• Don't know

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Hey, anyone tried Winamp3 yet?

Maybe it's just my old and slow computer, but I find it far too bloated - I prefer the simplicity of the 'classic' Winamp2. Not to mention that there's little support for Winamp 2.x plug-ins in Winamp3 at the moment.

Anyone else has opinions on it?

I tried it a while ago -- I had some issues with it... I can't narrow it down specifically, but it just didn't run nicely compared to previous Winampses.

Originally posted by Ghost
It works very well in my PC, so maybe you have a problem.
How fast is your PC? I know it's probably meant for nice, shiny, new computers, so that's why it ran slowly, but I was completely lost in it (only played with it for about half an hour before uninstalling and deleting it), and things like the media library didn't work for me - it was useful for correcting misspellings/inconsistencies in my ID3 tags, but it wouldn't update properly.

But, yeah, as LOAF said, it doesn't run as nicely.

Oh, and what do you do for Winamp2 plug-ins?

Originally posted by Wedge009
Well, you'd have no speed-related problems, then. :)

Speed can't undo bloat. Windows Media Player (post version 6) still takes forever to load on a 1.5GHz Athlon XP, because it is bloated as crap.

So you know how badly I fare on a P166. :/

Seriously, I miss the days when developers made the effort to optimise their software, both in terms of execution speed and storage space. Of course, too often this was because they had to, not because they wanted to (pre-CD days).

I have it on good authority that the code for the original WC is a horrible un-optimized mess (G)

Heh, how ironic. Perhaps that's why WC tended to require current 'state-of-the-art' PCs. :) But you do know what I mean, don't you?

Back