Why does Angel spits Trakkath in the face (Wing Commander 3 intro)

boringnickname

Rear Admiral
I am to this day confused about the scene between Angel and Thrakkath in the Wing Commander 3 intro.

Angel's comrades are disintegrated, Angel insists that she should share the same fate, Thrakkath says to Angel that "disintegration is not for you" and she spits him in the face.

We learn later that she gets killed by him anyway

OK?!

1. Disintegration and getting spiked has the same outcome - death. And both seem to be painful (the soldiers didn't cry of joy I guess). The only difference seems to be that the latter is more honourable. So, why is Angel ok being killed by disintegration but is angry about the more honourable option?

2. Am I the only one who expected (before the revelation in the behemoth mission) that something *really* sick happened to Angel, given her outrage?

As you say, death is death. I don't think Angel really cared how she died and I think the implication is that she didn't know Thrakhath was going to impale her personally. So the spitting is just what Thrakhath said, an act of defiance.

You can read up that "really sick" part in the novelization.
I suppose being eaten by Thrakhath and his pals at a party doesn't sound very honourable to her at all

You can read up that "really sick" part in the novelization.
I suppose being eaten by Thrakhath and his pals at a party doesn't sound very honourable to her at all

That happened in the novel? Wow, that is sick.

1. Did Thrakhath mentioned that he is going to spiked her? I don't think, that happened though.

2. Revelation? I didn't know there was a Revelation, going on in Wing Commander 3? Did Angel got sicked? I'm sorry, I just forgot the storylines, :p. I don't quite get no. 2 though.

That happened in the novel? Wow, that is sick.

1. Did Thrakhath mentioned that he is going to spiked her? I don't think, that happened though.

2. Revelation? I didn't know there was a Revelation, going on in Wing Commander 3? Did Angel got sicked? I'm sorry, I just forgot the storylines, :p. I don't quite get no. 2 though.

I'm not sure I understand this post. But anyway, Thrakhath reveals to Blair in the Behemoth mission that Angel is dead. That's the revelation.

I thought ti was a good death,
He at least gave her the honor of a face to face death whereas the others were just put down effectively indiscriminately like dogs.

I am to this day confused about the scene between Angel and Thrakkath in the Wing Commander 3 intro.

As you say, death is death. I don't think Angel really cared how she died and I think the implication is that she didn't know Thrakhath was going to impale her personally. So the spitting is just what Thrakhath said, an act of defiance.

And imagine it from the perspective of someone playing WC3 for the first time. *We* didn't know/expect that Thrakhath was seconds away from killing her. The spitting shows a spiteful fiesty Angel that might just find a way out of the mess she's in. It makes the clip half way through the game where we're shown the rest of the scene all the most impactful.

Here's the scene from the novel:

There was dried blood on her forehead, a livid welt on one cheek, but she wore her defiance like a shield. Whatever the Kilrathi had done to her, Jeannette Devereaux's spirit remained as fiery and determined as ever.

"Still defiant, Colonel Devereaux?" the prince asked. "You should know by now it is a pathetic and useless gesture. The hunt has nearly run its course, and your race is prey beneath our claws."

"You bore me, monsieur, she told him, mustering a faint smile. "I would prefer to join my comrades, rather than listen to more of your boasting."

"You will not join them, Colonel," Thrakhath said. "Your fate shall be different."

Angel replied by spitting in his face. There were hisses and jeers from the crowd, a harsh growl from Thrakhath's throat. He turned to address his nobles.

Back