Windows XP and Kilrathi Saga

Unforgiven

Spaceman
I have posted here before saying it works, and it does. But not all of it... Just now I posted the following message on the Windows XP beta newsgroup, entitled Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga - Secret Missions 1 which should say it all:
Originally posted on microsoft.beta.whistler.application-compatibility

In Windows 2000, Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga did not work at all. Microsoft
took some steps and it does work now in Windows XP. However, the Wing
Commander 1 addon Secret Missions 1, downloadable via the EA ftp site, does
not work, showing the same symptoms as WC1 originally did, ie. immediately
exiting the application at the campaigns menu. And WC1 itself doesn't work
anymore as well. The SM1 installer does the following:
1. Renames the original wc1.exe to wing1.exe.
2. Replaces wc1.exe with a menu app to select wc1 or sm1
3. Adds sm1 game files, like sm1.exe

Because WC1 itself didn't work anymore either, I decided to try renaming wing1.exe back to wc1.exe and it worked again. And indeed, if I rename sm1.exe to wc1.exe, SM1 works perfectly. I expect the same to work for the character transfer program, although I haven't tested that yet. Running SM1 with the original filename in Win95 or Win98/Me compatibility mode works, but my joystick doesn't work anymore then (Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback II USB). The cursor just moves to the bottom of the screen and stays there. When I unplug the stick it works again.
Now while the renaming workaround works, it's far from elegant. It seems WinXP stores information on how to treat WC1.exe, and I was wondering, can I tell WinXP to treat sm1.exe the same way, or am I stuck with renaming files?
Thanks in advance,

Sven Groot
Beta ID: 388390

I'll keep you informed on anything I learn.

When I had problems w/ WC2 after installing so1 & so2, similar to what you are talking about, I uninstalled them, but kept them in a separate file for later. After completing WC2, I then installed so1 and played it, then applied the same method for so2.

Try installing one game at a time like this and it may solve the problem (at least it worked for moi!). Good luck:)

Al right people, it turns out you can use a nifty little tool called the Application Compatibility Toolkit to create application compatibility settings for other apps, and look the settings already used by existing apps in the database up.
Using this, I have created a custom database that links the same compat settings that wc1.exe has to wing1.exe, sm1.exe and transfer.exe and now all three work, including joystick. :)
If the good people of the CIC so desire I can create a database that fixes all WC:KS addons (SM1&2 and SO1&2) and give it to them so they can put in on the CIC.
Sounds like a plan, no?

OK... hrmmm... talk about raising the dead as far as this thread is concerned!!

I have the Wing Commander KS edition, running Windows XP Pro SP2
and experience exactly what is discussed above.

Renaming the files works perfectly but I'd like a more elegant solution.
I downloaded M$ Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.1 but truth be told, I can't make any sense out of it!

Unforgiven:
Man, if you're still around here, did you ever make that custom database?

Has anyone else heard about such a database?
Or could someone explain to me how I'm supposed to do that?
Or finally, has a better solution appeared in these 5 years?

I tried searching all over the place in this forum and on google but no luck...

Thanks a lot!!

MCSmarties said:
OK... hrmmm... talk about raising the dead as far as this thread is concerned!!

I have the Wing Commander KS edition, running Windows XP Pro SP2
and experience exactly what is discussed above.

Renaming the files works perfectly but I'd like a more elegant solution.
I downloaded M$ Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.1 but truth be told, I can't make any sense out of it!

Have you tried setting the compatability mode for all the executables to either win95 or 98? Right click on the executable for each game and add on and click properties. Then choose the compatability tab.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Have you tried setting the compatability mode for all the executables to either win95 or 98?
Yes I have. When I try to run SM1, SM2, SO1 or SO2 in "compatibility mode" they do run, but with a flickering screen and stuttering sound.
WC1, WC2 and WC3 run just fine without me having to tweak anything at all.

My video card is an ATI Radeon 9700.
Sound is on-board, RealTek ALC850 (EpoX EP-8KDA3+ mainboard).

You only have to rename the file once though, right? There's a patch for Windows 2000 now, but I don't think anything more advanced has really been developed for XP.

The way I understand it, the compatibility update for Windows XP ties settings to a particular file name.
So Microsoft added Wing Commander I & II to their database but stupidly enough only included the files WC1.exe and WC2.exe.
They never thought about making the same settings apply to SM1.exe, SM2.exe, WING.exe, SO1.exe and SO2.exe.

Seems like "Unforgiven" found a way to export or extend this compatibility to the above-mentioned files,
something I have been unable to repeat on my own (which simply means I'm not savvy enough!)

ChrisReid: Yes, if you rename the individual files to WC1.exe resp. WC2.exe it works.
You only have to "do it once" for a particular add-on but if for example you're done with SM1 and want to play SM2,
you have to rename the files again which is rather a pain.

It's of course possible to write a batch file that will take care of all that renaming.
I just think it would be much more elegant to just somehow "update" the WinXP compatibility settings to accept these extra files
Hence, my request for that database Unforgiven wrote about 5 years ago (!)

MCSmarties said:
The way I understand it, the compatibility update for Windows XP ties settings to a particular file name.
So Microsoft added Wing Commander I & II to their database but stupidly enough only included the files WC1.exe and WC2.exe.
They never thought about making the same settings apply to SM1.exe, SM2.exe, WING.exe, SO1.exe and SO2.exe.

If they were stupid they wouldn't have bothered to fix this at all to begin with. It's not unreasonable that they didn't look into changes that might impact the game after downloading some extra missions. It would take substantially more time and effort to track down all the potential add on files for every piece of software than just looking at retail packages. I think the actual reason the expansions are less compatible is a lot more complicated than Microsoft leaving the file name off some sort of master list though. Others have gotten it to work by running regular compatibility mode on the executables.

MCSmarties said:
It's of course possible to write a batch file that will take care of all that renaming.
I just think it would be much more elegant to just somehow "update" the WinXP compatibility settings to accept these extra files
Hence, my request for that database Unforgiven wrote about 5 years ago (!)

You should probably email him then. He has not logged into Crius.net in over a year.

I got the game recently and I started playing around with settings, etc and I have done a slight modification to it to run bat files instead of the exe files. (And written appropriate bat files) - is anyone interested in this package?

What the bat files do is basically rename WC1.EXE to something else, then rename the correct file (wing1, sm1 or sm2.exe) to WC1.exe and execute that, then rename it back.

It's really simple to do and I could just write the instructions here if someone prefers that ? Or is it totally uninteresting? (I've so far only modded for WC1).

I also noticed something else - I can't play WC2 from KS on my XP machine, but if I rename WC2.EXE to WC1.EXE it runs, as if the compatibility settings are broken for WC2 but when you use the settings from WC1 it works.

Also, one naturally must go in and set compatibility options for the files or else it won't work that well.

Reason why I haven't gotten further than I have is simple : I am currently playing SM1 :) Back in the days I remember playing WC1 on my Amiga, but I never really had the pleasure of playing the rest, nor SM1, etc. When I get through SM1 and SM2 I'll likely mod for WC2 as well, unless I get bored and do it anyway of course. But please let me know if anyone wants this, it's basically "unpack the archive in the directory where you have wc1+sm1+sm2 installed".

It's really simple to do and I could just write the instructions here if someone prefers that ? Or is it totally uninteresting? (I've so far only modded for WC1).

It wouldn't hurt to post what you have.

I also noticed something else - I can't play WC2 from KS on my XP machine, but if I rename WC2.EXE to WC1.EXE it runs, as if the compatibility settings are broken for WC2 but when you use the settings from WC1 it works.

That's a good tip.

Ok, Here's the "pack". It only mods for WC1 mind you, not WC2:

For safety, go into the directory where you have KS installed, and go into the wc1 directory. (Default location is "C:\Program Files\Kilrathi Saga\wc1".) Find the file called WC1.EXE and rename it to WC1_OLD.EXE . If you chose THAT name there won't be a problem (because I will unpack a few files and if you pick a name that I've picked you might lose the backup).

Unpack my files straight into this directory (wc1), and check that you now have three .bat files (sm1, sm2, wc1) and one new WC1.EXE file. Now rightclick sm1.exe and select Compatibility, chose Windows 95 and click all the lower checkboxes as well. Press OK. Do the same with sm2.exe and wing1.exe.

Then you can start the game as usual (or start sm1.bat if that's what you want to play for instance, etc).

The difference is that if you look at what's happening you'll get a dos window popping up and staying there until you turn the game off - that's NORMAL. That's the bat script that does the renaming, etc.

Now for the technical - what did I do? Is this spyware, malware, etc?

If you don't trust me (why should you?) - here's how you can reproduce it all.

Download the thing, unpack it all SOMEWHERE ELSE. Copy the .bat files (the bat files themselves can't hurt you - and you can see exactly what they do).

Backup WC1.EXE as above and then open up your favorite hex editor (I use UltraEdit) and open the file WC1.EXE. The following instructions pertain to UltraEdit, but it's only minor differences to using a different hex editor.

Press CTRL-F (that's the search function), and search for "wing1.exe" (note the case).

The location in the file is displayed on the LEFT and should read 00018b40h. On the left you have the "hex view" and to the right is the "text view". Left click on the "w" once (the w in wing1.exe"). Now type "wc1.bat" EXACTLY. NOT WC1.bat, not wc1.BAT or wing1.bat, but EXACTLY wc1.bat. Note that you now have a few characters (an x and an e). To the left (in the HEX view), on the line you're currently on, find the "78" followed by the "65". Left click on the "7" and press "0" four (4) times. Note how the x and the e disappears on the right.

Go down a little further on screen and find the "sm1.exe" line. It should be at offset 00018bc0h. On the right (text view), left click on the first "e" in "exe" and simply enter "bat" so that sm1.exe is now sm1.bat.

Go down a little further and find sm2.exe (offset 00018c00h) and do the same (change exe to bat).

Now the four "lines" above should all read:
wc1.bat
transfer.exe
sm1.bat
sm2.bat

With lines inbetween that have only zeroes in the hex view.

When you're sure you've done correctly, press CTRL-S (saves the file) and quit UltraEdit.

EDIT: Ok, seems I can't attach a .rar file here. I'll see about hosting it elsewhere then.

Easiest is just to use the top way (download and unpack my files) but you can use the other way, I am sure someone else can verify that the files I've uploaded ONLY have the above mentioned modification.

Here are the bat files I was speaking about:

Put the mouse on the @ in the section below, hold down left mousebutton and move it down to the "E" in EXE on the last line. Now press CTRL-C to copy it.

Open up NOTEPAD and press CTRL-V and the copied text should appear.
Press CTRL-S and a go to where KS is installed, default as the post above.

Change "Save as type" to "all files" and enter "wc1.bat", press Save, close notepad.

Then do the same to sm1.bat and sm2.bat (taken from respective window below):

Go into the directory where KS is installed and check that you have the three bat files there. Now, without modifying (hex thing above) you can simply doubleclick wc1.bat or sm1.bat or sm2.bat if you want to play any of them, but if you want to use the launcher, you need to do the modification to the launcher file (WC1.EXE).

wc1.bat:
Code:
@echo off
ren WC1.EXE WC1_BAK.EXE
ren wing1.exe WC1.EXE
WC1.EXE
ren WC1.exe wing1.exe
ren WC1_BAK.exe WC1.EXE

sm1.bat:
Code:
@echo off
ren WC1.EXE WC1_BAK.EXE
ren sm1.exe WC1.EXE
WC1.EXE
ren WC1.exe sm1.exe
ren WC1_BAK.exe WC1.EXE

sm2.bat:
Code:
@echo off
ren WC1.EXE WC1_BAK.EXE
ren sm2.exe WC1.EXE
WC1.EXE
ren WC1.exe sm2.exe
ren WC1_BAK.exe WC1.EXE

I'll still see about hosting the package somewhere for you all for those that don't want to hexedit / muck with the files like this.

Hey, I think I saw a Dralthi fly by outside my window. Better go take care of them furballs.

That would be fantastic! I have no clue as to do that type of stuff without launching a first strike or something. I don't have a copy of DOS WC1 and knew that XP and KS don't get along, hopefully with this I can fire it up again! Thanks for the great tips!

If you don't care about sm1/sm2 you can just do this:

Install it (well doh).
Go into the "wc1" directory. Rightclick the WC1.EXE file and chose "properties".
On the compatibility tab, select Windows 95 and check all the checkboxes, 256 colors, etc etc ..

That should make it work. It's only if you care about playing sm1 and/or sm2 that you can use my method to get it to run.

Oh, and if you do install the normal game first and do what I just wrote here, and THEN decide to install sm1 and sm2, I do recommend to rightclick WC1.EXE and remove all the checkboxes (or it will change resolution when it launches the sm1/sm2 launcher, which we're not interested in ..).

Then set the checkboxes/set Windows 95 mode on wing1.exe, sm1.exe and sm2.exe.

But the simplest way is :

Install KS, install sm1+sm2, set compatibility options to Windows95+all checkboxes on wing1.exe, sm1.exe and sm2.exe, then create the 3 bat files above.

Then when you want to play normal WC1, just doubleclick wc1.bat, if you want to play SM1, doubleclick sm1.bat and if you want to play SM2, doubleclick sm2.bat. It's only if you want to use the normal KS launcher that you need to muck about modifying wc1.exe as I wrote above ..

Good luck.

Also, maybe a moderator or someone else can answer this :

a) Can YOU host the package of files somewhere?

If NOT, then

b) Is it permitted for me to link to an outside source where I host it?

a) Is of course best as you wouldn't host the files until you've checked them and you can be sure that I haven't changed the files after getting the official blessing.

Either way is fine. Just be sure to include some text (in your post) about what your files are and do and how to go about using them.

Either way is fine. Just be sure to include some text (in your post) about what your files are and do and how to go about using them.

I can't attach .rar or .zip files on this forum, only pictures, word documents and text files, that's the problem, or I'd have attached the rar I have to the first post I made :)

Ok, Here's the pack. Full instructions here. Ignore everything above IF you are going to use my files :

1) Install KS

2) Install sm1 and sm2 (as that's what this is for ..). You can't do it the other way around (install KS, this pack and then sm1/sm2).

3) Download the file below. "wc1_rename_to_dot_rar.doc"

4) Rename it from "wc1_rename_to_dot_rar.doc" to "wc1.rar".

Why I did that is because the forums don't allow rar files on here .. But they do allow other types of files.

5) Go to where the game is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Kilrathi Saga\wc1".

6) Move the file from where you downloaded it to here.

7) Make sure you have winrar installed.

8) Rightclick the wc1.rar file and select "Extract Here". When prompted if you want to overwrite files, say YES.

9) Rightclick wing1.exe and select "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab and change the top most choice to "Windows 95". Check all other checkboxes. Repeat same procedure for sm1.exe and sm2.exe.

10) Now you can start the game a number of ways:

a) Start the normal launcher, select WC1, select wing commander1 OR sm1 OR sm2.

b) Go into this directory and doubleclick WC1.EXE (it will start the launcher).

c) Doubleclick one of wc1.bat, sm1.bat or sm2.bat. It will start the game directly.

Enjoy.

If anyone does this and it works / doesn't work for you, please post here.

I also included a backup of the original WC1.EXE file so that you don't need to back anything up before you extract.

Attachments

• wc1_rename_to_dot_rar.doc
    33.9 KB · Views: 157
Where can you get Wing Commander 2 Secret Operations from if you have Kilrathi Saga? It's been so long I forgot. Wing COmmander Arena sparked my high with Wing Commander again.

Back