Wing Commander 2 playthrough

Jdawg

Commodore
hello all, long time no post. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

I am about 2/3rds the way through the base campaign form wc2 and still love it. Wing commander 2 was always my 2nd favorite wing commander game behind 4. I think as a collective the ship designs of the confed are the best in 2. From the rapiers, to the broadswords, I also really like the look of the ferret and epee. The crossbow in the expansion was a great ship although I didnt like the look of it as much as the broadsword. The sprite work is great, I love all the little animations that are just one offs. like landing at a port on a planet. the tractor beam animation and the refueling animation during the mission with doomsday.

I also think the story holds up incredibly well, especially between hobbes and blair, both now outsiders on the concordia, both not trusted at all by fellow pilots and crew members, and they form a strong kinship. I also really liked seeing spirit, angel, and of course paladin again; plus sparks is one of my favorite non pilot characters in any of the games and she is one of my favorite characters in the books. my favorite non pilot/captain in any of the games is sosa from wc4 . The one fault I find is I always felt the romance with angel felt a little forced and rushed in wc2.

Plus wing commander 2 has my favortie take off/landing animation in any wing commander game.

I also really like the designs of the kilrathi in 2, not as good as they are in wc3. (I never understood why chris roberts didnt like the puppets much in three) As a kid playing I thought they where great especially with tim curry voicing Melek.

I dont know what all this really means except all the wing commander games holdup very well. I guess I made this post bc I think we are in a golden age of games right now again. I have been really impressed these past 3 or 4 yrs with gaming. from the biggest games like red dead redemption 2, horizon zero dawn, god of war, uncharted, last of us, witcher 2 and 3..... down to indie games like technobabylon and a crazy fmv detective game called contradiction spot the liar, that it even impresses me more what the wing commander franchise did over 2 to 3 decades before all these games.

Back