ones, so you save some shipping costs. And make sure you get the Double Sided one, cause the single sided is simply the 6 CDs on one DVD, no better movie quality. And good luck in bidding ;)

Sorry if this is getting redundant, but......

4 or 5 years ago I installed a Creative Encore 8X PC DVD player in my computer. About 2 years ago I pulled the decoder board when I decided to simplify things and use a software program (Power DVD) to decode DVDs.

This week I bought the WCIV DVD and obviously I want to see the DVD quality movies. So, am I to understand that the best/only way to do this is to reinstall my decoder board?

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, that is the best means unless you want to attempt to get it to work with your software. I would strongly recommend you use the dxr board and be done with it, even if it is just for this one game.

Depends on whether he can free a PCI slot and if he has got drivers for the OS. - Cause the patch isn't that hard to install / uninstall anyway. Much easier than putting in a DXR card again + install it. ;) - If it doesn't work, then I'd install the DXR card, too.

THE_WUQKED said:
Depends on whether he can free a PCI slot and if he has got drivers for the OS. - Cause the patch isn't that hard to install / uninstall anyway. Much easier than putting in a DXR card again + install it. ;) - If it doesn't work, then I'd install the DXR card, too.

I should still have the install/software CD that came with the drive. I was using Windows 98SE or ME when I bought it (can't remember which), but I now use XP Pro. A free PCI slot is no problem either.

So, in short, I understand the problem with the DVD isn't actually the game itself per se, but one of having the "cut scenes" operate normally? And the game often crashes when these movies fail?

IT does not actually crash. As far as I can remember you can play through it without a DXR2-card and without patch, but you'll always get error's about missing movies.
To your Software/drivers: If you bought that drive when there was no XP, there aren't drivers/software on it that work under XP (only if you are very lucky), so you would have to download them. - Besides that, the Patch mentioned in the News and the Thread I linked doesn't harm your PC. The worst thing that can happen, is it doesn't fix the bug. Then you can try getting drivers for your DXR2 card anyway. But if you prefer a hardware solution, it's your choice. I personally pulled my DXR2 card out of my PC when the patch came out ;) (OK, didn't have that much PCI slots under my Wing Commander PC with Win98SE.)

Back