Will program for free (Bored and Unemployed)

shdwcaster

Rear Admiral
Hi, I'm a new college grad with waaaaaay to much time on my hands right now as I'm looking for gainful employement. I'm a programmer, so in order to stay sharp, challenge myself, maybe add a little resume experience, and most importantly, help the WC Universe, I'm offering my (admittedly marginal) programming skills to anyone who wants some help. If interested, please direct e-mail to shdwcaster@yahoo.com .

Talk to Pedro, from UE, he was wanting help with the missions...the scripts are made in Pascal...;)
After that, i could ask for help in making some missions for the B5 mod...

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-25-2001 at 21:05]

Of course, if you have time, you could do both ;). Certainly, I don't think either project would turn you away... especially if you really do have way too much time. If you have way too much time, then we want your time! :)

I talked to Pedro, I'm up for that if he still wants the help. Unfortunately, I don't know much of anything about Pascal, so it may take me a while to actually contribute anything useful. Missions for B5 Mod? Could I get a little more info on that?

Originally posted by shdwcaster
Missions for B5 Mod? Could I get a little more info on that?

We (me, snuzzle and jonas) are doing a mod for B5 using SO engine, have lots of ships done, guns, splash screens and some sounds...also we are tryng to get ships with rotating sections :D, we didnt thought of story, missions or anything like that yet though...

Take a look at http://hermes.spaceports.com/~kwave/
though those are very old, with just one texture, i have new ones with multiple textures, and almost all ships seem in the show are ready, also some not seem...:D
Im going to put up a new site on firstones, once they get the rights problem with my login corrected, im also thinking about keeping the old page for WC only.

Originally posted by shdwcaster
I talked to Pedro, I'm up for that if he still wants the help. Unfortunately, I don't know much of anything about Pascal, so it may take me a while to actually contribute anything useful. Missions for B5 Mod? Could I get a little more info on that?
Well, it's not really proper Pascal, it's WCP Pascal... it's not very complicated to learn, though it takes a good while to truly master it.

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, it's not really proper Pascal, it's WCP Pascal... it's not very complicated to learn, though it takes a good while to truly master it.

Wich is almost the same as Pascal...:D, obviously it have new commands that regular pascal doesnt have, but its very similar...
I learned Pascal in my first year at the university, but hasnt used it since then, i graduated 2 years ago, wich means i hasnt used it in 5 years!
If i only knew i was going to use it again, i woul have praticed a little with it...
Else...hey, i do remmember something :D

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-26-2001 at 23:51]

Originally posted by KillerWave
also we are tryng to get ships with rotating sections
Hey, that reminds me. We at UE have recently received a really beautiful model of one of our ships... the trouble is, that the game crashes every time it comes into view, which leads me to believe that the model has too many faces (1046 is a lot of faces ;)). Now, I've got this theory - if the model could be divided into several separate components, much like the Vampire or the Panther, then it might just work...

What do you think, does that make sense? And, uh, would you be willing to help? I've just performed several tests, modifying an Awacs and an Epee. Attaching parts, and preventing their rotation is amazingly easy (I really should have taken some screenshots, an Epee mated onto an Epee looks real funny... as does an Awacs with an alien capital ship spinning around as its top :D). So basically, what I would do is try to split up the model I have into several parts (I say 'try', because I'm nearly-useles with 3D programs, but I've gotta learn eventually), and then send them to you to convert to WCP meshes. Then I'd take care of the rest (ship-file making).

Just downloaded the mission compiler for UE. Haven't looked at much yet, but I don't think I'll have too much trouble getting the hang of it. B5 models look good. Fair warning, my drawing skills are worse than a Broadsword's flight characteristics. Anyway, experimenting with this UE editor should be fun :)

Oh, it will be :). If you have any questions about it, just ask. I can't say I know how everything in it works, but I do have a fair idea.

Spliting the model into pieces does work, Snuzzle and i managed to get a vorlon dreadnaught model working this way...;)
But since the poly count isnt that big, why dont try reducing the poly count a bit? I managed to do that with some models...
If you liked those old conversions shdwcaster, wait until you see the new ones. :D

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-27-2001 at 22:48]

Well, the whole point of getting a really nice model is to put it in without reducing the poly count :). That's why I prefer splitting it.
Anyway, how many faces should I be aiming at, in the main piece of the model? 700 is what the Fralthi has, so I guess that should do, right?

Also, I'm curious... if you don't think 1046 is a lot of faces, then how many did that Vorlon dreadnought have? :)

The main body has ~670 polys...its split into 3 parts.
1046 is somewhat a high poly count, i rather use about 600~700 polys, though its probably crashing because the number of textures...the shadow crab i have has about 1200 polys and just one texture and runs fine while the primus with 900 polys and 20 textures crashes the game...

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-28-2001 at 02:22]

1200 polys and it runs? I've got a bad feeling about this :(. That model only uses one texture file...

Indexed colour mode? I don't know what you mean...
Anyway, the first experiment has met with failure - after splitting the model into three pieces and getting Thomas to convert them, I found that although the two sub-pieces work, the main body still causes the game to crash :(. So, it can't be the number of polys or the texture - it must be something about the model itself. I'm sending it to you now.

Back