wing 1 and 2 options

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an insult to Giger!

You think that aliens and spaceships shaped like genitalia aren't "childish"? (And yes the Alien aliens stuff *was* designed out of sexual imagery). I don't see how that makes them any more realistic than a cat-like alien. After all, when was the last time *YOU* actually saw an alien? What?... Never?!!

The kilrathi may not have been designed to evoke fear on sight but that's not what they are about. THere has always been a level of honor, nobility, and grace to the Kilrathi that is aplified by them looking like magestic felines.

If you believe the Kilrathi is one of the best alien races int sci-fi world, that's ok. Kid. :D

It's an insult to Giger!

Here's the really funny thing, and I hope I post this in time for you to see it before you're banned. Both the Kilrathi and Giger's Alien are a matter of function - one needed alien space lions and the other one needed a horror entity that was later likened to a "dragon". They're both a matter of function in story and both do their jobs very well. So, in the end, they both did the jobs they were meant to do - so yes, the Kilrathi are just as good as Giger's Alien.

(As for Giger - in my personal opinion, he's a one trick pony. Biomechanical horrors are neat and all - but theres a lot more talented artists who can do a dozen different subjects have their quality exceed Giger's.)

You think that aliens and spaceships shaped like genitalia aren't "childish"? (And yes the Alien aliens stuff *was* designed out of sexual imagery). I don't see how that makes them any more realistic than a cat-like alien. After all, when was the last time *YOU* actually saw an alien? What?... Never?!!

The kilrathi may not have been designed to evoke fear on sight but that's not what they are about. THere has always been a level of honor, nobility, and grace to the Kilrathi that is aplified by them looking like magestic felines.

ok, I'm back.
Let's see...

Nobody said "Realistic", I said "serious".

The creation of races, creatures, characters generally have a public target. The "Alien" is targeted to be feared, yes, but at the same time try to be convincing for all ages.

And I think The Kilrathi race is targeted to teenagers. By the fact that they are Feline-Humans beings.
Remember the time when Wing Commander came out, there was practically none Adult gamer like right now.... that explain why the Kilrathi looks like that.

So, for an adult, the Kilrathi race could be ok, but If something more serious is looked, the space cats remain short.

Everything depends on the level of demand or knowledge that each one has.
An adult in general has other preferences due to his knowledge that an teenager.

What do you think?

What do you think?

We think your reading comprehension skill is poor. It was pointed out many, many posts ago that the Kilrathi are taken straight from Niven's hard science fiction -- that is to say, classic serious stories rather than simple adventures.

Remember the time when Wing Commander came out, there was practically none Adult gamer like right now.... that explain why the Kilrathi looks like that.

You're absolutely wrong about this. The market in 1990 was nothing like it is today. "PC Gamers" at the time were adult hobbyists who could afford $3,000 PCs... Wing Commander's demographics skew much older than modern day video games do.

An adult in general has other preferences due to his knowledge that an teenager.

An adult appreciates things like historical allegories and well developed background, which are both hallmarks of the Kilrathi.

(As for Giger - in my personal opinion, he's a one trick pony. Biomechanical horrors are neat and all - but theres a lot more talented artists who can do a dozen different subjects have their quality exceed Giger's.)

That's a very good point. The Xenomorph is a neat function of the movie and all... but it looks *exactly* like every other piece of artwork he's ever done.

ok, I'm back.
The "Alien" is targeted to be feared, yes, but at the same time try to be convincing for all ages.

What do you think?

I m thinking what the Kilrathi would say if they had a Sci-fi action Game ,fighting against some child-iss,hairless,funny looking apes for the Alien Race.You are right they are probably discussing the same thing in a parallel universe right now

sorry about the sarcasm but I dont thing our friend here will ever understand

We think your reading comprehension skill is poor. It was pointed out many, many posts ago that the Kilrathi are taken straight from Niven's hard science fiction -- that is to say, classic serious stories rather than simple adventures.

I understand you. I read that was taken from "Niven's Hard science fiction" although don't know it. but Hard science fiction doesn't mean that it is good.
it can be old Sci-fi or not so demanding sci-fi.

You're absolutely wrong about this. The market in 1990 was nothing like it is today. "PC Gamers" at the time were adult hobbyists who could afford $3,000 PCs... Wing Commander's demographics skew much older than modern day video games do.

Could be, I'm from another country and here the young people start to play in home in the nineties.

An adult appreciates things like historical allegories and well developed background, which are both hallmarks of the Kilrathi.

Yes I agree, but there are people who also like more believable aliens.

And about Giger, It's very possible that there are persons more talented than him.
but, that is a good alien!

I m thinking what the Kilrathi would say if they had a Sci-fi action Game ,fighting against some child-iss,hairless,funny looking apes for the Alien Race.You are right they are probably discussing the same thing in a parallel universe right now

sorry about the sarcasm but I dont thing our friend here will ever understand

I understand that all of you are hardcore fans of this game, But ask someone outside of this community.

I understand you. I read that was taken from "Niven's Hard science fiction" although don't know it. but Hard science fiction doesn't mean that it is good.
it can be old Sci-fi or not so demanding sci-fi.

I'm not saying that it's good or bad (though, obviously, Ringworld is a proven classic)... I'm saying exactly what I wrote -- that it's *hard* science fiction. That is, a subgenre which treats its fictional future -- say it with me, everyone -- *seriously*.

Could be, I'm from another country and here the young people start to play in home in the nineties.

In the early 90s, the home market was very divided -- PC games sold to an older audience, while cheaper game-specific systems like the Nintendo were for children. Wing Commander represents a major shift... it was the best selling game of all time when it first came out, and it interested a lot of people in the previously hobbyist-specific PC gaming market.

Nobody said "Realistic", I said "serious".

AD said realistic. And you just said it! You can't say you didn't say something without saying it. You're like Mxyzptlk. Go back to your home dimension!

The creation of races, creatures, characters generally have a public target.

Not really. When the universe was created, what was the public target? When the human race was created, what was the public target?

When Tolkien created the Hobbits, he was just entertaining a thought, he wasn’t planning on anything yet. The target of “The Hobbit” was children and young adults, but you can’t really say that because of this fact all the races Lord of the Rings trilogy are poorly constructed and infantile.

The "Alien" is targeted to be feared, yes, but at the same time try to be convincing for all ages.

I'm pretty sure a lot of adults found it to be as convincing as a Godzilla monster from the 50's, since in both cases they know it's just a guy in a suit and other people pretending to be scared of him.

What makes your comparrison even worst is that the Xenomorph is a monster, without the civilization, culture or character of the Kilrathi.

And I think The Kilrathi race is targeted to teenagers. By the fact that they are Feline-Humans beings.

Teenagers are NOT feline-human beings. Get your facts straight.

It's the other way around, Wing Commander was a huge success in part due to the fact that it was also of the interest of adults to play it.

So, for an adult, the Kilrathi race could be ok, but If something more serious is looked, the space cats remain short.

They are pretty tall, in fact, taller than an average human. And they are not "spaced cats", they are from Kilrah. In Wing Commander 1 the Kilrathi hunted people with their bare claws for sport. Than the used a WMD to kill a quarter of a million people in one single attack. Yeah, that’s something aimed at children.

But that is missing the point. The fact that story is aimed at a younger audience doesn’t automatically make it less serious. It’s just a stupid prejudice.

Everything depends on the level of demand or knowledge that each one has.

What makes everything you say pretty much nonsense.

That's absurd - it's a widely known fact that teenagers have a preference for adult entertainment!

to simplify all this matter...

Ok, there are Hardcore Sciencie Fiction Adults like you guys who think that a Lion-Human being it's very a good idea and there are others Sciencie Fiction Adults who think that a Kilrathi is a little ridiculous. But it's ok, preferences....

The Delance's post is really funny. :)

Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for his kids. An later he kept on writing and create a complete mythology for adults...

Ok, maybe the thing about de teenagers is wrong, but the people who think that the Lion-human beings is not serious exists.

EARGH how are people supposed to create exciting new aliens without some sort of reference to existing species?

Star Trek: humanoids, blobs and furballs

Star Wars: humanoids, bizarre humanoids

Alien: penis-shaped humanoids

Wing Commander: feline and avian humanoids

Lion-human beings

Other than being bipedal what attributes do they have that make them any part human? As well what do you hope to accomplish by coming into a forum for Wing Commander fans and attempting to tell them that the alien characters in something they all love are juvenile.

Other than being bipedal what attributes do they have that make them any part human? As well what do you hope to accomplish by coming into a forum for Wing Commander fans and attempting to tell them that the alien characters in something they all love are juvenile.

hey, we should give him some credit, at least he hasn't resorted to calling us a bunch of furries

EARGH how are people supposed to create exciting new aliens without some sort of reference to existing species?

Why not?

Maybe you can use some reference, Like Alien (again) is a parasite. But a Human Lion or a Chewacca is too much reference to me.

I give more credit to Alien because it is something less familiar.

Wing Commander, Star Trek and Star Wars I see it at the same level of Science Fiction. It can be entertained but it is not serious.

Other than being bipedal what attributes do they have that make them any part human?

I said Lion-Human because they looks like a Lion but they act like a rational Being. And the only rational being we know are the humans. I'm not saying they are Half Lion-half human.

As well what do you hope to accomplish by coming into a forum for Wing Commander fans and attempting to tell them that the alien characters in something they all love are juvenile.

I did not want cause problems. I wanted to express my point and read yours.

It seems to me to be the complete opposite, that you wanted to cause problems and it shouldn't take much forethought to know expressing what you did would cause problems. Now you're expressed your opinion and nobody agrees with you and you should have expected that so why are you still here? Nobody finds any of your arguments valid and other than attempting to cause more problems there is nothing else left for you to do.

Maybe you can use some reference, Like Alien (again) is a parasite. But a Human Lion or a Chewacca is too much reference to me.

I give more credit to Alien because it is something less familiar.

Wing Commander, Star Trek and Star Wars I see it at the same level of Science Fiction. It can be entertained but it is not serious.

Less scary maybe.. but the kilrathi aren't suppose to disgust you. You're just being an ass about assigning you own liittle deffinitions to things that make no sense in the context you are using them. Why would it matter? If anything it just makes you yourself out to be a juvenille in this regard. Your reaction tells us more about you than it does anything about the xenomorphs or the Kilrathi. Can't handle big vagina doors and aliens with dildos in their mouths?

The entire reason Alien is so effective is because it plays on our fears and taboos. The face huggers arms are basically human fingers for example so you have the image of someone being strangled or smothered. It's not because it's so removed from our existance that it's scary, it's the fact that it tweaks at all those various subconcious elements that do related to life.

The kilrathi aren't supposed to be in any way remotely like this. They are effective precislely for similar reasons but their purpose is entirely different.

That's absurd - it's a widely known fact that teenagers have a preference for adult entertainment!

Maybe a little sad, but certainly true! :D Grand Theft Auto anybody?

If it's external appearences and behaviour that Ripperian is hung up on, perhaps we should introduce him to the shivans - strange, barely functional looks and incomprehensible at the same time... :p

I disagree that Star Trek is at the same level as Star Wars - the former tries to tackle some deep and meaningful stuff while the latter is simply a fairytale set in space.

I disagree that Star Trek is at the same level as Star Wars - the former tries to tackle some deep and meaningful stuff while the latter is simply a fairytale set in space.

Don't answer questions you obviously don't have the faculties for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back