Will Force Feedback be supported in Standoff?

Andropolos

Spaceman
-The reason I am asking is simple. I just got a second-hand Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro Force Feedback, and it OWNS!

-I couldn't really play Starlancer before, but after, well, it IS a kick!

- I understand that there are so many other things left to be done, I am just asking, because I think that there are a lot of Force Feedback users out there, that are wondering the same.

-Plus, from a programming point of view it really shouldn't be that hard. Just a call to a desired feedback action on the shooting of various guns.

-Feel free to smile, smirk, or even cannibalize my Idea (Just had to ask). By the way. Does anyone know a good site with force feedback pro Profiles?

Well, I'm afraid I don't have a friggin clue :p
Does WCP support Force Feedback? If it doesn't, well, sorry, but Standoff probably won't either. (*I* sure as hell can't program such a thing :D)

--Eder

Ok. Another Idea then.

Here is my thoughts on the matter...

Well, it isn't supported, I know that much, but, there is hope yet. What I mean is that there is a profiler program that creates some profiles for your favorite games.

Since I play a lot of WCP, WCSO and WCUE with it, I hope that you won't mind if I make a profile for it.

If you think it is good enough, who knows, maybe you will distribute it with the game. It will make a WORLD of difference for those of us with Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro or 2.

// some tips> ..................{ to be continued}

have no fear.... it will hopefully eventually support it... I've been b*tching at hcl for a while now... join voices with me! if more than one person asks I'm sure he'll add it... BTW the MS force feedback 2 stick also has a linux driver... I'm trying to get the Vegastrike guys to add support.... some support from other joystick owners would help....

Here are the keys of the Profile I am using!

Trigger-> Fire Gun
Shift+Trigger-> Change Gun
Fire2 -> Match Speed
Shift+Fire2 -> View Damage
Fire3 -> Fire Missile
Shift+Fire3 -> Change Missile
Fire4 -> Lock+Target nearest enemy
Shift+Fire4 -> Navigate
A -> Decoy
Shift+A -> Transmit Message "Help me out here!"
B -> Cycle Targets
Shift+B -> Cycle Enemy Ship Subsystem
C -> Afterburner
Shift+C -> Auto
D -> Transmit Message "Attack my target!"
Shift+D -> Wasp Booster Pack

On the Gameplay menu (in all wing commander Prophecy engine games you have, meaning
Prophecy +Secret Ops+ Unknown Enemy + (coming soon! Standoff)

enable

Flightstick Pro
Throttle
Rudder

(There is also invert option- meaning push up to go up, (not the other way around
which is prevalent to all flight emulation games, but that is not recommended)

-Care should be taken that Game Controller Software emulates CH Flightstick Pro
(Don't worry, said program does that by default), more on that following:

-(Important). Go in the Profile editor window and check the following settings:
(press the settings button to go there)
--->Deadzone-> small
--->Ms Dos Emulation-> Ch Thrustmaster Pro
--->Axis swap-> Twist handle to rotate in game

-Then of course run activator. Choose your device (on my case Sidewinder Force Feedback
Pro) and then tick the empty box (after you do it, a red click should exist next to
Wing Commander.swf) YES I KNOW THERE IS REALLY A WING COMMANDER PROPHECY.sw4 on
Sidewinder Precision Pro, but my version IS BETTER :)

-Also, make sure that there its status is OK

***If you have the Sidewinder Precision Pro, change .swf at the end with .sw4
and it should work***

-Version of Game Controller in my system is 3.03.395. The .swf file was tested
and is known to work in all 3+ versions.

-Other options to consider: Use Force on its next to lowest setting (too much force
can cause you tenonditis) and return to center bias to the maximum --Note that this
of course is entirely optional. (Both those options can be found in Joystick controller
tab under settings. Everything else is used (and was made with) Game Controller software
aka the small reticle that sits in the buttom right corner of the screen and has SW with
red letters on it :)

I will send the .zip file to whoever wants it. Hopefully it will be posted.
Thanks!

@Darkmage,

That is magnificent news,
Open source seems to be the only way then.

Hope you enjoy my profile. It really adds tremendously to the enjoyment of the game.

Post if you want me to send it over.

IIRC HCl said force feedback was a maybe for WCP, but I wouldn't pressure him, he tends to have a 6th sense for what can be done and whats most important without recieving requests :)

Originally posted by Pedro
...he tends to have a 6th sense for what can be done and whats most important without recieving requests :)

Very true. He had some features for the fiction patch figured out before we even thought about using the fiction that way :p

--Eder

Back