Why I say some of the characterization in WC3 and WC4 was not good

I don't think it's specific to Chris Roberts at all, there's this very common sense among... well, us... that the big name at the head of a given franchise is someone who cares about what we're starting to lump together as 'lore'... and the reality is that that's rarely the case. We like to make little Gods out the name at the top of the credits when the reality is that they aren't looking at their work the way we are at all. Take somebody like George Lucas who is incredibly passionate about the minutiae of filmmaking... but who never cared at all about making some cohesive Star Wars world. (Or Gene Roddenberry, a man whose actual genius was what producers really do... arranging financing!)

In the case of Chris Roberts, he's always been motivated by projects that let him move the needle. Wing Commander, Strike Commander, Wing Commander III were all projects that gave him an excuse to do something new and important, whether it was building new technology or coming up with a new way to tell a story. But he's not sitting down and saying 'I want to tell the story of the 26th century space war'... he's hiring someone he thinks will do a good job of that. Most of the 'lore' of Wing Commander is a gloss, written to go with where the technology is being pushed.

He famously didn't want to do Wing Commander IV because it wasn't going to let him do any of that... like Wing Commander 2, the idea was to have a sequel using the old tech out within a year. The bargain he struck with EA was that they'd let him do something new and important--shoot the thing like an actual Hollywood film. The goal there wasn't to tell a particular Wing Commander story so much as it was to set up the whole industry to take a seat next to the folks making motion pictures (which happened to some degree but not as he hoped at the time!).

(If you're interested, the game he wanted to make in 1995 was an RPG called Silverheart that he hoped would merge video and gameplay in totally new ways. EA never let him do it!)

I avoid most Star Citizen news these days and even I saw that! But even though these two comments weren't intended to be related, I think they really are. Because for all the complaining fans do about their IP work... it's still making much, much more money than the arguably better stuff you mentioned. The fragmentation we experience as nerds on the internet does not matter at all to the people behind it. The worst of the recent Star Warses made four times Blade Runner 2049... and that's before endless ancilliary profits! So while we cringe and go "ugh, $48,000 for a video game? that's so stupid" the people on the other end of things are perfectly happy to have that headline making the rounds... because in the end it just convinces a few more people to spend $48,000!
I don't think it's right to compare Blade Runner to Star Wars even the original blade runner was hardly a box office hit. As far as Star Wars goes, Solo lost a crap ton of money and let's be real there's a reason we have not seen a star wars movie in 5 years. Disney in general has had nothing but misfires in 2023. Ant-Man lost money, the marvels BOMBED and so did Indiana jones along with haunted mansion etc... does not help they have to Shell out billions more to finish buying fox or Hulu I cant remember which.

To your point about Star Trek I will disagree after watching countless documentaries about gene, he took the lore and where he wanted it to go very seriously. he had knock down drag out fights about the Next Generation right before he died. He might not have cared about the minute to minute dialogue in detail but the big picture story, he was very passionate about. I remember reading an interview with ronald moore, when he was writing for the next generation and not knowing what to do with a story that Gene Roddenberry wanted because there was no human conflict in it lol.

After reading through this, and doing a replay, it got my mind thinking of a writing exercise of how I would remake/reboot the WC franchise. I might write up a basic draft this weekend. Honestly, my biggest change would be to the timeline and possibly character selection. In regards to timeline, it really seems like WC3 was originally meant to take place after a longer time skip than 1 year. Especially if you alt-s on the ship selection screen where the inception dates on the fighters are all over the map and, in the case of the F-103 Excalibur, take place after the game.

After reading through this, and doing a replay, it got my mind thinking of a writing exercise of how I would remake/reboot the WC franchise. I might write up a basic draft this weekend. Honestly, my biggest change would be to the timeline and possibly character selection. In regards to timeline, it really seems like WC3 was originally meant to take place after a longer time skip than 1 year. Especially if you alt-s on the ship selection screen where the inception dates on the fighters are all over the map and, in the case of the F-103 Excalibur, take place after the game.
Looking forward to seeing your version.

Honestly, WC3 story, from my cursory reading, I think most of it should be overhauled except for the general background and some of the characters.

Looking forward to seeing your version.

Honestly, WC3 story, from my cursory reading, I think most of it should be overhauled except for the general background and some of the characters.
I'm glad more people are coming around to this. I remember when I first came to this board to say anything negative about any of the games was almost blasphemy. but from a story standpoint three does not do a lot of things correctly in my opinion. If you enjoy it great but on a pure Story, and character point of view to me, it misfire on 90% of the characters for me, from personality traits to characterization, especially where we left some of them off in wc2. That's one reason I actually enjoy Wing Commander Saga better than wc3. While it also has a lot of issues especially with some characterization/dialogue itself, it tells a more complete story of the timeline than three does, at least to me.

Once again for the record the wing Commander franchise is my favorite franchise of all time and three while not being the best is still a pretty great game.

Back