Will program for free (Bored and Unemployed)

Check your e-mail Q ;)
Dont know why it gave you so much trouble...i just converted and it runs fine, the wings have some dissapearing faces though... but the game doesnt crash :D

The textures must be in indexed colors (256 colors), or it will cause the texture to be corrupted...the .tga you sent me was in RGB mode, but the .mat one was fine.

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-29-2001 at 00:59]

Pretty... :) it's not just the wings that have disappearing faces, though. It is slightly worrying... one of these days, I'd really like to find out what causes all the disappearing faces problems.
Anyway, it may be that Thomas' 3D Exploration plugin has some sort of bug in it, since that's what was used to convert the crashing model.
Still, it may be that we'll stick with this model anyway... thanks! :)

Hmm, come to think of it, what method exactly do you use to convert ships, KW? This disappearing faces thing seems to be happening too often to be model-related... I mean, it happens with most WC3/4 ships too, right?

Not really Q, there are tons of models that work fine...i dont know the cause of the dissapearing faces, but its not in a way that most ships have it...actually most dont have it!
Thinking about it, that might be the tools, i remmember that HCl made 2 conversion tools available, because his first one had the problem of some models with dissapearing faces.
From his info.txt:
" If everything is fine, just proceed with the conversion. If when playing WCP or SO, some faces disappear, use the batch "conv2". It has a dirty fix to a bug i have yet to find "

However i never had success in using his conversion tools...maybe should talk with Thomas about it, might be modelc fault...:(
What makes you think that happens with most models anyway?
I dont use the 3D Exploration plugin...it can read models fine, but saving never worked for me.;)

Hmm, really? Maybe I just haven't used enough of your ships :). I just remember that a lot of WC3/4 capships had that problem. I mean, I've had quite a few ships from you which work without any trouble, but for some reason I was under the impression that a majority had the problem.

Anyway, it sounds like that batch might be what you need... what problem exactly do you have using HCl's tools? Come to think of it, could you use that "conv2" batch file to fix a ship converted using your methods?

I think the older versions of the plugin had trouble with models that use multiple textures... that's another case of "ask Thomas" ;).

The problem with HCl tools is that, every time i tryed to convert a ship with it, the ship and mesh iffs dont work correctly...i will have a try with that conv2 later, but im affraid its used to convert old wc models, not new ones...

Ok,i tryed conv2, but it doesnt work...its for old wc models, not new models :(

I think i will send a mail to HCl, asking if he knows the cause of it. Maybe if Wildcat (im guessing he is the one who made the model), could made some alterations to the wings or something, this could be fixed...?

The problem with dissapearing faces is not too hard to happen, but its not that easy either, as i sayd, most ships work fine ;)

Yeah, you should contact HCl and Thomas.

The model actually comes from the XWA conversion, IIRC... Wildcat put in a hell of a lot of great work to texture it, but I don't think he edited the model itself (though I could be wrong). Keep in mind, though, that the wings aren't the only parts which have this problem - there are two or three disappearing faces on other parts of the ship as well (on the accel absorbers - the engine-like things on top of the wings - and on the rear of the landing-gear thingy on the bottom of the ship). Significantly, I don't remember seeing missing faces on the accel absorbers that Thomas converted as a separate mesh. That could just be my memory, though... I'll check right now. This could be important, because the question right now is whether the problem is caused by the peculiarities of certain models, or by something that the converter does wrong.

Ok, looks like it was just my memory :). Thomas' conversion of the accel absorbers had the same face disappearing problems. So, it's definitely the model - the question now, is what is it about the model that causes it?

The problem has been solved :). D'you want a copy of the final version, without disappearing faces? :)

Thomas has probably written to you already, but just in case, here's what he had to say about the problem:

Thomas says:
The problem was that the second value in the FACE chunk was left blank. It's purpose was unknown before. But it seems to be supposed to hold the D-value from the plane equation D=Ax+By+Cz. Mario said it might be used for the visibility check. And it turns out he was right.

Originally posted by Quarto
Thomas says:
The problem was that the second value in the FACE chunk was left blank. It's purpose was unknown before. But it seems to be supposed to hold the D-value from the plane equation D=Ax+By+Cz. Mario said it might be used for the visibility check. And it turns out he was right.

Sure i want a copy, the model looks great :)
Btw, this means face into the mesh script right? so it is face.wcp...but i cant open it to take a look...never mind i will ask Thomas. :D I just received a mail from HCl, wich says more or less the same thing about it...

Thx Q. I will check later...
Btw, i received the new models fixed today. I would say that the Dauntless is about 70% done :D. Its in game, with correct textures, right scale, correct targeting data and colision tree...but i didnt tested blowing up the components yet, so i cant say for sure that it will work...but since the previous one worked, im almost sure it will, then just have to place turrets...want to place the turrets Q? That way i can move to the next ship once i finish it...;)
Oh, and the bridge have some dissapearing faces, but Thomas can take care of it later right?

Now i know how to fix the disappearing faces on the bridge :D (well at least in theory)...will try it later...
The ship looks fantastic, thx Q :D

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-30-2001 at 21:25]

Well sure, I can try to place the turrets... anything to give you time to capshipise more corvettes :). And yeah, Thomas can definitely take care of the disappearing faces on the bridge.

BTW, Pedro sent us an early version of the Dauntless yesterday, and I noticed something that alarmed me... I couldn't fly into the hangar. I'm just curious - is this something you plan to fix, or is it just easier to leave it this way? See, for cutscene purposes it doesn't matter, since I can switch off the player's collidabity, but I was rather hoping to force the player to do manual landings under some circumstances ;).

You couldnt fly inside the hangar because the tree was not made properly...now it is ;)
I even can put an hangar in it if you want
Bad news though...i not having succes in damaging the ship components...:(
May be because of the tree...not sure...

The Dauntless is finished :D
Im sending it right now to you Q. Just open the turret editor and place the turret hardpoints.
That is 25 gun turrets and 6 missile turrets if im not mistaken :D

Ahh, that ship is just incredible. You know, those turrets shot me down even without being placed correctly... that's a lot of turrets ;). Anyway, I still can't get into the hangar, which makes me unhappy. A hangar component is something to think about.

...What interests me the most right now, though, is what did you do to the VDU? It's using a Remora VDU (933), which we CAN replace! :D

Back