wing commander 3 with no sound

U

Unregistered

hi i've just installed wc3 on my pc but i get no sound at all can anyone help?
i need to sort out the joystick but the rest of the game works fine.

I used to have the same problem.

There are some patches on another site that would work just fine for you. There was another thread on this somewhere. Does anyone remeber the URL to the site that has the patches to make WC3 and WC4 run properly under windows... if not, maybe I could try to e-mail the patches to you. (We really ought to put those patches on our site so we don't have to link to a place that has pirate connections).

I don't have time to search for the thread right now, but I think the thread was in the Wing Commander Chat Zone and the title included URGENT in it. In fact, everyone kind of ended up making fun of the urgent thing. Anyways browse the forums, find that thread, and it should have the links you need to get patches that will make WC3 run with sound on your machine.

Maybe someone else will be kind enough to post a link to the thread... (wishful thinking, I know).

If you'd give us some more info on your system we might be able to help. If it is XP I'd suggest trying VDMSOUND.

lol.. mine just stutters for the first 2 seconds of each sound file. im running win XP, with all the mem settings to auto and the win95 compatilbility mode. Set sound to sound blaster pro i think, with the port and irq set to default.

Found this thread and figured i'd revive it. I have the exact same issue here. System specs:

Windows XP SP 2
Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
768 MB of RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Soundblaster Live! Audio [8400]

I've tried both Dosbox and VDMSound. I can run the game perfectly. Hell I can run it perfectly without using any of those. Gameplay, FMV's, everything works flawlessly on all three methods. It's just that I have no sound at all, doesn't matter which method I use. I mean common, if I could at least get it to where the sound would skip and stutter, that'd be fine. I just want some sound dangit!

Unregistered said:
Found this thread and figured i'd revive it. I have the exact same issue here. System specs:

Windows XP SP 2
Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
768 MB of RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Soundblaster Live! Audio [8400]

I've tried both Dosbox and VDMSound. I can run the game perfectly. Hell I can run it perfectly without using any of those. Gameplay, FMV's, everything works flawlessly on all three methods. It's just that I have no sound at all, doesn't matter which method I use. I mean common, if I could at least get it to where the sound would skip and stutter, that'd be fine. I just want some sound dangit!

Double check what settings dosbox is putting for your sound card. I think it defaults to irq 7 or something, so first thing would be to make sure you've picked all the right settings in the wc3 installer.

On that same note, I can run it perfectly with VDMSound, everything looks, runs and sounds great, I was even suprised to find that it recognised and uses my USB Joystick. Only problem is that my Tab key dosent work, so I cant use my Afterburner, makes for some rather slow dogfights....Any ideas on that one????:confused:

I've never used VDMSound, but I do think the problem is DOSBox's default IRQ7. All the WC game installers default to 5, and you have to change these so they match.

Ok, the problem now is I get an error when trying to run WC3. It gives me a "could not load digital sound card" error. Any ideas? I've tried multiple settings in the DOSBox config. Nothing seems to work.

Unregistered said:
Ok, the problem now is I get an error when trying to run WC3. It gives me a "could not load digital sound card" error. Any ideas? I've tried multiple settings in the DOSBox config. Nothing seems to work.

Well, If your changing the sound settings in the Dosbox config file you need to make sure you are reseting the sound card setup in the wc3 installer to match the new dosbox settings. Otherwise next time you load the game the settings might be different and you'll get that error.

AD said:
Well, If your changing the sound settings in the Dosbox config file you need to make sure you are reseting the sound card setup in the wc3 installer to match the new dosbox settings. Otherwise next time you load the game the settings might be different and you'll get that error.

Yeah I made absolutly sure that what was in the DOSbox config, paralleled what was in the WC3 setup. I'm still getting that error though. I seem to also be getting a "processor exception" error now too, which leads me to believe that perhaps the CPU cycles I entered is incorrect.

Unregistered said:
Yeah I made absolutly sure that what was in the DOSbox config, paralleled what was in the WC3 setup. I'm still getting that error though. I seem to also be getting a "processor exception" error now too, which leads me to believe that perhaps the CPU cycles I entered is incorrect.

Are you running it with dynamic core enabled? That could be making it too unstable.

Yeah, I am. I have dynamic enabled and I found the sweet spot for perfect sound to be 10000 cycles (at least for my system). At least the sound is perfect when I can get to the setup screen and test it. But now I can't run the game. Dosbox crashes when I try and run the game.

Yeah, unfortunately, the game is fairly unstable with dynamic core enabled as well. You might have to end up waiting a bit till you have a more powerful computer, though a 2.5 GHz system should be able to handle 10,000 cycles fine with the normal core on.

Back