Why is the Space-Sim genre still dead?

All flight sims have been doing bad so song.

There are a few indy sim developers that are getting along just fine. They don't shoot for 2-million unit launch days and have very long development cycles due to a small crew. They are far off the radar, but that doesn't mean they're totally dead.

I think the biggest problem of flight/space sims is that they rarely fit well on consoles and these days it's hard to do a PC-only game.

I have a strong feeling that Starcraft 2 is going to prove the "console or die" nonsense wrong when they decide to whip out their launch week figures.

Single player RPGs? Dead.

Bioware says hello.

Classic (puzzle) adventure? Small episodic releases at best.

This stuff moved to being browser-based/casual. Change of venue.

Beat'em'ups (2D)? Actually never quite died, just suffering a long terminal illness; new MK may prolong life just little more.

If you want 2D you want browser-based or cellphone. In fact I think this is a technology complaint. 2D very rarely shows up in any genre when it comes to a retail release. Only thing that comes to my head that's recent is Alien Shooter 2.

RTS? We may just be watching it die.

Starcraft 2 may show that RTS is fine and everyone is trying too hard to reinvent the genre.

Single player RPGs? Dead.

Fallout 3? Fallout New Vegas? Diablo 3? Torchlight? All those generic fantasy things I don't care about? Then there is, as t.c. pointed out, Bioware. :)

RTS? We may just be watching it die.

Naaah.

Starcraft 2 may show that RTS is fine and everyone is trying too hard to reinvent the genre.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. While I'm not very familiar with all the latest games out there, Dawn of War, and to a degree DoW2 (disregarding it's semi-awful skirmish/multiplayer component,) are both examples of reinvention done right, and then there's the Tiberium-series that could really benefit from reinventing itself, having been the same old thing with humvees replaced with giant space robots then a slightly different giant space robot and then the first robot again for three or four games. Supposedly the fourth tries to fix this, but I haven't played it so I'm not sure how successful it was.

I think the world is almost ready for the pipe-dream we always had (at least, I did) back in the 90's.

Remember thinking "Gee, I'd love to be able to dock in an enemy space station, jump out of my ship, and go blasting away dudes fps style". Anyone else?

It's a pity that Shadow Force or whatever it was called (WC fps) never got off the ground - I guess Origin foresaw the juggernaut that was the First Person Shooter coming around the bend...

I guess Origin foresaw the juggernaut that was the First Person Shooter coming around the bend...

Not quite... Ultima Online was *so successful* that EA eventually shifted all their development to MMO-style games. The trend they saw comming was online games as opposed to FPS games.

I like that: *so successful*. I sense sarcasm!

And yeah, of course, MMO's etc. etc.

Call me crazy but I think the space simulator can bounce back if Electronic Arts can get a talented group of people to develop it.

I mean, looking at Electronic Arts recently (2008-now), they are having a bit of a creative renaissance.

I like that: *so successful*. I sense sarcasm!

Except it wasn't.

UO has always been a money machine for EA. That EQ, WoW, etc are now better known than UO, among the general gaming-aware public (not necessarily gamers, either, as those kinds of games have been featured in more than a few TV show episodes), doesn't change that status.

Again, opinion. You didn't like the new films. That's great! You and the rest of the Internet (it's a big club). There's one big problem, though. It doesn't address what's really going on.

Ok, I don't know why I will write this now, but I am kinda bored. So, my problems with the SW prequels:

Lightsaber obsession:

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"

It's implied in the OT, that those who are extremely powerful with the force, are above the mere physical. That they don't need the lightsaber, which still is just an object.

That in the prequel trilogy Yoda and the Emperor devolved into mere lightsaber-fighters, made the SW universe more mundane.

Unexplained stuff that comes out of nowhere:

The first SW films were pretty straightforward, and if something was introduced, like the Jedi, it was immediately explained what's about (Kenobi: "The Jedi were the protectors of the old republic, before the empire was") Alright!

Now, with the new trilogy, key plot elements are not explained at all. One important plot point is the "prophecy" about "the one", that brings "balance to the force". OK: Who made this prophecy? Is the one who made the prophecy reliable; had he/she made other prophecies that were fulfilled? When was the prophecy made? Why was it never mentioned before?

The same with the Sith: Who the hell are the Sith? The term was never mentioned before in the old trilogy. I thought at first that the Sith were just Jedi that "went dark". But the movies hint at a more complicated background story with them ("the tyranny of the Sith will never return!") that was never explained.

"Revenge of the Sith" - what do they want revenge for? What exactly happened? I felt cheated. I know it is all explained in the books, comics, games etc. but for some one who just knows SW by the movies, it's just unsatisfying. Even a two minute scene, where Anakin would ask his Jedi superiors who the Sith are, and he would get an info dump, would be better than nothing.

The Jedi themselves: To be a Jedi, one has to be "strong with the force", and the OT has presented it as a VERY rare gift. What I got from the Original Trilogy is that there must have been only very very few Jedi. Maybe no more than 40 Jedi in the whole galaxy at once. But this is not how they were presented in the prequels. Seriously, I never would have expected, that they have this gigantic temple and training facilities (with libraries and employees!) That the Jedi order is such a big "high-tech" organization.

And what bothers me most is how they were shown. Basically, they were just a better police force. And not a particulary nice one at that (SWAT in space)

Cops with lightsabers. I expected something more.. "mythical" than that. Something truer to the OT. Their abilities were over the top, too.

It would have been better, if their portrayal would be more akin to "the lone ranger" or "wizard" archetype.

This is completely at odds with the previous films. The Imperial officers and Han Solo didn't really believe that the Force exists even, and they didn't believe in the Jedi powers. But, how can that be? Especially the senior Imperial officers must have witnessed the war (involving hundreds of Jedi) just twenty years ago, and the powers of the Jedi?

I mentioned the demystification already. Worse than the Midi-Chlorians, was the revelation in the last minutes of ROTS, that Qui-Gon is now able to appear as force-ghost, and Obi-Wan could learn it too, if he follows "exercises". YAAAWN.

NEVER EXPLAIN STUFF LIKE THAT IN A FANTASY MOVIE! I can't believe that Lucas dared to explain away the mythical underpinnings of the force and the ghosts, but never explained what really needed to be explained, like what exactly the Sith are.

I enjoy the prequels but will still say that this is an extremely rational criticism of them. Good work!

As with anything, it's hard to cater for every single possible kind of viewer. As someone who was familiar with at least some of background universe stuff, I didn't have a problem with the way the Sith and the Jedi were presented in the prequels.

Back