Why we’re all here.

Blaster

Rear Admiral
I just replayed WC1 for the first time in quite a while. Often nostalgia makes things seem better than they were and you’re disappointed when you experience them again. That isn’t the case with Wing Commander, it’s just as awesome as I remember. It’s not just a great game for its time it’s still a great game today.

I'm in the process of playing Privateer now. I just finished up the main campaign and am now saving up money for all the RF upgrades.

It was still a great deal of fun starting off in Troy and earning my way to the Centurion and Steltek gun.

Yeah, it's always satisfying to go back and replay through a Wing Commander game. As many times as I've played through many different WC games, what's great is that I still see new things that were overlooked previously.

Yesterday I realized I lack the ability to focus on one game a bit.

I played WC1 (Kurasawa system, I want to win mission 2 for the second time in my career, the last time being 15 years ago)

Then I played WC2, since this is the only WC game I played through only once. But maybe I was just tired or something like that and I wasn't very good. I don't remember the game being so hard...

Then I went back to configure Privateer and I think I succeeded. I still don't really know what to do in the game, as I mentioned this is my first try in this game. But I think I want to finish WC1+2 before trying it... or maybe I don't... well, we'll see. I had fun and that's the only thing that matters :)

I should also try Privateer 1 , Ive never finished that or RF :( . I always got stuck somewhere.

I should also try Privateer 1 , Ive never finished that or RF :( . I always got stuck somewhere.

In Privateer i remember that i got stuck for almost a year in the mission to
rikel, when you face the demons (salman kroiz is their boss?). Then, one day, i got in!
No, sorry, that was tron, one day i passed that mission easily because i started to use afterburners to try to ram them and they just crashed against the asteroids.

Then. i got stuck when the drone appears. I tried to face it a lot of times without realizing that i couldn't beat him, and of course, it took me a while to land in a mining base :D

I remember playing WC1 and being young enough to not really get the gameplay completly, but we'd eject to see all the (losing) cutscenes. But it was WC2 that really sucked me intothe universe. I still get the same sense of magic every time I boot up WC2 in dosbox. And being all nostalgic I kind of have a soft spot for the WC2 music over a soundblaster instead of midi... Still my favorite game music to date.

One of the things I like about WC1 is that the funerals have a different feel to them. In later games people usually can only die at certain points. Often someone will tell you there was nothing you could have done to save them, and they’re right, the death was scripted and it’s impossible to do anything about it. In WC1, on the other hand, there probably was something you could have done. You may have to fly some missions alone and you’ll see an empty chair in the bar and know that you would be having a conversation with that person if they hadn’t died. I think it makes the deaths seem much more tragic knowing they could have been prevented.

I've never bothered with the DOSBox route. I maintain a legacy DOS 6.22 computer in a corner of my "computer room"; it is a Pentium-166 thing, 192 Mb RAM, 2 Gb HD, doesn't even have a modem. It is there solely for playing old DOS games and sometimes to run old DOS apps. Sometimes I write software on it using an old DOS 8/16 bit C++ compiler.

Occasionally (nostalgia?) I will install Privateer or Privateer 2 (what I am playing right now), or Daggerfall or Battlespire on it.

No matter HOW flashy or fancy "modern" games get, they ALL seem to lack something "undefinable" that is present in some of those old DOS games.

Back