Win$uck and Internet excrement :(

No Regret

Spaceman
This isn't WC, but I'll ask here first
smile.gif

I've solved my old "blue screen of death error" I previously had by kicking win98 2nd edition off my comp (thanks to a tip from a buddy about a 2nd edition directx compatibility error or something like that)
Now I've gone back to ole win95, but now I've got 2 new errors. Whenever I play a game (any game, even in wordpad or mediaplayer) it just kicks me back to desktop. no error message or anything. sometimes when I start it, other times when I've been playing for a while. And internet explorer 5.0 has the habbit of kicking me out giving errors about every possible .dll file available, but mostly about kerneol32.dll and smhtml.dll. I didn't get this problem in win98.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you're gonna love this....
Ready?
Use vintage Win98 (first ed.).

[This message has been edited by Stinger (edited August 21, 2000).]

You're yanking my twig, right? it all worked perfectly on my old comp. Damn! Damn them all to hell!!
mad.gif

------------------
The time is near.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Ok, I got me a win98 first edition. Same problems, only know it reboots my computer instead of kicking me to desktop
mad.gif

------------------
The time is near.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

What method did you use for all this? Did you just use the upgrade CD, or did you wipe your OS or hard drive first?

I just put up with the damned back-to-desktop stuff by saving often, and rebooting occasionally.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

I formatted my D partition and left my C partition intact and then installed a complete win98 first ed. on the D partition

Anagram: maybe for you, but for me it's hella annoying!

------------------
The time is near.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I never said it wasn't annoying, just that I put up with it. It was QUITE annoying when my swarm of hard-earned Hydralisks and Zerglings broke through the enemy's encampment, and the game disappeared.

------------------

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Heh... at least the whole computer didn't crash on ya
smile.gif
. This vile beast used to crash about five times per hour, sometimes more, while I was playing StarCraft (and yet, I endured it... helluva game). Fortunately, once I updated every single driver known to mankind, it pretty much stopped crashing (except for once a week or so, when it decides to remind me that it's still a vile beast
smile.gif
).

Well, all my main drivers are current, but I've downloaded this nifty little program called driver detective wich lists all my .dll, .vxd and .drv files. Now to update every single one of them...

------------------
The time is near.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

~LOL~ Well, since I'm lacking in a home PC at the moment, I'm completely lacking in all things WC and StarCraft... 'Cause my novel collection's at home too.
frown.gif
~LOL~

------------------

Back