Wing Commander 3 Ranked 14 on gamedaily.com

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/galleries/top-25-best-game-endings/?icid=aimDBDL1_image-b&page=13

Wing Commander once again makes an appearance. This time, Wing Commander 3 gets ranked 14th on Gamedaily.com's top 25 game endings of all time.

Anyone who'd made it through all three installments of this space flight sim (plus expansion packs) had most likely nurtured a healthy hatred for the Kilrathi, having been shot at by them all the time, and all. Still, many a Terran Confederation veteran shed a tear when Christopher Blair (played in FMV cutscenes by Mark Hamill) finally destroys the Kilrathi's homeworld and breaks the proud warrior race once and for all. It was a rewarding and thrilling end to an incredible gaming saga, even if the Kilrathi Muppets left a little something to be desired.

WC3 was, and is to this day my favourite of the entire series. Although WC installments were often benchmarks in gaming, I think that the third edition really was considered publically the most groundbreaking with its cinematics, graphics, gameplay and storyline.

It was a huge release at the time, and it must have been a massive operation to put it together - from actors, voiceovers, artists, composers, puppeteers to developers, storywriters, programmers, the credit list is huge.

Kilrathi Muppets left a little something to be desired.
:eek:

I still think it looks great, the ships fly great and the Kilrathi look the best of any in the WC series.

Easily my favourite game of all time.

I still think it looks great, the ships fly great and the Kilrathi look the best of any in the WC series.

I'm partial to the WC2 kilrathi myself... The WC3 ones weren't too bad if you only looked at hobbes and maybe thrakhath. Melek was pretty awful in WC4 though as were all the kilrathi guards in the background in WC3.

I agree, about Melek in WC4 - but most the cats in WC3 were pretty much just how I would expect them to look (yeah some of the background extras were a bit weak). The emperor in WC3 I thought looked great.

WC2 Kilrathi did have a certain charm to them, but too 'cat like' for my liking...To me the Kilrathi, although vaguely resemblant of felines, would have looked more alien than in WC2...

I think also WC3 Kilrathi voices were the best.

While WC3 was certainly a great ending to the Kilrathi war and the trilogy...I have a problem calling the death star trench run one of the greatest endings...

WC2 Kilrathi are my favorite, although I agree that some of the WC3 ones are really great. The Kilrathi voices in WC3 are also my favorite as well. They sound exactly what you might think an 8ft tall bipedal feline-like alien would sound like :p

I had no problems with the hiroshima-like ending back then, but now I think it wasn't that right.
Nevertheless, WC3 is my favorite. I sat in front of the PC, shivering. After hours of playing the last missions.

About the Kilrathi.
I didn't like the WC2 ones much. Too much... Kellogg's-Style, especially Hobbes. Cats. Much worse than WC1, I liked those. WC3 made them Aliens, which was good. Frightening. Cool. (apart from some in the background.)

I had no problems with the hiroshima-like ending back then, but now I think it wasn't that right.
Nevertheless, WC3 is my favorite. I sat in front of the PC, shivering. After hours of playing the last missions.

About the Kilrathi.
I didn't like the WC2 ones much. Too much... Kellogg's-Style, especially Hobbes. Cats. Much worse than WC1, I liked those. WC3 made them Aliens, which was good. Frightening. Cool. (apart from some in the background.)
I think that was the point of the ending. To make people think. When you're put in the situation where it is literally them or you, what would you do?

If you knew that if you didn't destroy the Kilrathi Homeworld that the Kilrathi would over-run and destroy Earth and all of her people, as well as the rest of the Terran Confederation (especially with the advent of the biological weapons), would you be willing to end the war by destroying their homeworld?

This wasn't a Hiroshima, where the detonation saved many lives, but was not instrumental to the survival of the species (The U.S. was getting close to Japan herself, and I remember seeing projections that the U.S. would have won the war regardless of the A-bomb drops). This was literally done for the survival of the species, and it raises a lot of ethical questions in the player.

I don't know for sure, but if I were in Blair's place, I think I would go through with it (although be very conflicted the entire way.

If it wasn't for the Kilrathi trying to destroy an entire planet with Bioweapons, destroying Kilrah may have been a tougher decision (assuming you hadn't read the Forstchen books). Prior to that, it seemed the Kilrathi enslaved planets but never resorted to mass genocide of civilian populations. It would've been a much more interesting situation if they made a big deal about the Kilrathi being too honorable to resort to such things.

The trench run was a natural decision after the events that lead to that mission. You already destroy several planets with populations even before Kilrah. The Behemoth destroys a planet, then you destroy one with the Temblor Bomb prior to the Kilrah run. Perhaps Confed not only wanted to test it's weapons, but also the resolve of it's pilots. Perhaps that's a reason the Victory was given the assignment of testing the weapons rather than some other carrier. Using a different carrier could allow the Victory to attract less attention and sneak towards Kilrah.

Even though it was created many years later, I've always enjoyed wing commander 3 more than the star wars movies. Including the original trilogy. As good as the trilogy is it just never grabbed me as deeply as WC did.

Yeah, good old Mark Hamil making the death star run all over again. :p

Yeah, what a coincidence!
I don't know if it is just the translation, but when I heard Paladin's description of the Temblor Bomb in my german version of WC3 I instantly thought "Star Wars", because even the sentence in which Paladin describes how the bomb works is very close to the (also german) mission briefing for Luke against the Death Star in Star Wars IV.

I think that was the point of the ending. To make people think. When you're put in the situation where it is literally them or you, what would you do?

If you knew that if you didn't destroy the Kilrathi Homeworld that the Kilrathi would over-run and destroy Earth and all of her people, as well as the rest of the Terran Confederation (especially with the advent of the biological weapons), would you be willing to end the war by destroying their homeworld?

This wasn't a Hiroshima, where the detonation saved many lives, but was not instrumental to the survival of the species (The U.S. was getting close to Japan herself, and I remember seeing projections that the U.S. would have won the war regardless of the A-bomb drops). This was literally done for the survival of the species, and it raises a lot of ethical questions in the player.

I don't know for sure, but if I were in Blair's place, I think I would go through with it (although be very conflicted the entire way.

That was my thoughts exactly. It may not be nice to destroy a planet, and one should avoid it whenever possible, because it is.... just wrong.

But It was made clear in one mission briefing why it was neccessary. Still the conflict for the confederation existed, and maybe it is one of the reasons Blair quit.
It is indeed hard: Destroying the homeworld of a species, killing not thousands or ten thousands but billions of sentient beings with one attack, most of them civilians (although if you asked Cobra she wouldn't agree with "sentient" for the Kilrathi, and maybe insist that there isn't such thing as "civilians" when speaking of the Kilrathi)

In many ways I thought it wasn't a happy ending. A race of warriors, in many ways noble and proud, losing their homeworld, the center of their universe, the place where their ancestors came from. A race shattered over many planets, but without a home and too weak to stand against the humans. Losing their identity and their proud.
I felt really sorry for Melek when he finally surrendered.

A little OT:
What happened then, anyway?
I'm thinking of the end of WW2. Where the Kilrathi forced to destroy all their weapons? Did all Kilrathi follow Melek and surrender? Even those who (secretly) stood against the emperor all the time (perhaps the less centralistic ones)? Where there human occupation troops on the Kilrathi planets? And how did they treat the Kilrathi?
And when you think of WW1: In germany there was something called the "stab-in-the-back legend" (Some people insisted that there had still been a chance to win the war, and the politicians who surrendered where traitors), and I can imagine that Melek (and probably his clan, too) was outcast because he had surrendered to the terrans. Do we know anything about that? And if not: What do you guess?

Many questions. Let's find answers.

IIRC, as per the WC4 novelization and False Colors, while the Kilrathi were to have destroyed all but self-defense forces, some of the clans disagreed with it, to the point of being involved in a multi-way civil war for leadership of the Kilrathi.

I had the kilrathi emperor on my desktop(bonus from the privateer 2 disc) for years.
I liked that look, and it had it's grimness, just like thrakhath, he looks to kind? you trying making a realistic alien space cat.

You already destroy several planets with populations even before Kilrah. The Behemoth destroys a planet, then you destroy one with the Temblor Bomb prior to the Kilrah run.
According to the game dialogue, Loki VI only had a small military base on it, while the planet for the Temblor test in Hyperion was supposedly uninhabited. Hardly a case of slaughtering billions in civilian populations.

I found the WC3 Kilrathi to be rather impressive, again, aside from the background extras. I also like the WC2 Kilrathi, often elaborately decorated - Hobbes and Thrakhath both sport earrings!

Finally, I didn't really think about the parallels between the Temblor run on Kilrah and the Death Star trench run until several play-throughs later. :/

IIRC, as per the WC4 novelization and False Colors, while the Kilrathi were to have destroyed all but self-defense forces, some of the clans disagreed with it, to the point of being involved in a multi-way civil war for leadership of the Kilrathi.

Not only clans, but also individual captains like that of Vorgath, who roamed kilrathi space for several years before arriving at Ragark's door. Although that is perhaps the exception to the rule.

Finally, I didn't really think about the parallels between the Temblor run on Kilrah and the Death Star trench run until several play-throughs later. :/
The rebel assault version was a sinch, but the original x-wing version was pretty tough

If it wasn't for the Kilrathi trying to destroy an entire planet with Bioweapons, destroying Kilrah may have been a tougher decision (assuming you hadn't read the Forstchen books). Prior to that, it seemed the Kilrathi enslaved planets but never resorted to mass genocide of civilian populations. It would've been a much more interesting situation if they made a big deal about the Kilrathi being too honorable to resort to such things.

The trench run was a natural decision after the events that lead to that mission. You already destroy several planets with populations even before Kilrah. The Behemoth destroys a planet, then you destroy one with the Temblor Bomb prior to the Kilrah run. Perhaps Confed not only wanted to test it's weapons, but also the resolve of it's pilots. Perhaps that's a reason the Victory was given the assignment of testing the weapons rather than some other carrier. Using a different carrier could allow the Victory to attract less attention and sneak towards Kilrah.
True, they did seem to think that attacks on unarmed civilians was "cowardly" (see Forstchen books and some of the cutscenes in the Special Operations add-ons). However, it also seems that certain segments had deemed Humans as lower than prey and they were to all be exterminated with extreme prejudice. So, from Confed's point of view I think it was do or die (as they wouldn't know how the Kilrathi would treat them after all was said and done).

You also have to remember that the Kilrathi were surprised by the resistance and behaviours of Humans. With the Mantu closing from the other side (and the Kilrathi knowing this), it may have been better for them to just exterminate us rather than enslave and have to possibly deal with rebellions and uprisings while fighting off the other enemy (which apparently was the greatest foe that they had faced up until the Human war began.)

You also have to remember that the Kilrathi were surprised by the resistance and behaviours of Humans. With the Mantu closing from the other side (and the Kilrathi knowing this), it may have been better for them to just exterminate us rather than enslave and have to possibly deal with rebellions and uprisings while fighting off the other enemy (which apparently was the greatest foe that they had faced up until the Human war began.)

Not every Kilrathi was surprised. Remember that prior to the war Baron Jukaga spent some time on Fawcett's World interacting with one human (whose name is completely escaping me at the moment) who told Jukaga quite bluntly that the Kilrathi would lose the war. He gained a unique insight into Humans that he would try to exert on Thrakhath and others with little success...

And to steal from the back cover of End Run

Humans Fight Harder - They Have To

The rebel assault version was a sinch, but the original x-wing version was pretty tough
Cinch. :p

I was speaking with regard to playing WC3 over, not thinking of Star Wars games in particular... because I haven't played many of them.

Back