Windows XP E-mail problem

Raptor

Spaceman
Hey all. This isn't so much a WC game tech issue as a WC activities related issue. Anyhow, I run Windows XP on the laptop I took with me to Britain. I downloaded and installed the XP service pack 2 last week, and since then have been unable to connect to my ISP's POP and SMTP servers to do my E-mailing. (The process gets as far as "Logging into POP server", and then stays there for a while until the program times out.) This happens with both Eudora 6.1 and Outlook express. Thankfully, I can still read and answer my mail through web based mail, but any list mailing for the Aces is out till I get it sorted. Any thoughts? Also, any reccommendations for other E-mail programs that work well with service pack 2? They need to be able to do list mailing.

Best, Raptor

Does your ISP use some strange port numbers? While the SP2 firewall is much more restrictive then the SP1 one I really didn't encounter any problems with mailing (I did with lots of other stuff however like that new memore protection thing on Athlon machines)...

you should be able to set the firewall to open exceptions.
go into the security panel and take a look. I can't recall the PRECISE procedure, because this is my w98 work notebook, but I use all kinds of online stuff with weird ports owith the firewall on, including bit torrent.

Much appreciated, guys. I *think* the problem was fixed by removing and then re-installing my E-mail programs, but I'll know for sure after I send a couple of club wide mails tonight.

Best, Raptor

Back