Wing Commander 3 sound in windows?

Dougie

Spaceman
Does anyone know how to get sound working on a Winxp system that's absolutely impossible to configure in Dos?

Let me try to understand this:

1. Wing Commander 3 sound in Windows?

2. how to get sound working /

3. on a Winxp system /

4. that's absolutely impossible to configure in Dos?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Please rephrase your question, and next time do it in the Tech Support zone. Wing Commander 3 should work fine on Windows 95 or 98, I´m not sure about XP though.

Well..I got the same problem in XP.You got the problem only with the FX or the music too ?In my case the music plays fine but the FX wont play..This has something to do with the soundcard settings i guess... I´ve tried different settings but i dont get it to run..But like Starkey said...Next time please post it in the Tech Support Zone :)

Originally posted by Dougie
Does anyone know how to get sound working on a Winxp system that's absolutely impossible to configure in Dos?

Do you have a sound card or an on-board sound chip?

Oh wait it works!!!

Must be something to do with winxp.

Ok sorry I'll use tech support section next time.

The problem I had originally was under win98. I'll outline the problem I had in case anyone cares, but I don't. woohoo!
(I actually hadn't tried playing it since I got xp which was like back in March).

Forgive my lack of eloquence in the original post.

-It'd do the pretty rotating victory graphics test no problem.
-Then it'd ask me to choose sound card I/O IRQ DMA or whatever as well as select which sound type etc.

I would go to the windows hardware settings but I wouldn't be able to find everything, and no combination actually worked.

Nevermind. I finally got Win IV for windows (I had 3&4 on my mac already but the mac was only 80mhz and it was choppy and slow) through ebay and it arrived this morning, so now I have managed to scrounge:

Wing 1 KS version off a PCGamer cover CD. Consequent SM1&2 off wcnews
Wing 2 off a mate who thought I was dotty. Included SO1&2. Running with no sound but who cares.
Wing 3 off a mate who's not asked for it back in 2 years
Wing IV off e-bay

This means a go-through-the first four games-athon! Maybe some of the books too.

cheers all

Back