Wing 3 got a mention for it's unmatched texture quality

delMar

Rear Admiral
German game magazine GameStar hosts a series called "3D graphics through the ages".

After Ultima Underworld (1992) and Doom (1993), Wing Commander 3 (1994) is the third game mentioned there: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/praxis/grafikkarten/2323176/3d_grafik_im_wandel_der_zeit.html

Besides a handful of screenshots, there's two paragraphs lining out what's so remarkable about the game. For the non-german readers among you:
The third installment of Chris Robert's space opera wowed gamers already at the stores. A whopping 3 pounds for the box already made the game outstanding. The premium price of 130 German Mark added to that. Opening the box also was a jaw dropper: most games were still published on floppy disks while Wing Commander 3 was distributed on 4 CD-ROMs (just like Rebel Assault, this really boosted CD-ROM drive sales).

The game's cinematics added to the enthusiasm. Mark Hamill a.k.a. Luke Skywalker played Lt. Commander Blair, the player character. Even in-game, the game keeps delivering. The highly detailed spacecrafts were unmatched at that time. Both, the nimble fighters and huge carriers where fully modeled in 3D and featured highest quality textures that were unheard of at that time.

I hope I got that right, feel free to correct me.

Besides Wing Commander 3, Ultima IX is also mentioned. That's a total of two Origin games among 21 games in total. Not too bad a percentage :)

Back