Why is the Space-Sim genre still dead?

The benefit of licensing a video game IP for your movie/series instead of something you create is name recognition. Ie, Disney is willing to develop an action movie as 'Prince of Persia' because the game sold x-million copies and their surveys show people are familiar with the name (and in exchange they lose some profit--there's fewer licensing options available and you will have some profit sharing agreement in order to get the name.)

Archmedian Dynasty is a great, great game... but I'd be surprised if most ordinary gamers had heard of it, and much more surprised if it had sales numbers that would impress a movie producer.

Well, you're right. Unfortunately.

AD had the best underwater setting I've seen(except the bionts, too cliched), Seaquest is toothless compared to it (sorry SQ fans).

An AD movie/show done right could finally break the "based on videogame = bad" stigma.

Well, if something like Lexx got 4 or 5 seasons, how is AD too obscure? Or have you meant obscure as "not well known"?

Relic Hunter is basically just that.

Relic Hunter=Tomb Raider. Nothing basically.

A wing commander LA series would be advisable, and a privateer spinoff.. But in the 90's.. The only TV-shows worthy of following these days are smallville(currently again), Merlin, and Dr. Who. Ofcourse we all have different tastes in those things.

A wing commander LA series would be advisable, and a privateer spinoff.. But in the 90's.. The only TV-shows worthy of following these days are smallville(currently again), Merlin, and Dr. Who. Ofcourse we all have different tastes in those things.

I do not agree. Further bastardization of the Wing Commander universe really isn't advisable. The movie split Wing Commander fans right down the middle some loved it, others royally hated.

Now I think a TV show based on Wing Commander would be good IF they stuck to the Universe and the way things happened, IF they respected the original models and ship names, and IF they gave credence to the characters.

But seriously look back on Comics>TV Shows, Books> TV shows, Video Games> TV shows, and tell me how often that happens.

Comics:
- Superman on earth
- Green Hornet TV show
- Batman 60's
- "Shazam" (captain marvell)
- Spiderman live action
- Lois and Clark/superboy
- The Flash(featuring Mark Hamill as the Trickster)
- M.A.N.T.I.S.
- The Tick LA.
- Birds of a Feather
- Smallville

Books? I consider comics as books.

Games:
- Super Mario brothers super show
- Relic Hunter was already mentioned

Countless others I either forgot or was never aware of.

And those are just LA shows, movies and cartoons there are a lot of.

There have been at least two serious attempts to do a Wing Commander series (well, you know, aside from the Wing Commander animated series).

Way back in 1996-7 there was a serious push to do a Privateer show.

The pitch developed by Origin was a fan's wet dream.

They wanted to first put out Privateer 2, which would introduce a mystery. The game would star a main character and also introduce the hero for the TV series... who would then go off and have his own show for a year. The show would be a mix of episodic adventures, things that hint at the bigger storyline and crossovers where he'd go on a mission with Blair or the Privateer game character. At the end of the year there would be a Privateer 3 that would bring the characters together and resolve the big storyline.

There was interest in Hollywood, but the whole thing was so complex that it fell apart. The person who did the intiial pitch said he saw some of the Hollywood notes on the project from just before it died and that he was glad it didn't go forward (Privateer guy visits the planet of the Amazon women and so forth).

The other one, that I was actually involved with in some way, was back in 2001 (nine years?! wow--seems like yesterday) was a traditional Space Above and Beyond type story about the beginning of the war (it fiddled with the timeline a bit, sorry). It was much further along when it died--aiming to be a basic cable show (pretty much the slot Battlestar Galactica ultimately got).

Comics:
- Superman on earth
- Green Hornet TV show
- Batman 60's
- "Shazam" (captain marvell)
- Spiderman live action
- Lois and Clark/superboy
- The Flash(featuring Mark Hamill as the Trickster)
- M.A.N.T.I.S.
- The Tick LA.
- Birds of a Feather
- Smallville

Books? I consider comics as books.

Games:
- Super Mario brothers super show
- Relic Hunter was already mentioned
- Countless others I forgot or was never aware of.

And those are just LA shows, movies and cartoons there are a lot of.

I don't agree that any of those remained true to their origins. They were edited, characters were made quite different and new were added.

I don't agree that any of those remained true to their origins. They were edited, characters were made quite different and new were added.

...And those characters, and their additional stuff were taken back into the comics, and are part of the lore. Name one example that does not.

...And those characters, and their additional stuff were taken back into the comics, and are part of the lore. Name one example that does not.

The Uncanny X-Men and most of the original marvel series'

Stan Lee created newer "off shoot" comic series, but the originals remained the same.

The other one, that I was actually involved with in some way, was back in 2001 (nine years?! wow--seems like yesterday) was a traditional Space Above and Beyond type story about the beginning of the war (it fiddled with the timeline a bit, sorry). It was much further along when it died--aiming to be a basic cable show (pretty much the slot Battlestar Galactica ultimately got).

Did that die because of the writers block? Wing1/SM1/SM2 would make a great first season, but how to fill the ten year gap between WC1 and 2.

The Uncanny X-Men and most of the original marvel series'

Stan Lee created newer "off shoot" comic series, but the originals remained the same.

those were cartoons, not live action television series. If you want to include those I have a much, much longer list just from the top of my head.

Did that die because of the writers block? Wing1/SM1/SM2 would make a great first season, but how to fill the ten year gap between WC1 and 2.

Heh, no--dead from ratings. Enterprise premiered to big numbers which prompted lots of interest in developing sci fi properties... Chris Roberts' Wing Commander pitch was all ready to go and there was a great deal of interest--until it became clear that Enterprise wasn't going to keep those first episodes' numbers.

I followed Enterprise from birth to death, but I was still seeing dr. Sam Beckett as the lead character. (Just as I was seeing Sylar playing Mr. Spock)

The series, had they continued, would have had remained with a following of hardcore fans(just like we are here), but, to the commercial machine who thinks only in ratings, that does not mean a damn thing. Still, since you were involved, are there any chances in "re-visiting" the idea??
(Avoiding the issue of Hunter en Spirit whispering to eachother in the dark during a bombardement where Hunter would consider her a traitor because she holds a youing cat in her quarters with Angel pitching in for feminine issues or something like that?)

Alright, how about that awful live actiong Ninja turtles Tv show? :D

Wasn't that a movie? And I think they originated from a cartoon, became a comic and a movie and video game after that. But you'd be surprised how many people in their thirties hate ansjovis and never had them on their pizza :D

The series, had they continued, would have had remained with a following of hardcore fans(just like we are here), but, to the commercial machine who thinks only in ratings, that does not mean a damn thing. Still, since you were involved, are there any chances in "re-visiting" the idea.
(Avoiding the issue of Hunter en Spirit whispering to eachother in the dark during a bombardement where Hunter would consider her a traitor because she holds a youing cat in her quarters with Angel pitching in for feminine issues or something like that?)

The folks who put it together aren't on great terms anymore.

I wouldn't expect to see a space show in the near future--everyone is tripping over themselves to come up with a cheaper version of LOST right now.

I followed Enterprise from birth to death, but I was still seeing dr. Sam Beckett as the lead character. (Just as I was seeing Sylar playing Mr. Spock)

I loved Enterprise and I was really excited about them casting Backula... but there's something strange (intentionally so) about his performance on the show. I don't know if he's trying to avoid being Captain Kirk or if he's trying to be George Bush (don't laugh--we can't be more than ten minutes away from that academic paper) or what.

I didn't mind Enterprise at all... although my hard core star trekkie cousin called it "Quantum Leap 2." It always struck me as a back to the basics show.

The folks who put it together aren't on great terms anymore.

I wouldn't expect to see a space show in the near future--everyone is tripping over themselves to come up with a cheaper version of LOST right now.

UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
You know, there is only one question I want answered about that show; "How does the fat guy sweat so much, forage for food, run a lot, and actually seem to gain weight!?":p

I am not a fan.

Well, in one episode where the mirror universe captain Archer captured the constellation/constitution class ship from the future, the "real" archer appeared to him in a way "Al" from Quantum leap did to outsiders. And, Quantum leap was a fantastic show, and still is today!(with the exception of the pilot with the blinking lighhts in earrings and high heels)

And as for a cheaper version of LOST? Come on, the least expensive thing is CGI these days, any kid with a core I7 and some talent could re-do S.A.A.B. Just look at the cinematic the WC Saga team once made....

Well, in one episode where the mirror universe captain Archer captured the constellation/constitution class ship from the future, the "real" archer appeared to him in a way "Al" from Quantum leap did to outsiders. And, Quantum leap was a fantastic show, and still is today!(with the exception of the pilot with the blinking lighhts in earrings and high heels)....

Yeah I noticed that too. I loved Quatum leap!

In my opinion, Enterprise was a show that suffered from too much executive meddling. With the new Star Trek movie, Enterprise is the only lore that was not touched. The future is up in the air, although it's safe to say that Star Trek was much better than the last entry for the Next Generation crew. I'm sure LOAF just hates me mentioning Nemesis.

Back