windows vista

Youngblood

Rear Admiral
ive got a new pc and it has windows vista i tried installing prophecy and it just pauses and wont carry on i got secret ops installed but it wont work even on win 95 settings and the worst thing is standoff wont work:( however i have got WC IV working very stange that an old game like that works but not prophecy

ive got a new pc and it has windows vista i tried installing prophecy and it just pauses and wont carry on i got secret ops installed but it wont work even on win 95 settings and the worst thing is standoff wont work:( however i have got WC IV working very stange that an old game like that works but not prophecy

Did you try setting the compatability mode for the installer before installing the game?

it's a feature of this great new operative system (naturally i'm talking ironically).

Microsoft made the new Windows Vista with a great retro-compatibility for old softwares, but someone has forgotten the compatibility with not-so-old programs, like first XP programs (games included). This OS has many problems with games that uses old directx drivers and/or unstandard memory managments.

So, you have 2 choices i think:

1) install a dos emulator (like dosbox, but its resolves only WC 1,2,3 and 4);

2) UNISTALL WINDOWS VISTA

make your choice :p

P.S. that problem will come back with many other software, so reckon with it

sorry for my bad english :p

i got vista on a new pc so i wont be taking it off as i cant see the point hopefully this will get sorted with service pack 1

After all that, and Zeratul's less than helpful reply, what happened? Did you try applying compatability modes to the installer or not? What are your system specs? Are you running in 64 bit mode by any chance?

it's a feature of this great new operative system (naturally i'm talking ironically).

Microsoft made the new Windows Vista with a great retro-compatibility for old softwares, but someone has forgotten the compatibility with not-so-old programs, like first XP programs (games included). This OS has many problems with games that uses old directx drivers and/or unstandard memory managments.

So, you have 2 choices i think:

1) install a dos emulator (like dosbox, but its resolves only WC 1,2,3 and 4);

2) UNISTALL WINDOWS VISTA

make your choice :p

P.S. that problem will come back with many other software, so reckon with it

sorry for my bad english :p

XP games are fine, it's the windows 95 and 98 that have problems. You do realize that WCP is a windows 95 game, right?

Vista runs most XP games fine.

VDMSound works really well in the compatability department. Very user friendly, just set the settings. I believe it could work to get most of the more recent (last decade) games to work and some of the older games as well. Although, it doesn't work with Privateer 1, Ultima 8, and certain adventure games from way back when. Anyway, here is the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

Hope it helps.

XP games are fine, it's the windows 95 and 98 that have problems. You do realize that WCP is a windows 95 game, right?

Vista runs most XP games fine.

So is WCIV and that works fine!! i did try 95 mode before i installed still no joy im afriad my specs are 64 AMD Athalon X2, 1 gig ram, 256 MB Geforce 7600 gs and vista my version is the 32 bit

So is WCIV and that works fine!! i did try 95 mode before i installed still no joy im afriad my specs are 64 AMD Athalon X2, 1 gig ram, 256 MB Geforce 7600 gs and vista my version is the 32 bit

What exactly is the problem? It doesn't load at all? Be more specific, and please use sentences with periods, it's a lot easier to help when the post is as clear as possible.

I'm having a similar problem with Standoff on Vista, I get the fatal error message: GL_d3d_5::createZBuffer attach failed 87
don't know if that'll help, I'm running a system similar to his.

I'm having a similar problem with Standoff on Vista, I get the fatal error message: GL_d3d_5::createZBuffer attach failed 87
don't know if that'll help, I'm running a system similar to his.
This eror message means your system doesn't support the 32bits Z-buffer patch. Open Standoff's configuration menu and set it to 16bits.

Back