Wiiiiiiii

Quarto said:
I've always admired the way Nintendo doesn't let anything distract them from their business strategy. Sticking to kid-friendly (...that adults can still enjoy) games is probably the only reason Nintendo is still in the console business.

That and nice multiplayer games.

That's the point of it. You play with your friends on the same place. That's what make Nintendo consoles so special.

Personally I'd like to see both xbox and playstation affiliated developers create more games that allow people to play on the same console. Halo got it right, you could play 4 players on one console and link up to four consoles with 4 players on each console. Why other producers don't do likewise continues to disappoint me. When I have my friends over for a LAN party we're pretty much limited to two consoles so the only games we can all play together (about 8 of us in total) is Halo and Ghost Recon 2.

Ijuin said:
Yeah and if your friend can't come over to your house, you can't play. :p

Well, they've already said that their next console will have plenty of online games, not to mention the online service that allows you to download a variety of classic Nintendo games. There are plenty of game experiences that are just better when you're in the same room though. Mario Parties, Donkey Kongas and wouldn't be quite so great online. Part of what makes those special is everyone jumping around and screaming in the same room. And the very small and light GameCube/Wii facilitate that well.

Maj.Striker said:
Personally I'd like to see both xbox and playstation affiliated developers create more games that allow people to play on the same console. Halo got it right, you could play 4 players on one console and link up to four consoles with 4 players on each console. Why other producers don't do likewise continues to disappoint me. When I have my friends over for a LAN party we're pretty much limited to two consoles so the only games we can all play together (about 8 of us in total) is Halo and Ghost Recon 2.

Yeah. Mario Party 7 has eight-player simultaneous games off one console/television!

ChrisReid said:
Now you're right that Revolution was gaining quite a bit of traction among the online communities, so regardless of whether or not Wii is a terrible name, it is somewhat late to change it in that sense. It might be worth noting that they never changed the code name on the Nintendo DS from the point that they originally pitched it.

I'm not saying they did, this part of your post is my focus. :) It just seems a wiser course of action to have changed the name earlier, or kept the project name as the console title.

Skyfire said:
I'm not saying they did, this part of your post is my focus. :) It just seems a wiser course of action to have changed the name earlier, or kept the project name as the console title.

I don't think that idea would even enter people's heads if the codename was Wii and they changed it to Revolution this week. Changing the codename and finalizing a production name six months prior to launch is pretty normal. Part of the reason the DS kept its codename was probably that they didn't even talk about its existence until six months before release. And a year or two from now, most everyone will have forgotten about Revolution and it'll be completely unambiguous when someone says Wii.

Trust me, Wi- is 'we' or 'wee', maybe with a slight entry u sound (although tomoko never seems to use it), but the W is more distinct that the french oui.

So if there is anywhere the pronunciation is spot on for, its Japan. Ideally I think this should remain a Japanese name, its clever and its the kind of thing that can be well marketted there... unfortunatley the rest of the world is unlikely to take so kindly to it.

Pedro said:
Trust me, Wi- is 'we' or 'wee', maybe with a slight entry u sound (although tomoko never seems to use it), but the W is more distinct that the french oui.

So if there is anywhere the pronunciation is spot on for, its Japan. Ideally I think this should remain a Japanese name, its clever and its the kind of thing that can be well marketted there... unfortunatley the rest of the world is unlikely to take so kindly to it.

Except there is no Wi as a phonetic or syntactic element in the Japanese language. There's "wa" and "wo," but "we" and "wi" do not exist. It's a little bit like the Italian "sb" sound. English has a similar "sp" as in 'space', but we find words like 'Sbarro' awkward to pronounce. It's worse in Japan though, because there is no alphabet to sound out something like "sb." Every sound in the language has a specific character that is only pronounced one way. So the closest approximation that Japanese speakers end up doing is to awkwardly smash together two vowels and form a "oou-ii" sound. There's no spot-on pronunciation anywhere, especially in Japan.

Apprantly "ii" means good in japanese, I read that somewhere. But, if the reasoning behind this name was its supposedly universally easy-to-say pronunaciation, would the japanese company nintendo figure out it was not the case with their own language?

Motorola devised a way to address this problem. Since asian nations that are major markets had difficult spelling the "rola" part, they cut it off outright, now calling themselves "moto" for their celular phone line of products.

Back