Why no Flash Packs?

Ender

Spaceman
I was just wondering why the Flash pack went out of the arsenal after WCIV. I realize that they were black ops experemental weapons, but I would think that confed would keep something that could take out a superbase with ease in it's back pocket.

Maybe Confed still is using them, just not against the Bugs. Remember how Pliers said that the Flashpack wouldn't work against the material that the Vesuvius' outer hull was covered with? Likely it turned out that the stuff coating the Bug ships' armor is resistant to Flashpacks as well.

Eh, I'd see Ijuin's theory as more plausable. I doubt every carrier now has the armor of a Super Carrier.

well lets see, we both said the same damned thing, except for the fact that I said what has been discussed in this forum before. Look up my first thread ever "Whatever happened to the WC4 improvements" everyone on the board was like, well it didnt work on the vesuvius and that stuff has had 10 years to make it into confeds ships and everyone elses, so it isnt that effective anymore and isnt worth the cost of making them. I would assume they were damned expensive to create based on the tech needed for them and as you all know confed was cutting back on military spending, hence the Midway class's existence. Also the bug part of that could fit along, but what is so implausible about technology being instituted fleet wide and anotherone costing more than it is worth, in fact that is the way militaries work, what is created today, is ineffective tomorrow.

Firstly, the flashpack has dubious tactical uses. It can slaughter people as a weapon of terror, but you need to get rather close and it doesn't really offer many advantages over a torpedo.

Secondly, it's very much associated with the Black Lance. This is a Bad Thing.

Thirdly, it isn't effective against capital ships with newer armour. Absolutely every ship in Prophecy (at least the Confed ones...) had armour that could take a flashpack hit. They use the newer armour, hence the requirement to attack components rather than the standard shooting torps anywhere method.

Back