Wing Commander 1 Ship(s) question...

Naféasonto

Swabbie
Banned
Why oh why in God's name do I not see in any other game or mod, the Jalthi! That was probably the most impressive ship on the Kilrathi fleet, 4 Lasers and 2 Neutrons, kicked my ass preety quick, and I like it's look too. It would be cool to see that in high res.

2nd question:
What makes the Rapier better then the Raptor, besides the shields?

I have played Wing Commander over and over again, these are questions I always wanted to ask, but always forgot to.

Nafé

I think you'll find camps on both sides of the Rapier vs. Raptor and which is "better" issue. Personally, I'd argue for the Raptor, but that's just me. Game-wise, the Rapier had more speed and maneuverability, plus it was "new". It definately outclassed the Scimitar as a medium fighter (the Raptor, remember, was a heavy and thus had the better armament/armor). Given the different classifications between the two, it probably really comes down to whether you prefer the heavy or medium fighters, because regardless of the WC-game, each has their own distinct pros and cons.

Oh, and in regards to your first question, while I have no clue why the Jalthi hasn't shown up in mods, don't forget about it's little sister, the Hriss. The engines on the Hriss weren't as big a target, but that thing packed one helluva punch with that mass-driver/neutron gun combo.

Mh IRC the Jalthi had a 3/3 loadout...but still is kicking ass if you come in his frontarc.
About having it in highres...well Standoff got a Jalthi...or do you mean a highres model like the Hornet that was shown here at CIC?

The Raptor VS Rapier question...well I think its a what you prefer answer... I prefer the Raptor for its firepower...others might like the Rapier for her speed.

Yeah I defeintely preferred the Raptor to it's fire power. I was like NOOO give me the raptor in a lot of missions, but hey what you gonna do! :) GGRR I really wish they would make another Wing Commander game, I am still hoping for it, and who is Standoff?

Nafé

WC Standoff (in case you didn't check out the link) takes place during the time of the novel "Fleet Action". It leads up to the Battle of Terra, where you get to take a shot at a few Hakaga class dreadnaughts.

overmortal said:
WC Standoff (in case you didn't check out the link) takes place during the time of the novel "Fleet Action". It leads up to the Battle of Terra, where you get to take a shot at a few Hakaga class dreadnaughts.

Is that so? Neat! :D

the Rapier had some very, very, problematic rate-of-fire (to say the least). It took forever for her gun capacitor to recharge, and even with it full, her guns had a very very low refire rate. I often found myself easly tail any Kilrathi fighter, hitting the fire button and the waiting for the shots to come out, cursing I didn't have the Raptor.

The raptor on the oder have, had the Heaviest punch among confed fighters, combind with a murdurous rate of fire. Eoungh to say that if if you lined up a dorkir or a lumbary on it's tail and fired off your guns until you draind the capacitors, it blew up on one strike.

Taking the Kilrathi head-on also worked out much better with the Raptor than the Rapier. Your armor held up and you stood a much better chance of dropping at least one ship on the first pass, if not two (assuming they were Salthi's or Dralthi's).

Yeah, I wouldn´t face any of these head-on:
shot63.png

There's nothing more thrilling then going head to head with a Jalthi in a Raptor...it's like playing chicken at 110 mph. It's a battle to see who lasts...gets the adrenaline pumping while your radar and damage vdu screens are blowing out.

and the big question:
Why go head on with a jalthi, when you have the better manuverability, higher speed, better missile load, and you can easly slip behind it and send it to kitti heaven?

Remember kids- it's all about the kills, but you'll need to get home to enjoy the prestige!

For Raptor vs. Rapier, I would take the Raptor every time. More shields, armor and firepower. The extra speed in the Rapier is not worth the trade off IMO. And in WC2, I deaded every mission where they stuck me in a Rapier II. It seemed like I was doomed to get really pounded every time I flew one.

Seriously, the Jalthi sucks. It has big guns, sure, but it is quite easy to get behind it, and then it is easy to shoot it like hell.

Edfilho said:
Seriously, the Jalthi sucks. It has big guns, sure, but it is quite easy to get behind it, and then it is easy to shoot it like hell.

Looks like it's supposed to be a ship killer - and in a time in which guns can penetrate phase shields, the best bomber/ship-killer is a heavy fighter with lots of guns - a niche were the Jalthi falls right in.

The Rapier II sucked worse than the Rapier to me.

And why go head to head with a Jalthi?

Because you can! (and live!)

::grin::

It's a better story when you gather around and tell the plebes about the time you charged a wing of Jalthis. "Damn those lasers, full speed ahead." It's more intriguing when you limped back home saying, "I gave those bastards a run for the money...I took them head on and I'm the only one coming home." Not quite as impressive as...I afterburned like a coward to whiz past them then hung like a parasite on their ass until I finally busted through the shields and took them out...then I could breath again. Hmm, its a personal opinion.

Back